Moving to Adelaide Feb 2012

Guest silverload

Guest silverload

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but have followed this and Poms in Oz for the last three years (that's how long it has taken us to gain our visa). We are still undecided as to the area we should try to settle in. We have done some research but still can't make up our minds! Any advice on areas would be greatly appreciated. We are a family of three; my husband (56), daughter (12) and myself (37). I have never been to Australia before, so although I am excited I am also very nervous, and for the first time will be moving whilst not having a job to go to (I'm a Primary Teacher, so will need to look for work once we are out there). We are also looking to meet up with people and get our new life 'down under' off to a positive start.

Any advice would be very welcome.

:jiggy:

Guest guest7008

Hello - we too are moving over in February 2012 - when are you guys flying? We are staying in a holiday rental in Moana and then be doing lots of driving around to see where to settle! We have never been to oz before so all be very exciting and somewhat scary at the same time!! We are not sure on areas yet will kind of decide when there, we can look for schools and jobs and then do reccies on the suburbs!! All exciting and fun!! (Hopefully !!)

Guest teresa lynch

Hi

We're moving ourselves either in December or Jan 2012 depending on when our house sale exchanges. Really wanted to be out there before Christmas but it's looking unlikely now. We to have never been to australia so I feel where you are commin from with the nerves! We both have to look for a job I'm a P.A. and my husband is a Mechanic. He has had a talk with the owner of a garage in Aldinga about a job which is looking quite promising. So fingers crossed when he meets the boss for a formal chat when we arrive things go well. I know this has helped me no end knowing what sort of wages he'll earn and that it'd take the pressure off of us financially so we don't have to spend our house deposit!

Area wise we've checked our most of them using google earth and street view on realestate.com.au. This aslo gives you a guide to what the area is best for. We have decided on Aldinga I think to start with at least but also loved Moana, Nourlunga, Seaford, Christies Beach etc. It really depends on what it is that you're looking for. All these places are about 30 - 40 minutes away from Adelaide centre (which I may have to commute to).

What sort of visa do you guys have? Have you sold your house and booked shipping?

We are from Herne Bay in kent, Where are you all from?

Take care

Teresa

Guest guest7008

Hi, we are from Hampshire - have booked shippers for 12th December as we move out on 14th December, staying with family till february then fly. Husband is a Engineer, looks as though most of his work be in the North so we will be looking at Glenelg upwards to Largs Bay etc and over to Golden Grove- but again until we are actually there we will just see what its like!! We have a 176 PR visa - due to exchange on 1st December on house and complete 14th December - am just about to book a holiday rental as there is soooo many of us need a large nice 4 bed home and there is not that many around!

Hi Helen,

You beat us by one. :biglaugh: There are 7 of us. There are quite a lot of 4 beds around. Where the luck comes in is finding a decent one in the area you want coming available at the right time. We really want to be back to the Woodcroft area as that is where all the kids sports, schools, kindys, childcare, etc are. We have since we moved down here to Seaford, seen loads come and go in that area but signed a years lease as there were none available when we needed to move.

Good luck with the move. Don't envy you with the flights with 6 kids. We only had 4 when we made the journey and that was more than enough. :biglaugh:

Pete

Guest silverload
Hello - we too are moving over in February 2012 - when are you guys flying? We are staying in a holiday rental in Moana and then be doing lots of driving around to see where to settle! We have never been to oz before so all be very exciting and somewhat scary at the same time!! We are not sure on areas yet will kind of decide when there, we can look for schools and jobs and then do reccies on the suburbs!! All exciting and fun!! (Hopefully !!)

We are due to fly roughly round the 11th February, but that all depends on when completion of our house sale takes place. Until this comes through we are a little bit stuck to booking rentals etc. Again I think we will decide on areas once we are out there too.

Guest silverload

Hope all goes well with the sale. We have a 176 PR Visa, but won't be able to look for work until we are out there. I was also pondering about what to take house content wise. Some say to start from scratch, others say take everything you can. Any ideas ??