Well...we made it to Adelaide for a recce...lovely here....

Guest Shmaggle

Guest Shmaggle

Have posted a few times on site with questions about jobs, and we finally came to stay with our friends, thanks for everyone who gave me advice! Near the end of our 2 weeks here before we head to Uluru then Cairns, have had a great time, wasn't quite expecting the rain though!

It's very nice, have been into school, been to church, been to lots of touristy trips, done pub quiz, been into city to shop at central market, used the trains and buses, went to Glenelg and to various cellar doors in the hills (ahem!) busy busy busy, tried to do holiday bits but also think about what we would be doing if we moved here, daily life etc. What friendly people and the town has a laid back feel. I can understand why my friends moved here!

Of course we will be returning to UK from our hols at end of August, will have to see how we feel...but at the moment I am feeling I don't even want to leave!! Maybe I should have a dose of the 'returning to UK' thread and balance my brain a bit...

Watch this space!

:wink:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Shmaggle

Well we're back in cold Kent and still thinking of Adelaide! In reply to Jane and Clive - well, when we were out there my hubbie was asked to apply for a post-doctoral 3 year post at Flinders, which would start Jan 2013. He lost his job earlier this year (research scientist at a well know Kent employer, the closure was in national news, hint hint) and started teacher training last week (senior, Chemistry), takes a year, but a GTP not a PGCE. Considering doing that, keeping house here and renting out so we go for a trial run and leave the window open to return to UK if it doesn't work out. As for his teaching, he would still have the GTP from here so could either teach if we did return OR if we did stay out there, do the conversion course ($$$!!!) and become a teacher there. I have just qualified as a nurse so would then get a year and a bit of experience before we move out there if we plan for Jan 2013.

I should have posted this on the migration issues bit....any opinion on whether to apply via T's visa (3 year sponsored contract before we go) or apply via me as a nurse?? I could technically apply for a permanent visa, which I think may be helpful when there (I may be wrong but you can get more support for childcare costs etc if you have a PR??) . When are you moving?