One Way Tickets Booked!!!

Sarah & Neil

Hi All,

We have just booked our tickets for our big move to Adelaide!! Exciting times ahead. Anyone got any tips on stress free moving with 2 young children (nearly 3 & 4 months!!)??? Also what is the job situation like at the moment? I am a primary teacher and hubby is a gas fitter/engineer, but we are both willing to do anything to get us 'set up'. So glad we found this site as we don't know anyone in Adelaide - yet!

x

My granddaughters were that age when they moved to Adelaide and coped well with the long journey - hope it goes well for you too and I'm sure you'll soon make friends. Once you know where you will be living I'm sure there will be loads of people on here ready to greet you and help you settle in.

Hello and welcome to the site. Good luck with everything.

I'd suggest taking a bit of time and having a look round the forum for travel and flight tips. A quick search should turn up some threads on the subject.

I'd always say take nightwear for kids to change into. They tend to settle much better for a long sleep if they have some familair routine stuff going on. We always take a night flight from the UK to Aus and our son was 22 months last time. He slept for 8.5 hours between London and Singapore and then for 4 hours between Singapore and Adelaide after a 4 hour stopover at Changi airport to run some energy off and be in the right timezone for his body clock, even though it was only late evening, it was earlier for him so he was ready for bed. We also took his sleeping bag rather than a blanket and he was happy as it was something he knew and associated with sleep and bedtime.

Take a bag for each child. Don't take masses of toys, just a few small things. A couple of books, games and some drawing stuff is always handy. And small snacks and extra drinks cartons. For baby check if you are using formula as to the best way to take it all with you. At that age they are always easier than when toddler aged. 3 is easier than 2 I find.

I always take sachets of Calpol for long haul flights just in case also.

Hi Sarah

our daughter was 3 when we travelled over. we took a bag of colouring books, toys and pens she also was able to watch a few things on the TV and the good thing is at this age is they will sleep when they are tired, if your going through Singapore book the transit hotel its a great stopping place to have a nice shower and a couple of hours sleep in a real bed between flights.

The biggest thing is DONT worry about other people if your kids are upset and cry just try to settle them as you would anywhere else its just one of those things you cant do any more than you are doing... if you get stressed then the kids will pick up on it as well just try to relax and have a great flight x

Kim

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sarah, we have just travelled with a 3yr old i agree with snifter take pyjamas and try to get a night flight. Our daughter slept well on the flight doing just this. we also took a couple of book and colouring books and pens, and if they have a small teddy they sleep with would recommend you bring this as well. Just make sure you keep taking deep breaths and everything will be fine.

Lisa