First Xmas in Adelaide safely navigated

Guest drjack

Hi all,

I've been in Adelaide about 2 months now (originally from the North West.....dare I admit I'm from Bolton?) and my girlfriend joined me from Canada early in December. We're now on the other side of a very un-Christmassy xmas and I thought I write a post to introduce us. I'm 35 and have a job teaching at the Uni of Adelaide, my partner is a professional photographer, she's still looking for works if anyone has leads! We've moved to North Adelaide and are still adapting to things here but enjoying much of what Australia has to offer and our first sunny summer Christmas....although we both thought it was pretty weird.

Anyway we're on the look out for fun activities to do, we're pretty active (like running, cycling etc) but are probably happier enjoying a beer or a few glasses of wine in this weather. Would love to meet some of you and share our Adelaide experiences.

All the best for a fun NYE!

Jack and Laura

I bet working at the Uni is rewarding, you are probably near to some of the best things, the Botanic Gardens, though the hills one is great too. Rundle Street but maybe too many students in your case! and also walk along the river. beach wise I like towards Merino. hope you enjoy your time, North Adelaide is a good zone and try Norwood Parade and of course there will be lots happening at teh University I suspect

Hi all,

I've been in Adelaide about 2 months now (originally from the North West.....dare I admit I'm from Bolton?) and my girlfriend joined me from Canada early in December. We're now on the other side of a very un-Christmassy xmas and I thought I write a post to introduce us. I'm 35 and have a job teaching at the Uni of Adelaide, my partner is a professional photographer, she's still looking for works if anyone has leads! We've moved to North Adelaide and are still adapting to things here but enjoying much of what Australia has to offer and our first sunny summer Christmas....although we both thought it was pretty weird.

Anyway we're on the look out for fun activities to do, we're pretty active (like running, cycling etc) but are probably happier enjoying a beer or a few glasses of wine in this weather. Would love to meet some of you and share our Adelaide experiences.

All the best for a fun NYE!

Jack and Laura

hi

what do you teach, was it hard to get into teaching, was your qualifications checked???

Thanks for the reply James, yeah there's plenty of good stuff around the Uni. Not so many students at this time of year so it's still pretty quiet. Thanks for the tips of places to try out, we do like the parade for restaurants and shopping etc.

Hopefully we can get away with undercutting on prices on photography, it's finding the work that seems the most challenging right now though.

Jack

hi

what do you teach, was it hard to get into teaching, was your qualifications checked???

Hi Jennet,

I got a job as a professor (in the faculty of science) and my qualifications were checked out before I got the offer. I'm not sure what it's like in other areas of the Uni to be honest.

Cheers,

Jack

Not sure what type of photography Laura does but maybe jsut get on and set up and advertise and see what comes! Like I say I had some portrait photos done and they were very costly here, sure Laura could do well.

Not sure if you like film or anything, the French festival of film will start soon. You do have to seek things out a bit here. I quite envy you though with the students to spark off. My intellectual stimualtion comes from speaking French and Italian with the foreign students as lessons for me normally in Rundle Street somewhere

Hi Jennet,

I got a job as a professor (in the faculty of science) and my qualifications were checked out before I got the offer. I'm not sure what it's like in other areas of the Uni to be honest.

Cheers,

Jack

hi

thats fab well done hope it all works out and you have a fab time in OZ we will be out in july/august 2012 staying with friends in seaford to start with. I will need to get my qualifications checked i work as a college lecturer, i have contacted TAFE also. cheers happy new year