Should we move to Adelaide from Perth?

Guest wickett5

Guest wickett5

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help? Need some advice.

We are a family of 5 (myself age 34, husband age 33, and 3 kids 12yrs, 4yrs & 2yrs). We moved from Bristol in the UK to Perth in July 2011 on a 457 sponsorship. My manager has recently approached me to ask if I would like to head-up the Recruitment for the company in Adelaide. Having made the move from the UK, I am not too sure if we want to move again.

We are willing to go to Adelaide for a Recci early January. Can anyone give us any advice on the best surburbs to live in around Adelaide? I don't mind up to an hours journey into the CBD for work on train etc. We are a young family and ideally would like to stay near the coast. My daughther will start High school in Feb 2012, so need to be in a good catchment area for a state High School. My son eho is 12 would also be starting pre-primary in Feb 2012 so any ideas on good state schools is really appreciated.

We would ideally like to live somewhere where there is a mixture of Poms and Aussie's and has to be family friendly, not worried about loads of nightlife (as with 3 kids we don't get to go out much and enjoy being at home) also has to have a local soccer team for the other half to join.

It is quite scary, as we do feel settled in perth, and we live quite a simple life (enjoy going to the beach and parks with the kids). We will have a budget of around $500pw renting to spend and would require a 4x2.

Any help with info greatly appreciated.

Thank's in adavance

From Colette & Rik

Hi Coletter & Rik

Welcome to PIA.... Just thought Id start the ball rolling with regard to suburbs. We live in Moana - next to the coast, parks, beach, shops ...its about 45 mins from CBD. My husband plays soccer at the local recreation centre in nearby Seaford. Its a very family friendly place and since we arrived almost 5 years ago - totally love it and feel at home here.

Good luck with your research - Im sure you will get some more replies with other Suburb suggestions - that you can then look at yourself.

Sarahx

ps. I have lots of photos on our website of Moana and area

Welcome, We moved to the north east suburbs, Fairview Park(5126) / Banksia Park (5091) in 09, and have found it a really friendly area as a lot of poms start thier life down under around here, it takes my wife 20-30 mins to get to the CBD to her work, there are plenty of schools around this area, and its only 30 mins to the nearest beaches, we even have a british pub approx 5 mins down the road Fox n Firkin, theres plenty of wild life/ nature reserves, parks etc, 10 mins from the Adelaide hills wine region ;) the properties are in the mature cat, but there are new builds poppping up around the area, the is a fairly big shopping center 5 mins away Tea Tree Plaza, which caters for your every need, any way have a look and good luck with your move :)

Guest wickett5

Thanks Sarah, I will have a look at your website. It is always good to have somewhere to start having a look.

Thanks Again

Colette

Hi Coletter & Rik

Welcome to PIA.... Just thought Id start the ball rolling with regard to suburbs. We live in Moana - next to the coast, parks, beach, shops ...its about 45 mins from CBD. My husband plays soccer at the local recreation centre in nearby Seaford. Its a very family friendly place and since we arrived almost 5 years ago - totally love it and feel at home here.

Good luck with your research - Im sure you will get some more replies with other Suburb suggestions - that you can then look at yourself.

Sarahx

ps. I have lots of photos on our website of Moana and area

Guest wickett5

Sounds great, especially the British pub, Rik has been lost with us not having the full foxtel package and the timing of all the matches in the UK. 20 - 30mins is not bad at all to the CBD, I will have a look. Everyone has said the wine region in Adelaide is the best in Australia, so looking forward to checking it out!!

Not too fussed about new builds. One of the things we miss about the UK is our open fire on those chilly days.

Thanks Again for the info :smile:

Welcome, We moved to the north east suburbs, Fairview Park(5126) / Banksia Park (5091) in 09, and have found it a really friendly area as a lot of poms start thier life down under around here, it takes my wife 20-30 mins to get to the CBD to her work, there are plenty of schools around this area, and its only 30 mins to the nearest beaches, we even have a british pub approx 5 mins down the road Fox n Firkin, theres plenty of wild life/ nature reserves, parks etc, 10 mins from the Adelaide hills wine region ;) the properties are in the mature cat, but there are new builds poppping up around the area, the is a fairly big shopping center 5 mins away Tea Tree Plaza, which caters for your every need, any way have a look and good luck with your move :)

Not sure what the driving is like in Perth, but keep your options open about that daily commute - an hour's commute each way here in Adelaide is likely to drive you mad before long! It's the traffic light, changing speed limit, very high speeding fines, capital of Australia!! There is another thread running on the site about commuting distances into the CBD so have a look at that to get some ideas, and unless you end up way out in the sticks, a beach is always within about 30-35 mins drive. The shorter commute, the longer the time you have to spend together as a family, which I think is a very positive thing about Adelaide: you have affordable properties in lovely suburbs, that are still within a 30 minute drive into the city. It used to be known as the 20 minute city - work, beaches and wine regions all within 20 mins drive, wherever you live, but it's now more like the 30 minute city I think :-)

Guest cafehag

I've lived in Adelaide for three and a half years and visited Perth on a few occasions during that time. You will find that everything in Adelaide, from a cup of coffee, to a beer, to a rental property is much cheaper than in Perth. $500/week will get you into a family home in almost any suburb (definitely not the case in Perth!). You can even park in the CBD in Adelaide for $12.50 a day - try doing that in Perth.

Beyond that, the weather is more seasonal here with longer winters. Also, it will be obvious when you visit that the mining boom hasn't yet arrived here in the way it has in Perth. The shiny new skyscrapers, new roads, and train lines largely don't exist yet.

That said, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

p.s. We have got a much better airport!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stufi1997

Funny, I just had an invite back from Poms in adelaide where we used to be avid subscribers to....We have been on the road for a year now and after living and working in S.A for 2 years are now in Kununurra WA. I agree with whoever posted first and if we were to go back to SA we would live in Moana, it's close to shops the city and good friends. It's in a good catchment for schools and fantastic beach lifestyle. SA is a bit more anal (excuse me all you diehards) but that can be good and bad....WA stands for wait awhile for sure and SA is wannabe, WA is defo more laid back, but that can be an issue in business....very lax sometimes and education is better in SA I reckon!! How's that for a statement!!!Can't tell I'm in WA can you? lol You did the BIG move...the little journey is just that...you came for the experience, take it all!!

Best of Luck Fiona xx

Guest Jo&Phil

I agree with the comments regarding commuting ... Perth has wall to wall motorways and Adelaide has none! We live about 17kms south of the city which takes me 40 mins in peak hour traffic and 20 in the middle of the day. There are quite good train connections from all areas though you may need to drive to the station ... nothing new there I guess. We have family in Perth and find it quite spread out whereas Adelaide is more compact (to my mind anyway).

Beaches tend to be south and west ... Brighton, Glenelg, Somerton Park, Grange, Henley all good beach side suburbs but these attract a good price. Anything surrounding these will have equally good access to beach / city but may be a little less expensive for rentals. Have you checked out www.realestate.com.au for a price guide?

Guest wickett5

Thanks Fiona. We love Perth, but perhaps it is because we are living in the Northern Suburbs of Quinns Rocks, which makes you feel you are a bit more part of a community. We enjoy the laid back quiet lifestyle of spending our free time on the beach or at the parks with the kids. We are going on a recci in just over a week, and are going to check out Glenelg, Hallett Cove and surrounding areas first.

We are now seansoned movers, so not too worried about moving again, the only thing which has made it harder is that we have started to make some really good friends, but have decided job security and a good education for the kids is more important. We will see how we get on on our visit.

Thanks for your advice it is really helpful:smile:

Colette, Rik & Kids

Funny, I just had an invite back from Poms in adelaide where we used to be avid subscribers to....We have been on the road for a year now and after living and working in S.A for 2 years are now in Kununurra WA. I agree with whoever posted first and if we were to go back to SA we would live in Moana, it's close to shops the city and good friends. It's in a good catchment for schools and fantastic beach lifestyle. SA is a bit more anal (excuse me all you diehards) but that can be good and bad....WA stands for wait awhile for sure and SA is wannabe, WA is defo more laid back, but that can be an issue in business....very lax sometimes and education is better in SA I reckon!! How's that for a statement!!!Can't tell I'm in WA can you? lol You did the BIG move...the little journey is just that...you came for the experience, take it all!!

Best of Luck Fiona xx

• 1 month later...
Guest Pepparoni

We moved to Adelaide 2 years ago. We live in the Eastern suburbs which is lovely with excellent schools. The children are really happy. But we have found it hard to make friends, everyone is very friendly but to become social friend seems difficult. Most people that live in the eastern suburbs come from here and have friends and family from there schooling. We also found that career opportunities in Adelaide are few, so we are thinking of moving to Perth - for the mining boom. But I have to say it is a difficult choose.

Hi there we live in the n/e suburbs, and have a few friends around, but i must agree with you about the social friendship locally, we have really friendly neighbours but we only ever speak when we are either going out or coming in (if that makes sense) we have been here since Dec 09, it took me 3 months to fine employment as a plumber! im paul 48 my wifes julie 43 we have our son pj 23 and our daughter gemma 21 with us,but we are having a lot of trouble getting them resident visas as they came over on working holiday isas due to both of them loosing thier jobs before me n julie emigrated, anyway just to let you know that there are a lot of poms not to far away from you, regards paul