Computer whizz needed!

Guest the Tews

Guest the Tews

Hi we are flying out on Thursday and our acer laptop has died, does anyone know of a good techie person to help when we get there?

It powers up but will not start windows and we have a black screen and the fan runs all the time. We have also stupidly and not thinking put our external hard drive in the container, has anyone managed to get anything back that has been unintentionally packed?!

Any help gratefully received

Andrea and Steve

I don't rate your chances of getting back the HD from the container at this point. Even if its on UK shores still, it could be stacked in the middle of a pile of other containers on a dockside somewhere. It might still be with the shippers, but again, are they really going to unload it to look for a HD? You could ask them but I'd expect the worst and if the best happens, then great.

With regard to the computer, I can't help. Not a Windows user. Nor Acer. I'm sure you can find someone once you arrive to take a look at it to see if its worth repairing. Depending on the cost quoted, it might just be easier to go get a new one in the sales??

Perhaps check out our business directory section http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/links/computer-sales-and-repairs-22/ or the Recommendations section.

Guest Barney Rubble

Not sure if it is any good but i had a 'dead' pc which sat under my desk for 2 years and i found someone who was able to retreive all the files and put them onto a portable hard drive (i supplied him with).

As far as getting it back from the packing company, more chances of hell freezin' over i'd suspect.

If you need the files recovering, PM me once you get here.

Cheers

BR

Take it into a PC world and get one of there tech guys to have a look at it. All the date on it might still be retrevable.

Chris.

The only thing with that is often you have to leave it with them for longer than a couple of days. Very rarely do they get to it straight away or even the same day.

Guest Jo&Phil

IT Warehouse on Marion Road (south of city) fixed my laptop in 24 hours ... after my dear OH had got his mits on it! I therefore think they are fabulous. Was quite cheap too ... $100

Hi we are flying out on Thursday and our acer laptop has died, does anyone know of a good techie person to help when we get there?

It powers up but will not start windows and we have a black screen and the fan runs all the time. We have also stupidly and not thinking put our external hard drive in the container, has anyone managed to get anything back that has been unintentionally packed?!

Any help gratefully received

Andrea and Steve

Hi folks,

the issue could be one of many things, from the simple to not worth fixing. If the hard drive (or SSD) is ok, you'll find someone to get the files off. As Snifter says, check out the Business section on here etc.

Hope you get it sorted.

Have a great journey and enjoy the sun.

Cooler

Guest 21TWillis

Hi Andrea and Steve sorry to hear about your Acer Laptop, I ran a Pc repair company and repaired many laptops back in the UK, Acer being one manufacturer, first thing I suggest removing yr battery and power it on using the mains power supply only, an old battery can sometimes cause problems! If that doesnt work send me a PM and I will happily have a look at it for you if it's suitable, I have brought my recovery disks but just as you my main PC equipment is still enroute by boat. I will possibly be looking at setting up a drop in Pc repair service if there's a demand.

Cheers Ian

Hi Andrea and Steve sorry to hear about your Acer Laptop, I ran a Pc repair company and repaired many laptops back in the UK, Acer being one manufacturer, first thing I suggest removing yr battery and power it on using the mains power supply only, an old battery can sometimes cause problems! If that doesnt work send me a PM and I will happily have a look at it for you if it's suitable, I have brought my recovery disks but just as you my main PC equipment is still enroute by boat. I will possibly be looking at setting up a drop in Pc repair service if there's a demand.

Cheers Ian

Hi. My son has his own computer business. He does a 'no fix, no fee' service and will beat any quote. Many members on this forum has used his services and have been completely satisfied. he is based at Aberfoyle Park. Thanks