Considering the big move down under with children.

Haiste

Hi All,

I have been offered a promotion and a new life in Adelaide by my current employer in the UK. The offer includes a relocation package that will fly my family and I to SA, a container and also all of the required paperwork.

So what are you waiting for I can hear you all shout at your pc screens.

The conundrum that I am trying to solve in my (rather confused and scrambled) head is how my 3 children will take the move and how easily will they settle and adjust to a new life in Adelaide. My children are 14, 11 and 9. I am sure that we can find good schools for them to attend but will they integrate to the new surroundings? will they be welcomed and accepted. This is my only concern, if I can square this we will be jumping at the opportunity. I do not want to see my kids lonely and isolated. My oldest love his rugby league, is junior RL played in SA?

From research on the web, we quite like the look of the Glenelg, Brighton and down to Hallett cove. What are the schools like around this area.

Any help / reassurance much, much appreciated. I would like to hear experiences of anybody who has already made the move down under or anybody else who is considering the move.

Thank you and I look forward to your comments.

Cheers

Steve

If you look at it as a life experience move for them , which may not be permanent I think it would be a great experience. You will already be ahead because of your job and the assistance with relocating. Many people with families move for a time to other countries because of their work. There is a choice of good schools in those areas you mentioned. There are a number of good private schools as well which are more affordable than UK private schools. Immanuel College has a good sporting reputation. It is hard to say whether your kids will seamlessly transition, some settle quickly, others take a bit more time. The older they are the harder it can be, but if they join in things it usually makes it easier to make friends. There are rugby clubs here, it isn't a big sport in SA, It's bigger on the East Coast but there are various clubs.

As for your kids being accepted, Adelaide is generally a multicultural place and people are used to people arriving from elsewhere, or having an ethnic background in their family. Of course your kids might get a few idiots saying things, but you could get that in the Uk moving from one place to another.

Hi Steve!

Wow, what an exciting prospect for you!

My 2 are 16 and 13 and have settled in really well (we have been here nearly 5 months).

I agree with the post above - look at it as a live changing move and not a permanent one then if you make it permanent, so be it! I think if someone else is paying (and believe me, it costs a fortune) then go for it - you'll kick yourself in a few years time if you let the opportunity slip by!

Its not easy but its great!

Good luck :wink:

Guest Sachertorte

Hi Steve,

I would say if you can bear leaving your house in a rented state whilst you sample Oz, go for it. In this economic climate I would honestly say that unless you have a job to go to that offers a relocation package (like in your case), coming to Australia with a family in tow is extremely dangerous financially- it can leave you several tens of thousands pounds poorer and the stress has broken many a family (I have seen friends go through such sad predicament)

In your case you have all the right boxes ticked and it seems like a "why not!" situation- the good suburbs of Adelaide are indeed very welcoming to the British and you should have no concerns about fitting in.

Good luck with your decision :smile:

Hi All,

I have been offered a promotion and a new life in Adelaide by my current employer in the UK. The offer includes a relocation package that will fly my family and I to SA, a container and also all of the required paperwork.

So what are you waiting for I can hear you all shout at your pc screens.

The conundrum that I am trying to solve in my (rather confused and scrambled) head is how my 3 children will take the move and how easily will they settle and adjust to a new life in Adelaide. My children are 14, 11 and 9. I am sure that we can find good schools for them to attend but will they integrate to the new surroundings? will they be welcomed and accepted. This is my only concern, if I can square this we will be jumping at the opportunity. I do not want to see my kids lonely and isolated. My oldest love his rugby league, is junior RL played in SA?

From research on the web, we quite like the look of the Glenelg, Brighton and down to Hallett cove. What are the schools like around this area.

Any help / reassurance much, much appreciated. I would like to hear experiences of anybody who has already made the move down under or anybody else who is considering the move.

Thank you and I look forward to your comments.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve

the places you have mentioned seem to be popular with the Brits, i know someone who lived in Hallet Cove and loved it but moved to Brighton so she can get her son into the Brighton Secondary school, it's ranked the 3rd best school in SA apparently, my daughters friend also goes to Brighton Secondary school and he loves it, he's always telling her to go to that school. We have looked at the school and i have also contacted them they replied rather promptly compared to the other schools We are also looking at hallet Cove and Brighton area to live, we will be staying with some other friends in Seaford to start with. it sounds a good opportunity to me i wouldn't miss it if it came my way. Everyone has doubts and wonders if it a good thing to do, but i believe its a big world out there and if i can give my kids an opportunity in life to learn something different then i would, they move on eventually and decide whats the best thing for them and there future.

Guest nickcoumbe

We have been here for a couple of months now, and in many ways I would say it is a complete no-brainer.

Our son has settled into school and seems to have been accepted fine without any major problems. In fact he is much happier than at school in the UK.

If your costs are covered then that is a major plus point. We had some of our costs reimbursed but re-furnishing a house is expensive and that has put us on the back foot.

I would also think carefully about the salary you will be getting. Many things in Australia are more expensive than in the UK, even once you have converted dollars to pounds. Even a decent pay rise may not make up for this and you might find yourself with less disposable income.

Having said that, so far we have found the quality of life here is so much nicer than the UK. As everyone else has suggested, even if we don't settle permanently this has been a great experience.