Hey people, new to all of this!!!

Guest Rocky1804

Guest Rocky1804

Hi people, I'm new to all of this whole forum thing.

I'm 22 years old and have dual nationality, my dad ( the Aussie side of me) died when I was younger and I really want to travel Australia and end up in adeliade hopefully moving out there.

What's my best plan to do this?

Also, can I drive on my full uk license?

Thanks, Ben x

Hi people, I'm new to all of this whole forum thing.

I'm 22 years old and have dual nationality, my dad ( the Aussie side of me) died when I was younger and I really want to travel Australia and end up in adeliade hopefully moving out there.

What's my best plan to do this?

Also, can I drive on my full uk license?

Thanks, Ben x

Hi ben welcome to pia. choice is yours on how you go about making your move many on here have done it themselfs we used an agent pleased we did its what ever suits you there is plenty of help on this site. As for driving in aus if you have permanent residence you have to change licence to aus one no retest.

Hi Ben,

As your dad was an Aussie you can get Australian Citizenship and then apply for an Australian Passport. Have done this for my kids.

Have a look here for your citizenship application http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/Visas_and_Migration.html

And for your passport application look here http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/Passports.html

You will have to be a citizen before you can apply for your passport.

Good luck with everything.

Guest Rocky1804

Hi, I already have citizenship and my Aussie passport :)

And thanks for the advice on the driving.

When I travel I want to drive about, would this at all be possible as I wouldn't have an address to put my details to??

Thanks for your quick replies x

Guest loopylisa

I really wouldnt bother with an agent. You have citizenship so theres really no need IMHO. I also have dual nationality but I grew up in oz so situation might be different but I just applied for my proof of citizenship and passport and just booked flight and et voila. I guess you could just contact the local SA service centre when you get there and they will advise. But you can drive on your UK license for a bit no probs.

If you are planning to move then I would reccomend a company that ships out your stuff per the box rather than hiring whole crates and such like as you will be just one person. The company I used was anglo pacific, they charged £180 pounds for 12 cubic feet of boxes( mostly clothes) you could box aload of stuff at home perhaps and then if you do decide to move to Adelaide then ship it over. Or have it in storage whilst you travel but that will cost. You might be one of those travel light people in which case dont worry. Just something I thought I would share. Shipping for one is different to alot of the info on here which is for families.

Also you wont qualify for a big luggage allowance as you dont have a migrant visa(another reason I ended up using shipping) but singapore airlines increased my allowance when I gave them a call to explain( do say you are emigrating though not travelling) so you might find that extra 5kg useful

Hope that helps

Welcome to the site. Do you have any idea of when you might wanna come out?

Lisa

Guest Rocky1804

Hey Lisa thanks for the info about shipping my stuff, I knownit sounds niave but I'll probably just sell everything from here and just go and the make a complete start out there, I was in Adelaide in sept :)

I finish paying for my car in march, so pretty much then I guess, when I sell that I'll pretty much come over.

So the fact I have my passport and Aussie citizenship makes it pretty straight foward then. Do I literally just turn up and declare myself as staying?

And any advice for me in terms of amounts of money??

I'm 22 so to be honest, not very knowledged in the whole housing Market. Do you recommend renting anywhere in particular?

Or any advice to be honest.

Again, thanks x

Guest loopylisa

I dont think its naive to sell everything and start afresh, I just am too attached to my clothes and shoes as a typical girly girl that I am.

I believe its as straight forward as just turning up and declaring yourself as staying but when I get there permanently in Sept( i went over at easter for a hol and am back here to finish degree) I will let you know any complexities I encounter.

The money one is quite a difficult question as it depends what you are looking to do? Come to Adelaide to work initially and stay or travel around oz. Ive never travelled around oz so cant really give advice on that one(been to a few places but I was ickle).

You would need to bring some money over for a bond if you are looking to rent. Im sure there are lots of threads on here about what you need to think about when renting but http://www.realestate.com au is a good start. As in the UK it would be cheaper to house share and it might give you a chance to meet some new people. As for area it does depend if you are going to have a car and if you want to be near to the beach. If you are not going to be driving initially then public transport links might be something you consider. I will be renting in the inner southern suburbs but Mr Loopy who is a born and bred Adelaidian is really keen on the western suburbs(between semaphore and the western side of the CBD) because he says they are nice and close to the beach but also not far from the city and accessible. I grew up in the outer southern suburbs(Reynella) and personally for me at the moment would feel that they are too far from the city for me.

Oh and as far as I know if you are looking for a job and are unemployed then as a citizen you would be entitled to claim centrelink(like jobseekers) whilst you look for work. http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/newstart.htm

There is a bit on there you can contact with any questions. You will also be entitled to medicare from the word dot as well

again hope that was helpful

:)

Guest loopylisa

oh and also you might want to think about getting yourself a bank account set up but you can leave this until next year if you are not coming until March. I went with NAB and it was an online form, meeting with advisor at the city branch and then I have a bog standard bank account. They also allow you to transfer funds across before you get your debit card so that you're money will be there in your account when you open it