Before or after xmas??

Guest the Tews

Guest the Tews

Hi everyone

Would be most grateful for peoples experience/ideas about the best time to move.

Is it best to fly before xmas (depending on seat availability) although busy may avoid the snow!!, or after - may be bit quieter but does everywhere shut down for xmas and new year? or just wait for after new year when everything gets back to normal. We need to make a decision quickly as we have shipping, schools, rentals, car to sell, notices to hand in at work etc.

:confused:

If anyone has a 4 bedroom rental either furnished or not in the Golden grove, Oakden, campbelltown, windsor gardens and surrounding suburbs please let us know or PM us.

Cheers, Andrea and Syeve

At this end, won't make too much difference, although before christmas, if you have kids, you will be looking at having them with you till schools go back at the January, also, as it is school hols, lots of holiday type accomodation (furnished rentals etc) may be hard to find.

At your end, it depends how desparate you are to get here and how close you are to your family there and who you know here. If you are fairly close, and you don't have 110% enthusiasm and commitment to the move, i would spend christmas there, otherwise you will arrive and may feel more homesick than necessary as you feel you are 'missing out' on all celebrations back home.

Guest the Tews
At this end, won't make too much difference, although before christmas, if you have kids, you will be looking at having them with you till schools go back at the January, also, as it is school hols, lots of holiday type accomodation (furnished rentals etc) may be hard to find.

At your end, it depends how desparate you are to get here and how close you are to your family there and who you know here. If you are fairly close, and you don't have 110% enthusiasm and commitment to the move, i would spend christmas there, otherwise you will arrive and may feel more homesick than necessary as you feel you are 'missing out' on all celebrations back home.

Thanks to both foxychick and lynsteve

We are lucky as we don't really have close family so the actual xmas celebrations are'nt a problem -we will get skype!. It's just a nightmare trying to work out the best time as really want to avoid the snow!! but not get there and everything being closed for a week or two. Really want to get going ASAP just trying to fit it all in place.

Just tried realestate.au, not many 4 beds around but did find a few and I reckon that short term will be hard to find and i've looked in many 'burbs, got to have 4 beds as kids are 14, 12 and 10! Will go back and look in wynn vale. I'm beginning to think after xmas too, oh i really dont know -aaaaarrgggghhhhh

I reckon after Christmas as well - even if you're not that close to your family, when everyone else is doing the "family thing" here and you're not, and even more so if you're in an unfurnished rental waiting for your furniture to arrive, it can seem very bleak... If you're looking for a short term rental, I think 4 bedrooms will be very hard to find - so couple of the kids may have to share for a few weeks while you find something more long term. Long term rentals are hard (although not impossible) to secure before you've actually arrived, but once you're here, you should be able to find something in just a few weeks. The schools start the new school year at the end of January/start of Feb but many are open with admin staff before then if you wanted to look around. Even if you waited to look round till after they have restarted, it wouldn't be too hard for your kids to slot in within the first few weeks, and they wouldn't have missed too much. If I were you, I'd choose a high school for your oldest first, then look at primaries within the same areas. For high schools, check out Modbury High, Golden Grove, Banksia Park, and Charles Campbell - all have excellent reps and are in nice areas.

Guest Bonnydoon7

Hi,

If you want to avoid the cold and snow, and don't have family to miss on Christmas Day, I'd say come before Christmas. Schools are shut from halfway through December to end of January so the kids will be home anyway, and while it's true that things shut down over the break, that's really only educational facilities and the building and manufacturing industries. Lots of places give people time off over the Christmas period to the beginning of January, which is a lovely, restful time anyway. Everything else (just about) keeps going as per usual. It would give you time to acclimatise and get your bearings before having to enrol for school, buy school uniforms and supplies, etc towards the end of January. The kids would also get to enjoy the hot weather, beaches, pools, waterslides, icecreams etc for longer.

You are looking for a 4 bedroom house I see, but we have an airconditioned 3 bedroom house that can sleep 6 coming available from mid December and we are close to the beach and the wonderful new SA Aquatic Centre, with Marion Shopping Centre just 10 minutes' walk with a cinema complex, library and entertainment venues. The train station is 5 minutes' walk from us and the train gets you to the CBD in 25 minutes. We live in a separate house on site so would be available to help you with transportation and getting set up for your new life. We can meet you at the airport when you arrive, and you would be welcome to share a meal with us on Christmas Day.

Message me if you would like more information.

Warm welcome

Guest the Tews
Hi,

If you want to avoid the cold and snow, and don't have family to miss on Christmas Day, I'd say come before Christmas. Schools are shut from halfway through December to end of January so the kids will be home anyway, and while it's true that things shut down over the break, that's really only educational facilities and the building and manufacturing industries. Lots of places give people time off over the Christmas period to the beginning of January, which is a lovely, restful time anyway. Everything else (just about) keeps going as per usual. It would give you time to acclimatise and get your bearings before having to enrol for school, buy school uniforms and supplies, etc towards the end of January. The kids would also get to enjoy the hot weather, beaches, pools, waterslides, icecreams etc for longer.

You are looking for a 4 bedroom house I see, but we have an airconditioned 3 bedroom house that can sleep 6 coming available from mid December and we are close to the beach and the wonderful new SA Aquatic Centre, with Marion Shopping Centre just 10 minutes' walk with a cinema complex, library and entertainment venues. The train station is 5 minutes' walk from us and the train gets you to the CBD in 25 minutes. We live in a separate house on site so would be available to help you with transportation and getting set up for your new life. We can meet you at the airport when you arrive, and you would be welcome to share a meal with us on Christmas Day.

Message me if you would like more information.

Warm welcome

Thanks very much for your reply - so lovely and kind, thanks also for the offer sounds great but we need to be in the northern/eastern suburbs eg oakden/golden grove areas as that is the areas that our employer wants us to be in. Thats a very good idea about acclimatising and getting used to the area without having to rush around too much, did'nt think of that.

I would go before xmas, especially for the kids as you can spend time with them over the warm xmas holidays and help the kids settle far better. There's no way i'd stay in dingy, cold, boring winter England for a sunny beach and holiday times to celebrate xmas. why waste time when you know you will be fine at xmas in OZ.