• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Struggling to settle in

south east, adelaide
      40 times
      hi wOOLMERDJ

I read your post and had my floodgates opened!! Its always sad to hear someone struggling, especially if you're a single parent, perhaps trying to keep your chin up for your child too. I feel for you, I struggled too, not particulalry for money issues,just the seperation of normal life/familiararity. I remember feeling extremely stressed, but had people to speak to. I hope you have the same seperate from this site or perhaps an extension of this site. I dont; wnat to see you struggling, you coul dlaways pm me for a further chat/support.

Quote Originally Posted by woolmerdj View Post
      hi we moved from london 3 years ago, found it really hard, leaving our families behind , we were put into government accomodation for the first 6 weeks untill we found a rental near to our daughters school , it takes time i would never want to be back where we were 3 years ago ,but i can assure you , it will get better, where are you maybe you could meet up with my wife we also have a 15 yr old daughter, all the very best.

david,jane,oliver and elizabeth
      janice1uk likes this.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I had no help with accommodation or anything, so have been feeling the strain, but it's comforting to know that there are people out there who have or are experiencing similar challenges. You are right, it's important to get out and meet lots of people, and I have done that as much as possible on public transport with a teenager in tow. I have found people to be generally more friendly than in England, so think it must be relatively easy to build up a network of friends over time... Some of the feelings are to do with letting go of the old life, some to do with fear of things not working out, and some just because of the overwhelming challenges faced in a strange country. Australia is a wonderful place in many ways, very positive, and full of brave people who who decided to change their lives for the better. I admire all of you here for that. Thank you Poms in Adelaide!
      Last edited by snifter; 29-10-2011 at 09:08 AM.

Port Noarlunga
      102 times
      Londongirl, Im not there yet but sometimes i get down thinking of leaving my older children/grandchildren behind. I know that it will be very hard when we get there and i will no doubt want to come home after 2 weeks. I also know that will give Australia a fair go. i will be lonely when OH gets a job and im at home with the kids but they wont be little for long and im sure i will find something to fill my days. We dont arrive till Feb but if you want to meet anytime then give me a shout but you will be the one cheering me up lol. I hate to think of you stuggling send me a pm and we can sort something out. Hope it gets better soon. Janice.

Hallett cove sa 5158
      45 times
      Hi ... i have been through the very same thing!! i was so home sick!! but things are now on the up,,,,

i am now feeling more settled since starting work. I think its best to take it one step at a time,, i am sure there will be good days and bad days. Try and keep your chin up,,.
      If you ever want to get together for a coffee and a chat please just message me (we live in hallett cove) i would love to meet up.

jules x
      TRA applied july 2010 ,TRA granted sep 2010 ,SS applied Jan 2011 , SS granted Mar 2011, 176 visa applied april 7th 2011
      Medicals june 2011, police checks completed and returned june 2011 , visa granted 22nd june 2011 , will arrive adelaide 3rd sep

sounds like my story - if you want, we can meet for a coffee one day and i will fill you in on the ups and downs ...
      janice1uk likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12