Decisions Decisions

Guest ChrissieA

Guest ChrissieA

hiii there :cute:

depending on my partners job (got contracts with australia) we could possibly be moving to adelaide im 22 & my partner is 29 i have two horses (one which i would leave back in the UK) and a german shepherd (1 and a half years old) wondering if anyone here has moved with animals, know of dog training places, horse yards/competitions, i also want to do an apprentiship in veterinary nursing, anyone have any experience, would love to hear about any experiences, thanks for looking!!! :)

Chrissie

hiii there :cute:

depending on my partners job (got contracts with australia) we could possibly be moving to adelaide im 22 & my partner is 29 i have two horses (one which i would leave back in the UK) and a german shepherd (1 and a half years old) wondering if anyone here has moved with animals, know of dog training places, horse yards/competitions, i also want to do an apprentiship in veterinary nursing, anyone have any experience, would love to hear about any experiences, thanks for looking!!! :)

Chrissie

hi i haven't experience in SA as yet we move in 2012 and i will be taking my dog with me, i start her vaccinations in January they need the rabies vaccination now, i work and teach within the animal industry and i teach animal care to level 2 and 3 learners, i work with a vet nurse too. are you wanting to do apprenticeship in OZ in vet nurse or the UK??? they have courses in Adelaide i have looked for myself to teach and i contacted them also, you need to look at the TAFE website in SA and type in vet nurse course or animal care, my friends daughter went to Urbrae college as it is an animal college, also have horses. the Urbrae college will put you in the right direction check their website.

good luck jennet

Guest ChrissieA

Hiya

im wanting to become a veterinary nurse in OZ, im qualified enough to do the course at college either that or work in a animal rescue unit my qualifications are mostly with horses but i dont want to work at a yard and teach or anything (havent got the back for it anymore!! haha) il have a look at the information you have given me, if you dont mind me asking how much have you been quoted to move your dog?? you live near me!! im in barnsley

Thanks

Chrissie :)

Guest ben farrier

Hi Chrissie

We have lived in the Adelaide for six weeks. I am a farrier and am already very busy with work. There are horses everywhere and lots of livbery yards ( called adjistment here ) We are up in the Adelaide hills near Hahndhorf therewould be plenty of equestrianism for you.

Cheers Ben

if you dont mind me asking how much have you been quoted to move your dog?

For a GSD I'd expect over the £2000 plus mark for shipping. Probably a fair bit more than that. Our whippet quote was in the region of £2500 for two. That's not including vets fees, jabs and quarantine fees. Its not dependant on weight but the crate size and there are set rules as to how much room a dog needs, ie to be able to turn round, stand up and so on during transit. Wooden crates are bulky so be prepared for a fair chunk cost wise. I'd get some quotes from some reputable pet shippers.

Also there are new rabies regs come in with Aus so you'll have to ensure you comply with all of that now. A good thread on it can be found here http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/pets/126993-urgent-update-shipping-pets.html

If you are bringing a horse that'll be a whole other ball game and cost. I have a friend who brought her horse from the USA (LA) to NZ a few years ago and it cost her a small mortgage to ship him over. There was no way she was leaving him behind as she had had him his entire life, but the cost was huge. I don't know exact costs these days but I'd expect that to be around £10,000 or so, quite possibly a few thousand more and thats not including vets fees etc. Also there are only a small number of horse shippers and limited options to get them there. And its not an easy process so make sure you really do your homework and go with a decent company. I think when flying horses they have someone attending them the entire flight and they can only be flown into and out of certain airports. For example you may only be able to fly them into Sydney so there would be factoring then transporting a horse from Sydney to Adelaide.

Don't take this the wrong way but have you considered putting your horse out on long term loan with a view to perhaps bringing him/her out later once you know you are staying or if you even like it? Its a huge amount of money to find to take the horse out there and possibly not settling and wanting to return or to move elsewhere. Give it careful thought. My friend took her horse and he is still going at almost 30 now but it wasn't easy for her and financially was crippling. Also she knew she would be staying in NZ long term, had spent a lot of time there as she had married and bought a house there etc and for her there was absolutely no going back, at least not while her horse is still living. I'm no expert in the horse shipping process, only know of it because of my friend and what little I know, I've shared here.

Also consider the age of your horse, the climate s/he will have to adjust to, the type of grazing and so on. Its very different from the UK that is for sure. Hotter and drier and not the type of grass and grazing we are used to in the UK. Also the flies/bugs etc. All things to consider.

Good luck with it all :)

Guest ChrissieA

Thanks for the information, I have two horses one is one I've had since I was young he wouldn't be coming he would be signed over to my mum however the one who I would take is rising 3 very calm, would come accrues for at least 6 months before making the decision to take him, the costs you mentioned seem about right to what I've been told by others, not a cheap thing to do!! Eek lot to bear in mind

Thanks for your info

Chrissie

Hiya

im wanting to become a veterinary nurse in OZ, im qualified enough to do the course at college either that or work in a animal rescue unit my qualifications are mostly with horses but i dont want to work at a yard and teach or anything (havent got the back for it anymore!! haha) il have a look at the information you have given me, if you dont mind me asking how much have you been quoted to move your dog?? you live near me!! im in barnsley

Thanks

Chrissie :)

she's a cockerspaniel and i have been quoted approx £1800