I'm still HERE.

Guest Deb17

After 5 years, 1 month and 4 days, I'm still here...just thought I'd point that out for the 'old timers' amongst you. :) Adelaide didn't beat me into a bloody pulp after all, and didn't send me completely insane either (although it was touch and go for a while there...)

I still live in a crappy little house, I still have my reasonably crappy little job with the Health Service (no teaching for me anymore, but at least I make a living wage!) But I did want to point out, for those people about to migrate, that even when you go through absolutely excruciating, living hell, you can survive and come out stronger on the other side. You can't say migration isn't character building.

The things I'm thankful for...the Australian summer and that I can still walk on the beach every day and swim in a WARM sea, that my kids are safe going to school, that I've found good friends who accept me as I am, that I make enough money to put food on the table and pay a few bills, and that I've been to Melbourne and am going to Sydney with my mates in November! Finally I'm getting to visit some little pockets of this 'wide brown land' that I always dreamed of seeing.

A final word...I came here in search of a better life - I didn't get it. But as someone pointed out to me when I first started whingeing and bitching about Adelaide, it's sometimes NOT a better life, just a different one. Live each day one at a time and enjoy the sun setting over the sea...it may be the only bright spot on the horizon for a while...:rolleyes:

Guest cazzie

Hiya Deb,

Well said darling. I am so pleased that you have found your feet in Adelaide; I know how difficult it has been.

It's great that you embrace the good things - the gorgeous surroundings in particular, and those beach walks - not so easy to do in the middle of Birmingham!

Have a fab time in Sydney as I know you will. See you on the sunny side in December!

Love Cazzie xxx

I never understand why some people blame the city for things going wrong. Surely it would not matter where you emigrate you would encounter the same issues on one scale or another.

To the OP congratulations on sticking it out, here's to the next 5 years.

Guest Nick11

So glad things are on the up. Lifes about good mates and good times...which you have achieved. You can have all the money in the world and still be unhappy.

Enjoy x

I remember reading your posts in the past and you have been through such tough times. So glad to hear you've stuck it out and found what works for you. Hopefully things will get better and better. You are an inspiration to anyone who has struggled, or is struggling. Thanks so much for coming back on with an update.

I remember you too and was actually thinking about you the other week. I was talking to a teacher who had been a relief teacher for the past 4.5 years as they had not been able to get a permanent job and in the 4.5 years they had worked in 100 schoools and were sick of it and were now applying for a job in a totally different field.

I remembered your struggles and I think it is very interesting in my opinion how this forum has changed in the 3.5 years that I have been posting and people are now prepared to listen to the negative/difficulties as well as the positive, whereas I think when you were posting people only wanted to hear how great life is here. Life here can be great but it can also be a struggle for all sorts of reasons.

Guest Jennet

thats life in general, it also depends on what type of person you are and what strengths you have to sort things out, you still have to work for a living and for activities no matter where you are in the world!!!

Thank you to all who have commented. In particular Jessica Berry; I have to single your comment out. I keep my teacher registration current, but like the teacher that you encountered, I could see that my life would end up just like that - working in schools all over just to make ends meet, and I really couldn't stick it, after having had my own class. In the end I re-trained and obtained Cert IV in Mental Health, so I now work in rehab. I guess it's just another kind of teaching in the end, and I use the same skill set most days. :)

I just wanted to remind people of the struggles that anyone can go through. If you want to move to Oz make sure you do a hell of a lot more research into the job market than we did, because it's just not the same deal out here. Good luck to everyone who makes it through the rain, to the (somewhat hazy) rainbow on the other side. :) And yes Cazzie, see you on the sunny side in December. xx