G-day everyone wanting the life down under!

Guest Jay&Tam

Guest Jay&Tam

Hi everyone just registered, been on the 'poms in oz' sight and someone recommended this sight to me. My fiance and myself have only just started really researching the prospect of moving to australia. The reason we know it will be adelaide is our path to get into australia is my fiance joining the south australian police force who recruit direct from the uk. I'm hoping to join the south australian met fire service when i get entitlement.

The more research we do, although we don't get over there until may for three weeks, the more we're convinced this is def. the right move!!!

Looking online i've been looking around the area of Brighton down to Marino can anyone recommend if that's a good area or not. Also when we get over there in may can anyone recommend a car rental firm??

Well sorry for all the questions already but my heads :arghh:.....and a bit:goofy:! Congrats to anyone who has already made the move and good luck to all those in the process!!!

Take care everyone and hope to see you in sunny oz sometime next year,

Tammey and Jay xx

welcome to the best site for info:biglaugh:

From our reccie last year all seems good down Brighton way, Im sure you would like it but you need to see it and decide then.

Car rental firms are pletyful. On our reccie we used Thrifty as we only needed for a couple of days. Lots to choose firm. Just Goggle hire firms and run through the list

Good luck with the plans

Guest Baldock Grays

Jay&Tam,

We have just come back from a 3 week reccie and loved it (skills assesment submitted). Hire car wise, we used a company called Red spot. They delivered to the airport and didn't try ripping us of after we had dropped it back. We had the car for 20 days and it cost (excluding additional insurance) around the $500 mark. This was for a Mitsubishi 380

With regard areas, we visited many (Brighton included) and had no bad experiences, it really depends on what you want so i would recommend visiting as many as you can when you go over and get a feel.

Good luck,

Andy, Teresa, Paige and Keiran

Hi Guys,

we spent a month looking around as part of our research.

Our Aussie frinds suggested we go viewing houses on open days. That was agreat idea.

You get to see loads on offer. We did it area by area, and eventually did a 180 turn around on our original thoughts.:wacko:

Good luck.

State Sponsorship applied for 18/12/07

State sponsorship granted 19/12/07 (yes that quick as we delivered by hand);)

Now completing all the other forms.....

Houses on the market.

sorry for all the questions already but my heads :arghh:.....and a bit:goofy:!

Hey no appologies for questions thats why the forum is here. ;)

Welcome to PIA ask away there is always someone able to answer. Good luck on the move downunder.

Pete

Guest Jay&Tam

Thanks to everyone who replied to my posting, it was really nice to know people are out there at all stages of the process and still loving it!

Thanks to Ianb and Baldock Grays we will have a look online at ‘Thrifty’ and ‘Red spot’. Dan and Steph looks like we will be in Adelaide at the same time maybe we can arrange to meet up near the end of may to compare notes? Just from looking at maps and researching the area Marino is the area we are most interested in. We are staying in the centre with Adelaide Apartments.

Thanks Jen & Ian and Rachel for feedback on the area and thanks Rachel for heads up on how expensive the area is, we’ve looked at prices and hopefully with the equity from the house and my own wage on top of the SAPOL wage we should me living as comfortable there as we do here.

Mozzy, Nick11,louiesmum, Django thanks for the welcome message and KandC good advice on the viewings we will give it a try!!!

Tinadan let us know how your application goes we too are waiting for the recruitment doors to re-open, looking at past recruitment if all goes well through the application stages intake courses should be around Sept 09 and March 10.

Thanks again for all who replied if anyone can get back to me on removal companies that would be great, we’ve been quoted by Kellys and Crown for a shared container and it came in around £2300 - £2800, is that what we will be looking at paying no matter who we go with???

Can’t wait to get there!!!

Tammey and Jay xx

Guest Libby1971

Hi

Welcome to PIA!

Regarding your container - I would get a couple more quotes at least. We had 5 to be on the safe side. Three came in very close together although it ultimately came down to between 2.

I would also look into how much stuff you are bringing. If you are having a shared container, and it is costing £2800, I personally would fill a container myself - most full containers seem to cost £3500 or there abouts, maybe a bit less.

Libby

Guest Jay&Tam

Thanks Libby, considering a full container for the bit extra as it will get there in half the time but i have another company coming out on thurs so i'll see what they have to say.

Thanks again

Tammey and Jay

Guest nicolette

Hi Jay and Tammy, Shaun and Nicolette here, we have just received our visas in December 07 after a long wait! We are actually going over to Adelaide in May also, end of May to look at areas etc in the view to live although never visited Adelaide so hoping we will love it!! Have you ever visited Oz? We went last September and spent three weeks travelling around Oz and loved it but never got to Adelaide! Bringing our two kids along this time and visiting friends to see what they think, would be good to hear from you, Regards Nicolette and Shaun {new members also**