Newbie needing advice

Guest ftmummy

Guest ftmummy

Hi all am new to the site so please be patient with me :wink: , so my hubby and I have made the final decision to make the 'big move' to Oz am very excited although a tad nervous too, have been reading lots of threads, advice etc on the poms in oz site and have found it very useful and helpful. So we are hoping to come over on a sponsored visa for my hubby but the big question is WHERE SHALL WE MOVE TOO????,:wideeyed: we have never been to OZ before so this makes it a bigger step for us as i doubt we can afford to come for a visit first unfortunately, we have a little boy who will be 4 nearly 5 when we come over, therefore we want to go somewhere that hs good schools, and lots to do to keep him occupied, have had a brief research on different areas and quite like the sound of Adelaide! can anyone comment on the areas good or bad?? here and in other parts of OZ just to hear from your personal experiences will be very helpful. Thanks all xx

Guest Jennet

Hi well this is a good site for you to start, once this gets going you will properly get alot of different opinions, I have been to Adelaide but some 10 years ago we travelled to Victoria and into melbourne and back through the great ocean road fabulous. Adelaide has changed alot since i have been there and for the better! i have friends who live in Adelaide and we have always kept in touched and thats how i have learnt the changes in Adelaide, my husband is from Perth spent his first 10 years of life there before his parents moved back to the UK his sister has gone back to Perth some 5 years ago and loves it. we were going to Perth to start with but researching deeply for a couple of years i took all the family into consideration and i felt Adelaide was for the better for everyone, schools, university, jobs, and cost much cheaper living than perth, melbourne and sydney, i find Adelaide is more for families and more laid back, i also know lots of people who have emigrated to Adelaide in the past 4 years and loves it. I buy the Australia and New zealand magazine from WH smiths monthly to check things out it helps. but i have made my mind up now and Adelaide it is, i have a migration consultant in Adelaide also. the weather in Perth is very good but i thought it may be to hot for young children but Adelaide has a similar climate but cooler in winter than perth. Melbourne has too many seasons and gets cold so didn't want to much of a British climate. The property in Perth is expensive, look at Aldinga beach an up and coming suburb in South Adelaide sounds really good, good price at the moment for property and loads to do for families, i asked my friend and she thought it was a good choice , also port noarlunga, hallet cove, seaford, moana etc it may help all near the beach. Good luckv:smile:

Guest Marko Robbo

Hi,

Me and my partner was in the same frame of mind, we knew that we wanted to come to adelaide (from a previous visit) but we didnt know which area, so we found a short term rental in an apartment for 1month to allow us to have a good look around the different areas before we tied our selves into a 6/8/12 month lease in an area we may not like. You may pay a little over the odds for the short term rental but at least you know you will be happy with the area you then pick from there.

As for what state you move to really depends on what you want as they are all nice, but do some research on job sites to see which state offers more of your job roles i.e south australia has quite a lot to offer anyone with a trade.

We chose adelaide because it has plenty employment opertunities and the summer does not get too humid compared tother states.

Good Luck

Guest Ryan T. Lion

We went through all this and decided "it's all Australia". You probably won't move to Sydney and decide you should've been in Melbourne (or vice versa) because you'll be too busy making a life for yourself wherever you are.

Climate plays a big part.

Brisbane = tropical and hot all year (some say unbearably sticky though)

Melbourne = weather changes lots, some people say it's a bit British like that. Very busy.

Adelaide = cold(er) winters, hot summers - bit like the Med. Less crazy - but still has everything you want from a city.

etc.....

Sydney and Melbourne seem very, very expensive - for example, the serviced apartment I'm in now is $200/night (corporate rates) and the same chain in Melbourne is closer to $450/night.

One thing we noticed..... We'd heard people describe this as "sleepy little Adelaide"..... NOT TRUE! This place is a huge bustling city with a sprawling mass of suburbs (in a good way). Bits of it feel like Barcelona, bits like Manchester and Birmingham - then you step out of the city and you're in 10,000 acres of gorgeous parkland. The scale of this place is really something.

Generally South Australia has LOTS to offer but in reality it will probably come down to where your OH can find work and where demand is.

I keep an eye on the "going home" section of this site and many of the tales of it "not working out" seem to revolve around fellas not finding work.

Hope that helps - good luck.

Guest loopylisa

Its interesting to here people say its changed alot in 10 years as I really don't agree. I lived there for 10 years and went back recently and its barely changed at all! But I think this is a good thing. Adelaide is the type of city that is happy being laid back and a little out of the limelight and letting Sydney and Melbourne fight it out for the tourists and a place on the international stage. It won most liveable city in Australia for a reason.

Its interesting to here people say its changed alot in 10 years as I really don't agree. I lived there for 10 years and went back recently and its barely changed at all! But I think this is a good thing. Adelaide is the type of city that is happy being laid back and a little out of the limelight and letting Sydney and Melbourne fight it out for the tourists and a place on the international stage. It won most liveable city in Australia for a reason.

What about the southern express way northen express way galipoli underpass the whole front of glenelg has changed used to be a car park new airport ikea clipsal every year and loads of other things.

If you have or are planning to have kids I would recommend Adelaide - very safe, laid back, kiddy friendly, lots of parks, beautiful beaches, known as the "education capital of Auz", lots of festivals, more affordable than most cities, good public transport etc. We came here 2 yrs ago with young children having previously lived in Melbourne 12 yrs ago. We planned to stay here for 2 yrs (in order to gain residency) and move to Melbourne, however now we are here we will definitely stay - far nicer for the children...(however if you are young and kiddy free Melbourne was more of a 'party city'!) I think the climate here is fantastic - the winter nights do get a bit nippy (but not by UK standards) but some of the winter days are beautiful - it was 23 degrees one day last week - better than most summer days in England!

Guest Ryan T. Lion
- it was 23 degrees one day last week - better than most summer days in England!

Yep - that was Wednesday - the day we arrived! Beautiful.

We were on Seacliff beach today - paddling quite happily. The winter sun is beautiful - crisp clear (ish) days, but warm.