new on here.....

Guest katsmajic

Guest katsmajic

Hi All,

Im making the move over to Adelaide in April, with hubby & 4 kids, 16,15,9,&4...

Was recommended to pop on here by 'Vince' - Hi Vince..

Looking forward to making friends - here and when we get there... xxx:v_SPIN:

Guest cunnah10
Hi All,

Im making the move over to Adelaide in April, with hubby & 4 kids, 16,15,9,&4...

Was recommended to pop on here by 'Vince' - Hi Vince..

Looking forward to making friends - here and when we get there... xxx:v_SPIN:

Good Luck!I am moving over probably August with my hubby and 4 kids aged 3,7,8 and 10

Whereabouts are hoping to settle?Do you have any family or friends out there?

Are the kids excited moving to the other side of the world?

Are you leaving a lot of family behind here and do they support you with your move?

You will get plenty of other replies later as they all surface from their weekend lie ins!

Gill

lie ins?!?! :nah: - guess they are all the ones with bigger or no kids then!!!

hello and welcome on pia :wubclub:

it's a great site if adelaide is your destination!!!

we hope to make the move sometimes this summer (around june!??!?!?)

good luck!!

Guest katsmajic

Hi, We have friends out there, my brother is moving to Perth later in the year, and im hoping my mum will follow us, shes coming out on holidays etc to see how she likes it then hopefully, after the 2 year mark she will be ok to move over herself.

So far our family & friends have been really supportive - but its getting 'stickier' the closer it gets.

I broke my leg last year - delaying our move and im sure a few people thought we'd give up then, but were determined to get over and give it a try!

We were bringing our cats - but keep having 2nd thoughts about it, theyre so happy here, theyre both 6, and weve had so many offers to rehome them - Ozzies are not as cat friendly, for obvious reasons regarding the wildlife etc, and our boys - although slobs will happily go out and bring home a bird or mouse as their family offering!!!

Cant bring our dogs - 1 -old lady - due to age/illnees and our boy dog hates the heat - quite passionately - so he's being rehomed..

Its been a rough old journey to get this far 136visa's and we know its going to get rougher! But as my oh says 'lifes a rollercoaster'. :skeptical:

Kat x

Guest cunnah10
Hi, We have friends out there, my brother is moving to Perth later in the year, and im hoping my mum will follow us, shes coming out on holidays etc to see how she likes it then hopefully, after the 2 year mark she will be ok to move over herself.

So far our family & friends have been really supportive - but its getting 'stickier' the closer it gets.

I broke my leg last year - delaying our move and im sure a few people thought we'd give up then, but were determined to get over and give it a try!

We were bringing our cats - but keep having 2nd thoughts about it, theyre so happy here, theyre both 6, and weve had so many offers to rehome them - Ozzies are not as cat friendly, for obvious reasons regarding the wildlife etc, and our boys - although slobs will happily go out and bring home a bird or mouse as their family offering!!!

Cant bring our dogs - 1 -old lady - due to age/illnees and our boy dog hates the heat - quite passionately - so he's being rehomed..

Its been a rough old journey to get this far 136visa's and we know its going to get rougher! But as my oh says 'lifes a rollercoaster'. :skeptical:

Kat x

Hi Kat

I,ve already re homed my beloved Lhasa Apso Dog much to the heartbreak of my children who think i am the worst mother for doing it.My aunt fell in love with her though when minding her for a wekend and begged me to let her have her when we went to oz.I thought ideal situ better to do it now rather than delay things and hopefully give the kids a chance to get over her going!But i miss her myself so much.Not easy!I've also rehomed a few guinea pigs and will be looking for a nice home for 2 adorable house friendly rabbits!You are so lucky having family out there and even luckier that your mum will be able to come out to visit if not to relocate with you!My parents are too ill and elderly to ever make the journey and have no interest in oz!They can't see what all the fuss is about and that we should be happy with the life we have here in the UK!Dreading the time when it will be goodbye(possibly for good)i feel so guilty leaving them "but" do i stay for them or go in search of a better life for us as a family and a better future for my 4 kids!Some of my friends are giving me such a hard time as they would never consider being so cruel and leaving their parents and taking their grandchildren away from them.Makes me feel even more guilty!

Gill

Guest katsmajic
Hi Kat

I,ve already re homed my beloved Lhasa Apso Dog much to the heartbreak of my children who think i am the worst mother for doing it.My aunt fell in love with her though when minding her for a wekend and begged me to let her have her when we went to oz.I thought ideal situ better to do it now rather than delay things and hopefully give the kids a chance to get over her going!But i miss her myself so much.Not easy!I've also rehomed a few guinea pigs and will be looking for a nice home for 2 adorable house friendly rabbits!You are so lucky having family out there and even luckier that your mum will be able to come out to visit if not to relocate with you!My parents are too ill and elderly to ever make the journey and have no interest in oz!They can't see what all the fuss is about and that we should be happy with the life we have here in the UK!Dreading the time when it will be goodbye(possibly for good)i feel so guilty leaving them "but" do i stay for them or go in search of a better life for us as a family and a better future for my 4 kids!Some of my friends are giving me such a hard time as they would never consider being so cruel and leaving their parents and taking their grandchildren away from them.Makes me feel even more guilty!

Gill

My dogs are Lhasa Apso's too.

Thats sad about your parents - but at the end of the day - it is your life, you are doing the best for your family, its a shame your friends and family dont see that. There is very little in the UK for our childrens future - maybe in about 20years once it has come through this 'period' it might be attractive to English working class people again - right now there is no possible way my oldest son will go on into further eduction and own a property/progress etc.

My kids are apprehensive, as are we, but i'd rather die trying than not try at all :idea:

Guest cornish Busdriver

Hiya.

Know how ya feel.

I have had to get my eclectus (australian ) parrot re-homed because he is classed as vermin in Oz.

Broke mine and the missud hearts as we have had him for 8 years.

Still taking the dogs though; got 2 westies.

All our friends and familys are saying "Yes we will miss u but bugger off ; we want somewhere to go on holiday".

Hi,

We moving to Adelaide in march, have three boys 17, 14 and 19, not sure what area we're going to yet, still doing my homework on that one! I'm getting really scared now, as we've never ever been to Oz before, so not sure what to expect, the kids are excited though, and if they're happy! Good luck anyway and keep in touch.

Guest cornish Busdriver

What u meen you didnt even do a recci !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well go with a very very open mind and leave the rose tinted glasses back in the UK.

SCARY

Oh my god, I feel even more scared now. I hope I'm doing the right thing leaving Essex for Oz I know it aint gonna be perfect over there, but I feel like England hasn't got much to offer myself and my children anymore, and am hoping that Oz has.

Guest katsmajic

Hey, we havnt done a reccie either, I'd rather put my hard saved cash into the actual move.

We have researched it to death - we have a friend whos lived there for 11 years now - who is helping us/meet at airport/paperworks/bbq's etc, he's in the same trade as my oh so has helped massively with advice of which companies are good and who not to go near with someones elses bargepole!

We are going with eyes wide open - its not the uk - so wont compare it - we wouldnt want it to be a mini uk - we want a change - we could move in the uk if we wanted the same old...

we have lived abroad before - so are prepared for as much as possible..

Its gona be hard weesp - as long as you remember 'rome wasnt built in a day' & 'how long it took you to make your friends you have now - it'll take just as long to forge strong friendships like that all over again'.

We know we are doing the right thing - we're terrified - be stupid if we didnt have any concerns - the worlds a huge place and i would rather die trying than rock in a crappy chair in the uk when im old wishing i had tried!

Good luck, xxxx

Oh my god, I feel even more scared now. I hope I'm doing the right thing leaving Essex for Oz I know it aint gonna be perfect over there, but I feel like England hasn't got much to offer myself and my children anymore, and am hoping that Oz has.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Good on ya, Very wise attitude.

Better to regret the things you have done than regret never trying them at all.

Im sure you wont regret the move.

Good luck with everything.

Thank's for the great advice made me feel a bit stronger and bit more positive about moving, I hope you don't mind me asking, why did you make the decision to leave cornwall and move to oz as cornwall is absolutely beautiful? would be interested in your thoughts.

Guest katsmajic

Hiya,

Im in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire which is also beautiful...when its not flooded :P

Unfortunately the views are not enough to keep us...

I agree with you though that Cornwall is beautiful - oh and i looked at moving 'south' a few years ago - couldnt find enough work for him unfortunately - manufacturing is dying a death in the uk.

Im in catering so should find a job anywhere...i hope!

How's your kids feel about moving, my kids are 17, 14 and 9 and are excited about moving, my eldest is not too keen on going back to school though as he left last year. We just want to go to a suburb which has plenty for them to do, especially football, still looking at diferent areas, probably need to be there first to decide.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Were leaving Cornwall for various reasons.

We both want a more relaxed lifestyle and warmer climate and to be able to spend more time together.

We have lived in Wales, Coventry, Bath, Bristol, Plymouth then moved back to Cornwall but know where felt like home untill we did our recci to Adelaide and that really felt like home to us both and in many ways its a lot like Cornwall as well.

Guest katsmajic

Hi,

Kids are mixed about moving really, little ones are excited etc, 15yr old daughter keeps chopping and changing - mood at the moment is that shes flying back on her 16th - so will have to see how she settles when we first arrive etc, 16yr old son is looking forward to going back to school - he chose last year to rebell - screwed up his gcse's and only got 5 - he wants a fresh shot at it all and knows its the best way for him to make friends.

Suburbs - well we havnt got a clue really - gota see them before we can decide, the big kids want to go to a sports orientated school, but mostly it will depend on where hubby gets work- hes the main bread winner - well for now;) - im looking forward to getting back to work (been off for 6mths due to breaking leg) but will make sure kids/family are all settled as much as poss before i work fulltime.

Our friends live in Eden Hills, so would be nice to around that area but not really fussy.

There are alot of good schools around with great sporting facilities so hopefully that wont restrict us too much.

All play football, oldest plays basketball & waterpolo competitively, daughter is a superstar rugby player on england pathway (hence us not wanting to go as we are ruining her life) and does harriers athletics. Little man is a scary little pool shark!

Kat xx

How's your kids feel about moving, my kids are 17, 14 and 9 and are excited about moving, my eldest is not too keen on going back to school though as he left last year. We just want to go to a suburb which has plenty for them to do, especially football, still looking at diferent areas, probably need to be there first to decide.

Wow, what a sporty family you have, what does your OH do? Mine is a painter & decorator. Are you on full visa or temp, we're on temp (sir 495). It must be really helpful having friends already in Oz, they must love it after being there for 11 years, do they have kids? I've read that Eden Hills is really nice.

Guest katsmajic

Hi, We're in Bishops Cleeve, where are you?

We're in rented.

(after my first divorce i didnt want to get into mortage business again etc and all my employement from then came with accomodation, which was great, am now in a lovely area paying the same nominal rent agreed before i moved in - unfortunately my family has now grown too much for the house..)

My mums trying to sell up and not having any joy at all. Shes in Warden Hill.

Weesp - we've got the 136 visa, oh is a toolmaker, im a hospitality manager - was a chef, Eden Hills is ment to be lush...so will be out of our price range!!! They have 2 boys, 15 & 9 - our friend is English - trained with my oh, his wifes an Ozzie, he pops back to the uk once a year, but the whole family rarely come over as its so expensive.

Im trying to sort our house up - we've decided to ditch the lot, just take sentimental/photos etc - weighed up £3500+ for shipping to cost of replacing stuff - as our bits have been 'used & abused' by 4 kids its going to be easier to buy out there.

Going to use excess baggage for what we want to take...

HiWhat part of Cheltenham do you live?Have you sold your house yet?Are first buyer pulled out and we are having absolutely no interest at all now.Rachel

Guest Rachel & Jeff

We are in Benhall. Jeff is a welder/toolmaker/boilermaker and whatever else you can do with metal and we also have friends in Eden Hills. We visited in August and yes it does look nice but we prefer closer to the beach although the areas we liked will probably be out of our price range by the time we get there.We were hoping to go in Feb but still haven't got the visa or sold the house so I'm getting really frustrated and feel like I'm living in limbo.

Guest katsmajic

Small world eh?

I know prices are going up - pretty quickly - but one positive is that Adelaide is still the most affordable city etc...you'll have until Oct before you have to fly wont you, which hopefully be plenty of time to sell the house - i know you'd rather it sooner than later - but at least you dont have to rush to validate.

We're going into rental initially - but i'd love to be able to buy straight away, as like you say prices are increasing all the time...

My oh is at Smiths/GE & bored stiff! He used to work at Fletcher Hamilton a small mold tool manufacturers and loved it there - hes had alot of interest shown from companies in Adelaide which is a relief - he's off doing interviews 4 days after landing. He had a job lined up for September - but we couldnt go cos i broke my leg :embarrassed: