Swiss - soon to be in Adelaide

Guest Dolphin68

Guest Dolphin68

G'day, we are Swiss and will be moving to Adelaide in January 2012. First on a student visa, we will try to find an employer who would sponsor either of us - most probably my partner as ICT Business Analyst of Electronic Equipment Tradesperson (suggestions are always welcome :-) ).

I am sure we will have many questions on different issue -thanks already for your help.

Cheers

Guest Dolphin68

We live close to Berne, the Capital of Switzerland. I have been skiing many times in the Bernese Oberland above all in Grindelwald and Adelboden. I love to ski. So that's for sure something I will miss.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dolphin68

Hello RockDr - back from our short stay in Berlin - we actually have many questions. Would you have any suggestions with which bank to open an account in Adelaide ? Were you able to do this already from Switzerland ?

Any suggestions on good dealers for used Holden or Ford cars would be appreciated.

Also any tipps for short stay accomodation would be great as we are still looking for a place to stay from Jan 6, 2012 until we get a permanent place to stay. Cheers

Guest Brummie
We live close to Berne, the Capital of Switzerland. I have been skiing many times in the Bernese Oberland above all in Grindelwald and Adelboden. I love to ski. So that's for sure something I will miss.

You will still be able to ski in Australia, we also have snow, but not in South Australia, mainly in Victoria.

Guest Dolphin68

Right - and I suppose you wouldn't have as many people as we have year on the slopes. How far is the drive to the next skiing area ? Do you also have cross country skiing possibilites ?

Hello RockDr - back from our short stay in Berlin - we actually have many questions. Would you have any suggestions with which bank to open an account in Adelaide ? Were you able to do this already from Switzerland ?

Any suggestions on good dealers for used Holden or Ford cars would be appreciated.

Also any tipps for short stay accomodation would be great as we are still looking for a place to stay from Jan 6, 2012 until we get a permanent place to stay. Cheers

Hi, sorry only just saw this.

Several of the large banks (ANZ, NAB, Commbank, Westpac) have accounts that you can open from abroad before you get here. You can transfer money into them before you get here, and all you need to do when you arrive is turn up with your passport (and sometimes a proof of address, even if it's a temporary address), and they'll activate the account. I didn't do this myself, since my partner was already over here with money to support me, and I still ahd a few things to pay for in Switzerland, so I just waited until I was here, opened an account, then once the payments were finished in Switzerland I transferred the lot over and closed the Swiss account.

www.drive.com.au is a pretty good website for used cars. If you join the RAA (breakdown service) they do vehicle inspections to check out the condition of the used car before you buy it.

Where in the city are you looking to stay? You might want to ask the universities if they have any student accommodation you can stay in, since term doesn't start until february.

Chocolate. Don't worry, Mr Haigh travelled to Switzerland about a hundred years ago and learned from Lindt-Sprungli, then came back to adelaide and set up a shop. Haigh's chocolate is still going, and it's good. Lindt is available in the Supermarkets. Green&Blacks is also in the supermarkets and also pretty good. Personally, I can't eat Cadbury since living in Switzerland.

Cheese. Adelaide central markets has pretty much any cheese you can think of, so that's covered too. The only thing that's missing is fondue weather (waiting for the first snow of winter just doens't work here...)

hi I'm looking at Aldinga whats it like to live there???

Its a bit outta the way if you dnt work near to where you live.....the shops are good, its quite quiet but it suits us to the ground as we were bit of country folk back in the UK.

Beaches are awesome drive on etc. etc...no need to lump your beach stuff across the beach, it really needs some infrastructure putting in place as i feel it doesnt have enough to cater for the population of the place... that's about the only negative i can find about the place.....

It has heaps of sports facilities, cricket, bowls, hockey, netball, aussie rules syrf club......its a lovely little community..

HG

Guest Jennet
Its a bit outta the way if you dnt work near to where you live.....the shops are good, its quite quiet but it suits us to the ground as we were bit of country folk back in the UK.

Beaches are awesome drive on etc. etc...no need to lump your beach stuff across the beach, it really needs some infrastructure putting in place as i feel it doesnt have enough to cater for the population of the place... that's about the only negative i can find about the place.....

It has heaps of sports facilities, cricket, bowls, hockey, netball, aussie rules syrf club......its a lovely little community..

HG

thats great thanks for the info jennet