Hello and questions question!!

Guest natsteandco

Guest natsteandco

Hello!

Just found this website and I'm so glad that I have!!

First introductions, I'm Natalie,29 and a Primary School teacher in North Wales. I've been married to Stephen, 31, an Electronics engineer, for 5 Years and we have 4 children - Daniel aged 10, Ella aged 5, Evie aged 2 and Finlay aged 16 months.

It has been my long term aim since I was a teenager to eventually move out to Oz, my husband is now coming round to the idea!

For the last 8/9 years my thoughts have been about Adelaide and now we are seriously considering taking the plunge and applying to go!!

Any advice would be greatly welcomed!!

My biggest question is regarding visiting Adelaide before moving out, I know this would be the sensible thing to do and ideally I would love to, but it's just so expensive for a family of 6. We did think about just myself and my husband visiting, but I would like my children to visit also, especially my 10 year old, who I'm sure will be unsure about such a big move.

Did a successful visa application rely on having made a visit?

Many thanks and Hello!!

Natalie, Stephen and kids

Guest graandjac

Hi Guys , good question :wacko:, we were going to go blind so to speak but in the end Jacqui felt a visit was needed so we went on our reccie in oct 07 , We also have kids but could not afford for all of us to go. Although we are a good tight family the kids being 8 & 9 at the time of our reccie, were (although it seems selfish) going to have to go with our feelings about Adelaide, I guess what i mean is that if it has been your dream to go to Australia then the kids might just have to go with your flow , and as they are so young will adapt easier at that age than most....cheers Graham & jacqui

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi,

Welcome to PIA, what I would say is that you and Stephen have both got to be 110% behind the move, if a visit to Adelaide will help Stephen come around to the move then it's got to be done one way or another.

Unfortunately problems will and do arise when one partner is set on coming and the other one is not so sure.

Please don't think I am being negative just trying to be realistic.

Good luck with all your plans

Guzzler

Guest ffi&dyl

Hi, we are also from North Wales.

Our visa were granted on the 1 Feb 2008. We have not yet visited Adelaide we are just going to take the plunge. We are putting the house on the market in the next couple of weeks and are hoping for a quick sale!! so we can get to Adelaide soon.

We have to validate our visas by 22 January 2009 so if the house has not sold by the end of the year we will be going over for a reccie

and validating visas at same time.

Good luck with your decision.

Ffion, Dylan Elain & Caleb:D

Hi,

We are also from North Wales but have been in Adelaide four weeks now and are loving it so far. We didn't come out before hand as it was too expensive and wanted to put all our money into the move. We have a 12 year old and a 9 year old and they have just started school this week and it's so far so good.

Good Luck with your decision.:)

Guest Globetrotter

Hi

I'm also from N.Wales - didn't realise there was so many of us making the move ! We've been here 4 months and didn't do a reccie either. I think if you can afford to it is a good idea as you then know what to expect. Saying that it is so exciting moving to a place you've never even been to - some people did think we were mad though. I think as long as you have an open mind and really want to try something different you'll be fine - we're loving the adventure.

Kerry

We haven't done a recon mainly down to money. Tracey had the idea to send me out on my own for a few weeks before Xmas but I felt that we both needed to come out. With young children it wouldn't be fair on them and with the lack of spare cash we didn't.

To begin with I was the main one pushing for the move but now as time goes on I now feel that Tracey is more certain its the right move for us than me and I'm 110% sure.;)

Good luck with everything

Pete

We didn't reccie either, we simply couldn't afford it. We've been here just over 6 months now and we've all settled in really well but it really is down to the individual. Some people wouldn't dream of moving without a reccie first but for others it's the excitement of the unknown. And for the rest of us it's a case of saving what cash we had until we got here for good!

hello,

we are (hopefully) in the endstage of getting our visa.

and we won't do a reccie either before moving for good sometimes this summer ...

mainly because of the money really but also we don't think a 2 week holiday could give us the ups and downs of moving there permanently. and either way having gone through the whole process we will stay at least 2 years!!! so no point really :v_SPIN:

ashley also suggested for me to go on my own and check it out (also i am 110% for it) - just so we could have some firsthand experience i guess. but it wouldn't be fair on him really to firstly leave him with the kids alone and secondly i want it to be a 'first' for all of us!!

good luck with your decision!

Hi Natalie

Yes this website is fab and i have found load of info. I am just at the preparing for the TRA stage but my suggestion for what is worth.

Apply as soon as you can as from what i can see about your jobs you will have no problem getting the top visa which means you can settle anywhere. From what ive seen the visa take between 6 months and 2 years and once you have it you have to set food in Australia within a year (from medical) and then can come back home sort things out and have another 5 years before you move.

I didnt make the move when my children were young and now i have to leave one of them behind as he has a family of his own (although he says he will join us when his OT finishes her teaching degree). Plus best to settle kids in while they are young and make friends easily.

Take the trip if you can manage it and maybe either go on your own or take the eldest and lots of film for the others.

Good luck and hope it all goes well.

Andi