Why Adelaide?

Guest CDJ_Edwards

Guest CDJ_Edwards

Has anyone who is now settled in Adelaide tried life in another part of Austrialia.

If so why choose Adelaide?

We are looking to come out for a recky in August, firstly to Adelaide but also to Brisbane.

In our research of what life's like down under Adelaide seems to come out on top, but i suppose we won't know till we get there.

I'm a chef in a busy Italian restaurant, my wife is an office manager at Leeds uni, and my son is a typical teenage boy, glued to his X-Box. Occasionally getting off the sofa to play football ( sorry soccer ) on a sunday.

So the question is, will there be work for us plus enough to do for Jordan. Anything really to get him up and moving, and away from his best mate. ( x-box 360)

I realize everyone has different requirements out of their new lifes, but all views on life in Adelaide would be helpful.

Guest Rob and Clare

Hi David / Cheryl,

Clare used to live in Melbourne but quite some years ago, although it does have quite some similarities to adelaide, but basically it's just a massive city. Apparently the largest city in the world by land size. Although it has many good qualities we felt that after travelling to the other side of the world it was just too cool there, but on a holiday there in Feb 2001 in rained for the days we were there. The estates are very similar to here and it reaches down the coast across both sides of the bay. It has some big advantages, cheaper flights to the UK for you or family to visit, cheaper flights for you and your holidays, Formula 1, Tennis, rugby internationals, football internationals (the aussie FA are trying to get England over for a friendly, but you can bet it won't be in Adelaide), and of course 2 of the best stadiums in the world, MCG and telstra dome.

But adelaide is a nicer / cleaner place to live, and it's only a cheap flight down to see any of those events, and we also have V8 supercar racing, a tennis tournament, christmas parade, fringe festival (loads of comics, since we've been here, seen chubby brown, Ben Elton, and Ardel O'hanlon (father ted)).

We also just had a holiday up to Brisbane and the sunshine coast, I'm not sure of everything it has to offer, but we were really impressed with the area, it would have been a tight choice between adelaide and brisbane if we could ga back in time, but they have massive water shortages, some months people have a personal allowance for water.

Never been to perth, but it is now very exepensive apprently and is very remote from the rest of australia, but apparently a gorgeous place to live. and sydney was too expensive in the suburbs we wanted to live.

Guest Fat Boy Fat

I have lived in Six different countries in the last Twenty years and this has to be the biggest Toilet out of all of them. It's full of whinging ex-pats from all over europe. I really am thinking of going back to Cuba.

Guest donna T
I have lived in Six different countries in the last Twenty years and this has to be the biggest Toilet out of all of them. It's full of whinging ex-pats from all over europe. I really am thinking of going back to Cuba.

Bye then, safe journey

CDJ,

We moved to Oz just 3 years ago, hubby joined the RAAF here which means we never really have a say in which area we get to live, we spent the first 2 years living 45 mins south of Brisbane and the humidity killed me, I don't mind the heat but the humidity....... In the two years we spent nr Brisbane we had a family outing once a month, zoo's, theme parks, admittidly the beaches we tried weren't as nice as the beaches down here but it was still a day out all the same.

12 Months ago we got a posting to 40 mins north of Adelaide, no humidity whoopeeeeeeee, on the down side we don't find Adelaide as family friendly as Brisbane and if the Air Force could promise us our house in Brisbane would have AC then we'd move back up there in a flash, (not as quicker flash as I'd move back to uk, sorry having a real homesickness day today).

Because my hubby in is RAAF here our situation is a little differnt to most ex-pats, we'll get to see quite a bit of Oz before we decide where to settle, we've no real rush to buy.

BTW

As a result of all the moving we've done with the Military......

We're in our 14th house in 17 years, not all here in Oz though. :biglaugh:

Danni (our eldest daughter) went to 5 primary schools and 4 high schools.

Tori (on the kids forum) went to 4 primary schools (5 if you count returning to one of them 3 years after leaving it) and so far she's been to 3 high schools.

Cheyenne (youngest daughter) has so far been to 3 primary schools and is only just about to go into yr 2.

All 3 of our daughtes are bright and settled well into each new school, Danni passed her exams, Tori is doing well with all grades of either A's or B's, Cheyenne isn't graded yet as she's not yet 8.

Guest chippie74

we did a reccie!! 2 yrs ago in australia and did a week in every city darwin anti clockwise round to cairns and after our 8 weeks here we decided to go for adelaide.

adelaide just ticks our boxes esp coming from hussle and bussle of manchester

Guest andy&jill

I spent a bit of time in cuba with the military, Off you go then, your welcome to it!!

Guest louiesmum

Not so helpful comment really, you also obviously forgot to mention whinging ex cubans. If its so bad for you & you have moved so much over the last 20 years you perhaps Australia also isn't for you & time to move again

Sorry didnt answer the the important Q, although we are not there yet we visited both Perth & Adelaide, we chose Adelaide for various reasons, affordability, the fact the city isn't that big & had more of a town feel, also it was very green& seemed to tick all our boxes. Good luck with your decisions.

Guest louiesmum

I see from the amount of posts you have put on PIA you are new to this forum. If this is going to be the sort of input you have may I suggest you don't bother in future.

Seeing you have lived in so many countries in a relative short space of time, it seems to me, a person like yourself is looking for something but cannot find it. Perhaps you are looking in the wrong places and perhaps you should be looking at yourself as the problem.

I hope you find what you are looking for, have a good life.

Good luck

Neil:)

Guest CDJ_Edwards

Hi Rob and Clare,

thanks for taking the time out and giving us your opinion on life in adelaide.

We notice that you live in Mawson lakes. Which is a area we have looked at, on the net.

What we have seen and read about the area seems to good to be true, is it really as great as it is painted on the web pages we are reading?

Guest Rob and Clare

Hi David / Cheryl,

I think there is always a level of marketing hype with the advertising, but i must admit we do love the area. The lifestyle it offers really suits us, with the green open spaces, activities and ammenities all close by. It is almost like a self enclosed village, but very friendly.

This is a sample of what the area does http://www.mawsonlakes.com.au/llweb/mawsonlakes/main.nsf/all/cl_summer

There are a lot of great areas though that all offer different things, and as everyone has said before it's all about what suits you and your family the most.

Have fun choosing though,

Guest salisbury massive

We came to Adelaide mainly because my brother lived here, if it had been left to Steve we would be in Brisbane and given half a chance he would probably still go there.

We came here on holiday every year for 4 weeks since 2001, starting in Adelaide and then touring to different states and cities. Eventually as things were getting closer to us moving here I got cold feet and said if it wasn't Adelaide I wouldn't come. I missed my brother so much and I wanted him to have a proper relationship with his 3 neices, which he has got. Also I knew my mum and dad would be happier having us all together in one place so we could support each other. Not that he's been that much help. Beer and sport he's got loads of advice - forget the rest. Ha Ha. We'd also made some friends here from our trips over and I felt Adelaide would give me a more settled feel sooner than trying to go it alone in Brissie. I think Adelaide is a City that creeps up on you after a while, sure Brissie is fantastic, the weather is more temperate and there is loads to do theme parks etc but the pace of life here is so great, people are so friendly and its so easy to get around, I really don't feel I personally have missed out by coming to live here. My brother has travelled and worked in every major city in Australia and he always says Adelaide is the best place to live. The others are great for a holiday but its always fab to return to Adelaide.

Steve would have done better career wise if we'd gone to Brissie, the wages are better and there is more work but the house prices are more so its all relative.Also ther isthe humidity factor, my friend lives 45 mins north of Brissie and she's always complaining about the humidity, traffic and power cuts.

Jo

Bye, dont rush back now ya hear :)

Back to original question, i think it's hard to know exactly what a place is like until you actually live there, we'd been to melbourne countless times over the years and liked it enough to think we'd love it living there. Living there was nothing like spending a few weeks holidaying, even though on our last trip we didn't do the touristy stuff. It wasn't for us at all, moved to adelaide and love it, not as big as melbourne and certainly more laid back, our only regret is we didn't come here first.

HI Maria

just to say i love your ginger cat !!!

we are coming out to Adelaide in April cant wait

jellybean

Hi jellybean, cats name is milo, but he answers to baby, we think hes confused with regards to his sexuality, he *loves* soft toys :err:

Are you doing a reccie or moving perminantly ?

Guest jellybean3456

Hi maria

we are coming ut for 2 and a half years maybe longer . we have been to Adelaide 4 times now . we will be renting at moana for 2 months (we have stayed there before) then will be looking for long term rental after that. we like flagstaff Hill and Happy valley area we had a beautiful ginger cat he would never have coped with quarantine so he is with a lovely lady now and very spoilt !!!! your milo looks very like him . where abouts are you in Adelaide ?

jelly bean

We're in Oaklands Park, a stones throw from Marion shopping centre, but it's close enough to the beach and the city.

We're still only renting though, not sure if we want to commit to a mortgage with interest rates on the rise, but either way will be looking to move, flagstaff, happy valley, Woodcroft or somewhere like that.

We left our cat back in the UK, she was quite neurotic and wouldn't have survived the trip to the airport, let alone the flight, she went to a lovely home to and lives a life of luxury. milo 'found' us just before christmas 06, while we were in melbourne, hes probably the most loving cat we've ever had :)

maria

Bye, dont rush back now ya hear :)

Back to original question, i think it's hard to know exactly what a place is like until you actually live there, It wasn't for us at all, moved to adelaide and love it, not as big as melbourne and certainly more laid back, our only regret is we didn't come here first.

Poor FBF! :)

That's so true! We like Melbourne for a visit, but wouldn't want to live there, although our friends love their life there. Horses for courses, I guess.

It's such a hard question to answer- as you acknowledge in your original post. And with the best will in the world, I don't believe anyone can truly answer it for you. People here are very helpful and many have very sensible advice, but ultimately, what someone thinks after a visit here, or being here a year. or two years may not be the way they feel ten years on. It might not even be the way they feel when they post (she added enigmatically:o) as I've noticed that everyone likes to be upbeat and livin' it and lovin' it until someone opens their heart and posts 'actually I'm not' , when there appear to be a good few who then agree with that.:wideeyed:

We love Adelaide, and always have done. I also loved England - or 'my' bit!

Right, I'll get my coat now! I hope this hasn't seemed negative, and I doubt whether I've added anything you hadn't already considered. I wish you all well,and luck with your decision. We've probably all been there!

LC

Hi, when you say not as family friendly, what you mean, are there the kids not welcomed in some places? please explain as we are moving to Adelaide in March and have 3 boys, and have always thought that they loved kids there?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Markie1

Hi

Know this sounds really stupid, but don't know anything about Adelaide, just like the sound of Happy Valley & Flagstaff Hill, can't say why.

What are the areas like, we are considering a move, we have a 10 year old son, I am a builder and my wife is a secretary. We just want what everyone else wants the impossible it seems, good lifestyle & as long as our son is happy, then so are we.

What are the house prices like and the schools, cost of living etc, it is sending us crazy at the moment.

Thanks

Mark

Hi David and Cheryl

Just read you post about why Adelaide, did you get any good advice about which area to choose. We are torn between Adelaide and Brisbane. We are a year behind you as just starting the process but being from Leeds myself thought i would say Hi. I notice you only mention your 14 year old, is your 19 year old staying in the UK.

I have 2 boys also (17 and 21) the Paul is staying behind but Mike who is 18 this months wants to come with us which again is another big issue and one we are only just trying to sort out as which avenue to take visa wise to get him over with us. Hoping Paul will join in 2 years when OT finishes her teaching degree. That will be the hardest part as have a 2 year old grandaughter (2 this month) and at present cant go a week without seeing her.