Hello......(maybe)

Guest ladyarkles

Guest ladyarkles

Well, I'm hoping to be in Adelaide soon.

My other half is already there and is on a bridging visa 457 > 457 renewal and we are applying to have me put on there too.

Meanwhile, I am sitting in a half packed house in Suffolk wondering wtf just happened in my life!! :wideeyed:

I was just about to start at the local uni, he had just started a new job here in the UK and then "boing!" along came the offer of his old job back (in Oz).

(He is in electronics, which is all very dull and involves immense amounts of geekery).

We had about 2 days to make the decision as his 457 was coming to an end.

Within 2 weeks he was gone and there is now only one lonely toothbrush in the bathroom (HIS; he took mine by mistake).

So, here I am; waiting for clearance Clarence, and wondering what Adelaide is like.

As we have all our household/financial stuff sorted out already, I can be gone within a month of being told all is in order visa-wise.

Currently, I feel a bit like I have been smacked round the gob with a wet kipper; but hopefully once I am in my new place I will get a chance to work out what actually happened!

That's my intro, which has turned out to be more of a impotent scream really. :err:

Never mind.

~ Rachel

Guest gymnast11

ah hang in on there Rachel, just think sun, sea sand and all :) that waits for you on the otherside, im sure you will love your new life, its just the waiting that gets to you, ive ranted a few times but now all smiles, thank the lord for PIA, or i think i may of cracked up, plenty of people on ere that will listen good luck and tc michelle x

I am sure you will love it. Do you know where you will be renting? We arrived here in July with my husbands new job and it has taken us a while to get sorted out (we have two children!!). There are plenty of things to do and if you are wanting to study then Adelaide is the place to be..... Hope all goes well and you arrive on this side shortly. xx

Guest ladyarkles

Thanks Clarks and Gymnast!

When I arrive

(please Lord, make it sooooon )

I will be staying in Norwood.

OH says it is pretty funky with lots of places to eat and such. Will probably have to put off study for another million years until we are settled and so on (also got PR application in pipeline) as I can't afford overseas student fees.

Study is not a necessity as I am a *ahem* mature student and really should know better by now.

:nah:

Luckily enough, I work from home so I can do my thang anywhere....it keeps the $$s coming in at least.

Thanks for the welcome, I do appreciate it.

~ Rachel

Hi Rachel

Norwood is a lovely area, we live only 5 minutes from there. It has lots of places to eat and drink, cinema, shops etc and is only a short drive to the city. Regards,

Louise

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ladyarkles

Right, my 457 has now been granted and I will leave UK on 9th Nov arrive in Sydney on 11th at 7.40am.

Hit Adelaide by tea-time and down the pub for a pint by closing time.

Oh YES!!

Managed to use my airmiles and hit lucky on Business class with Thai Airways LON>BKK>SYD

"Just leave the drinks trolley there, dearie. I'll help meself!" :biggrin:

I think I may be about to accidentally emigrate.

oops!

~ Rachel

Diane is spot on - Norwood is a lovely spot, great for bars, restaurants and girly shopping plus super close to the city and other nice areas East of the city and you are definitely coming at great weather time - unless you hate warm weather that is! How exciting - think it's awesome you're having this big adventure with so little warning/planning - the best things often happen that way - like the last minute party that you don't look forward to, then have a ball. Excited for you - let me know if you fancy a wine/coffee once you're here =)

Guest ladyarkles

Thanks Soo, I certainly will give you a shout!

Lou: moving out of Suffolk is a good thing. I'm an Essex girl and I still can't get used to it round here!

Update: looks like we are going to be in Glenelg for a while til our stuff comes out.

I have been on Google street view and it looks kinda funky, so one more mad old pom should fit in nicely!!

~ Rachel

Guest ladyarkles

Right, in 48 hours I am out of this house!

Just as the cold starts creeping in to the walls.

Hoorah!

My ukelele (Beryl) is packed away and I will not see her again until whenever.

After a final burst of "You are my Sunshine" I put her back in the box, I hope her journey is uneventful.

I am the master/mistress of procrastination so instead of cleaning out the cupboards I am making bread.

WHY???? I won't even be here long enough to eat it! :unsure:

I leave Heathrow Weds PM on Thai Air and have used all my air-miles so I am going to be in Business - (again I say) Hoorah!

Then, after arriving in Sydney, I am on a Qantas flight down to Adelaide.

I am so excited that I can hardly think straight. :chatterbox:

Anyhooooo.......... see you all soon.

~ Rachel

Guest Gemma Parker Gibbon

hi, racheal. Norwood is a lovely place, quiet fancied it myself after arriving in adelaide 5 weeks ago, ended up in Mawson Lakes which is about 15-20 from there. I'm sure when you get here you'll be like "wow what just happened"!

My other half had a job waiting so we were pretty much the same, pack up, ship the house contents off and get here.... He's working and i'm stuck at home 23 weeks pregnant and still hoping someones gonna feel sorry and offer me a job! :cute:.

Adelaide is lovely, and the weather is well great.

All i need now is some friends......:wubclub:

regard Gemma.

Guest ladyarkles

Hi Gemma,

I arrived safely and I really like Norwood. Managed to find a pub on the first night complete with "rock" band and draught cider! Hooray.

The weather is great but I seem to have really nasty hayfever, which feels strange cos I still feel like it should be Autumn!

We are taking an apartment in Glenelg, and that seems like a really funky part of town. Which suits us very well.

We hope to be in there by Friday.

23 weeks pregnant? Just over half way!

How are you finding the healthcare? Perhaps you can hook up with some of the other Mum's at antenatal classes or something.

Having relocated many times around the Asia/Pac region I know how hard it can be to make those initial connections; especially as now would be when you would usually have lots of female friends and family members around you and supporting you.

I met a really nice lady on the plane coming over, she has a young family (Brits) I was hoping to make a coffee date with her sometime next week.

Once I make a firm date, I'll drop you a line and see if you are free. We are all newbies (well, at 5 weeks you are almost a local LOL) and it would be nice to meet up and share what we have found out already.

Hope you get some work soon.

Take care,

Rachel xx

Guest Gemma Parker Gibbon

Hi Rachel,

I like glenelg, just a shame my other half's job is up here. But its only 25 min in the car.

Yeah 24 weeks tomorrow, Healthcare has been good so far, im going with medicare this time as we've not been here long enough to mess about with private yet, i need to start the antenatal classes n im sure ill meet some mums there. I'd have had heaps of support back home, and if we'd have been in Brisbane ive a few friend over that way too. Aw we'll life never easy i suppose...

Thats would be good, i'm not a busy lady so a chat n a coffee would be lovely....i'll private message you my number and lok forward to hearing from you.

Thanks hun,

Gemma x