The Three Kings arriving in Hallett Cove soon...

Kingpin

Hi all

We finally arrived in Adelaide nearly 3 weeks ago on PR visas after just under a year of planning. It feels like our feet are only just beginning to touch the ground now. We are loving everything so far especially the beach and the surf clubs!

We have enrolled two of the boys in Hallet Cove East Primary and think they will be in Reception and Year 3 after the summer break. The youngest will hopefully go to Karara Kindy next year.

Does anyone in else in Hallett Cove have kids of similar ages? Or little ones that go to Hallett Cove East or the Kindy that could offer any advice or words of wisdom. We know no one and it dawned on me the other day that apart from my husband and the odd person at the supermarket checkout I havent spoken to another adult in all the time we have been here! My 8 year old in particular would love a friend or two to play with over the long summer break.

Would be great to hear from a couple of you.

Hi,

we hope to be moving out to Adelaide early 2012. Hallett Cove is one area we are considering. How are you finding it Hallet Cove? Our eldest son Tom will also be due to start reception (I think...he will be 5 on 5 May). Our youngest Charlie will be 2 in June at also attending kindy where ever we end up. What is the Hallett Cove East primary like, and did you compare it with the others?

Good luck, I hope you find a social circle soon enough (kids starting school is bound to help) and if we end up down there we can introduce ourselves. have you got jobs yet etc?

Hi Clare

Well, from what we have seen and heard in a very short space of time Hallett Cove is lovely! Our jobs will both be in the CBD so we spent the first week driving around as many areas within a 30 min radius of there. We started as far North as Mawson Lakes and headed south.

We have looked at a fair few schools most of which have been great. Lots of good looking areas. Some lovely neighbourhoods. We loved Glenelg but too pricey if we wanted to buy there in a couple of years time. I loved Happy Valley and O'Halloran's Hill but also wanted to be on the coast. For us its more a question of what we can afford so if we want a house with 3 + beds, a bit of a garden, to be coastal and within 30 mins or so of work Hallett Cove fits the bill.

We looked at 2 out of the three schools in Hallett Cove and Hallett Cove East stood out. I cant tell you exactly why - just a vibe and a feeling. There was one other school not in Hallet Cove we loved but the drive there and back everyday would grate on me eventually and the children wouldnt be close to their friends.

It would be great to meet up once you arrive. :smile:

Hiya,

My boys (8 and 5) go to the East school and get on well. My youngest goes to the Karrara Kindy and I am the chairperson there this year so I can personally vouch for it being amazing! lol

In all seriousness, I love it here in Hallett Cove. We moved to Oz nearly 3 yrs ago and have been living here in H/C for 2 of those. We have settled extremely well and have never looked back.

My kids would love a play date I'm sure - they'll be climbing the walls in the holidays! PM me if you fancy getting together,

Jo xxx

Thanks Jo - will be in touch soon to organise a play date and a coffee or two! I am also hoping to organise a Vacswim course for the older two boys also to keep them busy. Is there one that the Hallet Cove East kids would normally attend?

Do you know also by the way if the school uniform can be purchased any where else other than the shop at school?

Thanks

Sarah

You can only buy uniform at the school shop - they do have some second hand bits too, but availability varies!

Do you mean Vacswim at the beach? Mine don't do that yet.... we tried Surf Life Saving (Nippers) with my eldest last year but the others were too small and we thought it'd be easier if we waited until they were all big enough. Other than that, we are booked into Noarlunga Leisure Centre's Intensive Swim programme for January - one week of lessons for $55 each. I know there are other things on though, but I don't know anything about them - sorry!

I'll try & meet up with you & Jo.. I live in Hallett cove & have an 8year old son, & 2 girls aged 7 & 2 who I'm sure will be driving me mad in the hols..

I work mon, tues & fri, but any other day inc weekends im usually free.

When you arrange a time, Jo can you text me & let me know ??

Thanks.

Sarah x

Hi Sarah

Not exactly sure which days I will be working yet but aiming for the start of the week to leave Thurs and Friday free. Would be great to meet up with you and your brood too.

Thanks for the info Jo. I'd best get down to the school shop before the end of term then! Yes I did mean the Vacswim at the beach. My oldest is very keen on swimming and loves to be kept busy so think it will suit him.

Do either of you know is there a Scout/Cubs group in HC? Does it stop over the holidays?

Sarah

There are scouts at the hall on Quailo Avenue, some kids from school go there but no idea when or if it's on in the hols. Just down the road from the school, so maybe you could pop by and see if they have any info up? I've just met another new family, whose kids, similar ages, have also started at the East school. Maybe we should all get together.... good to have a natter and great for the kids to meet others too xxxx

Hi Sarah

Not exactly sure which days I will be working yet but aiming for the start of the week to leave Thurs and Friday free. Would be great to meet up with you and your brood too.

Thanks for the info Jo. I'd best get down to the school shop before the end of term then! Yes I did mean the Vacswim at the beach. My oldest is very keen on swimming and loves to be kept busy so think it will suit him.

Do either of you know is there a Scout/Cubs group in HC? Does it stop over the holidays?

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

My son goes to cubs in Quailo Avenue on a Tuesday night & my daughter goes to joeys on Wednesdays. The website says tues & thurs for cubs, but its not running on a Thursday at the moment.

Next week is the last week & it starts up again when the schools go back. I think you can try it for a couple of weeks before you sign up. http://www.hallettcove.sa.scouts.com.au/

Sarah

Hi

We arrived 3 weeks ago too on a PR. We are staying in Moana at the moment but have just secured a rental in Hallett Cove from the middle of December. Our kids go to Hallet Cove East and have been there 8 days!!

We have a boy who will go into year 5 and twin girls who will be in reception.

Be great to meet up. We met jo Marnes at school and she is so helpful, full of info to get you started!

Maybe if there is quite a few of us we could meet at a park over the summer hols, there are plenty of them!!

Hello Jacksons!

Hope your settling in OK. Gosh it seems as if a few of us have arrived at around the same time. How are your children finding the school so far? We hadnt planned on finding a great school so quickly and had thought a long holiday would do the children and us good. The last few weeks in the UK were so busy and full on. So they will start after the summer holidays but Alexander will go in for a "Transistion" day next week I think so might see you then.

Hope we can all get together over the Summer holidays. The park sounds fab.

Hi Kings

The school is really good and kids enjoying it so far, It's not quite as strict as our old school in the UK which our eldest finds strange, but he will soon adjust.

We too didn't really expect to find a school so quickly but when we did they said we could start the next day!!

They learn japanese from reception and after only 2 lessons they are already picking up words. It's amazing.

I know what you mean about the last few weeks in the Uk. It just went completely mad what with trying to catch up with everyone before we left and leaving jobs, schools, cubs, etc

We will look forward to the long christmas break

Might see you at school next week

Suzanne, Paul, Jamie 10, Katie & Isabelle 5