Just starting out....

Guest Rick N Vik

Guest Rick N Vik

My wife and I have finally made the decision to begin the process with a hope of making the move to Adelaide. Vikki my wife is a GP Partner and we will be going based on her occupation, me (Richard) am a stay at home husband lol, we breed and show dogs as a small interest/business and are planing on doing this in Oz and hope to relocate with 4 or 5 of our show dogs and rehome all the others.

Now we have finally decided it is like "Where do we start?" I have heard there is an Expo in Edinburgh in February so will get tickets for that but any other advice would be much appreciated.

Also wanting to take my Harley so any advice on bike shipping would be great.

Cheers :arghh:

Guest RobJ1978

Hello and welcome!

Congratulations on making the big decision! I'm (Nic) a neonatal nurse, My Husband (Rob) is a Journalist :eek:, we have two children Grace (7) and Ava (3) and a king charles called Trixie. Our starting point was a free call to an agent who outlined which visa we would go on and discussed skills assessments etc....now we are at the end and just waiting for our medicals and police checks. Although i still have the biggest challenge in getting my nurse registration.

Can't help with your bike issue...sorry.

Nic.x.

My wife and I have finally made the decision to begin the process with a hope of making the move to Adelaide. Vikki my wife is a GP Partner and we will be going based on her occupation, me (Richard) am a stay at home husband lol, we breed and show dogs as a small interest/business and are planing on doing this in Oz and hope to relocate with 4 or 5 of our show dogs and rehome all the others.

Now we have finally decided it is like "Where do we start?" I have heard there is an Expo in Edinburgh in February so will get tickets for that but any other advice would be much appreciated.

Also wanting to take my Harley so any advice on bike shipping would be great.

Cheers :arghh:

Firstly, welcome to the site it is a great area for finding out information and everyone is really helpful.

Anyway, with regard to taking your dogs there is this http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/shipping-pets-ask-pet-air/ and for taking your bike there is this link http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/

I hope these links are useful and are from our parent site.

We are taking our dog (wired hair fox terrier) and that is going to cost around £4,500. I thought about taking my bike but after talking to the guy on Poms In Oz forum (see link above) i decided not to as once you have added up all the import/export taxes and the issue of import vehicles attracting a higher insurance and therefore not as attractive to other buyers in OZ - including dealers - i decided against it.

Anyway, good luck with everything.

Mis.

Hello and welcome.

Not sure about an expo but guess they can be a good starting point. Depending on what visa your wife will be applying for it can make all the difference in the plans.

If you've been to Adelaide before then chances are you'll have an idea of the city and its suburbs and where you might like to live. If not, then I'd always suggest doing lots of research into the overall area you hope to live and work.

I'm the one doing all the research but then its only me who needs a visa in our house. Although we'll all be moving, its going home for my husband. But still, although it'll be straightforward, we've the logistics to research and also for hubby its employment once back there and so on.

If you own your own home I guess things like do you plan to sell to move or rent out? Long term rental once there or buy once settled.

Also start exploring the shipping of your dogs. There have been changes in the regulations/laws recently in Australia and its not now so straight forward as it had been. There is a good thread about this over on our sister site, Poms in Oz

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/pets/126993-urgent-update-shipping-pets.html

Also be aware that some local councils (or whatever the term in Aus is) in Aus have bylaws on how many dogs you can keep at one property and so on. It is sometimes the property, sometimes per person. Its not always the case and can vary. To keep more than two (as a breeder and planning on having 4 or 5) for example might require a permit to be applied for. And investigate the areas for exercising your dogs (looks like Boxers to me from your avatar), high energy and needing lots of room I guess, so you'll want to have access to beaches and places where they can free run. Or course, nothing to stop you driving in the car somewhere with them, but nice to be able to walk to the beach or somewhere also from home if you can.

Good luck and hope to see you around here some more :)

I looked at replacing the bike when I got there but the same model same year works out about 24,500 AUD and it is a long term investment lol.

All vehicles are more expensive over there it shocked us when we started looking into it. You need to speak to the guy on POMS in Oz and he will give you an idea of the cost - make sure you are sat down!!! lol