Going It Alone?

Marshy

Hi all,

Had our visa granted in november but my girlfriend of 7 years has got cold feet and decided Australia is not for her anymore.

I still think its too good an opportunity to let slip away and i've decided to go for it alone. It's definatley a exciting but daunting time at the moment and i could do with sharing my enthusiasm with like minded people.

Im heading to Adelaide, I'm a 29 year old floor layer from Barry, South Wales. I also have family in Brisbane.

Can anyone give me a heads up on the flooring game as there don't seem to be a lot about floor laying or finishing on these web forums?

Also i was wondering if anyone has shipped a transit van over to oz as the vans there seem to be expensive and a bit dated. I'm currently using an 03 transit but would consider updating it here and shipping if the price was right.

Any tradesman's experiences and / or advice warmly welcomed.

Oh and Happy New Year to you all

Kind Regards

Danny

icon6.png

Guest Jennet
Hi all,

Had our visa granted in november but my girlfriend of 7 years has got cold feet and decided Australia is not for her anymore.

I still think its too good an opportunity to let slip away and i've decided to go for it alone. It's definatley a exciting but daunting time at the moment and i could do with sharing my enthusiasm with like minded people.

Im heading to Adelaide, I'm a 29 year old floor layer from Barry, South Wales. I also have family in Brisbane.

Can anyone give me a heads up on the flooring game as there don't seem to be a lot about floor laying or finishing on these web forums?

Also i was wondering if anyone has shipped a transit van over to oz as the vans there seem to be expensive and a bit dated. I'm currently using an 03 transit but would consider updating it here and shipping if the price was right.

Any tradesman's experiences and / or advice warmly welcomed.

Oh and Happy New Year to you all

Kind Regards

Danny

icon6.png

ah thats ashame not a good start to the new year but hopefully if you keep focused and follow your dream it will get better, guess you will need to head to brighton area or around there as most young people/professionals tend to go, more close by for nights out :smile:

Hi Danny,its Clare here-Im married to tim Saunders an electrician and we're also from Barry south Wales.We are emigrating to Adelaide when we eventually sell our house,its been up for sale for 5 months now and are hoping things are going to get moving in the new year.We are flying out to adelaide in feb to activiate our visas so if there is anything you need to ask or want us to find out for you let me know before we go and i'll do my best to find out for you.My husband thinks he knows you as there is a floor layer hed been talking to about emigration to oz but not sure if thats you.If we manage to get there before you at least we could meet up with you when you arrive so you know someone there.Oh and happy new year to you too,Clare and Tim saunders :-)

I think you are dead right saying it is too good an opportunity to pass up. Back in my younger days :wink: I came out to Australia on a working holiday visa for 14 months. At the time I was supposed to be coming with my then boyfriend but he got cold feet too, so I said "see ya I am off on an adventure" and left him behind and went travelling on my own. I had the time of my life and visiting here on a working holiday visa made me want to come and live here permanently. Fast forward 15 years and the ex boyfriend is still living in our home town, still working for the same organisation and ended up living a bit of a Jerry Springer show life. To this day I have never regretted leaving him behind and when I returned from my working holiday visa he said he wished he had come with me.

I think you are dead right saying it is too good an opportunity to pass up. Back in my younger days :wink: I came out to Australia on a working holiday visa for 14 months. At the time I was supposed to be coming with my then boyfriend but he got cold feet too, so I said "see ya I am off on an adventure" and left him behind and went travelling on my own. I had the time of my life and visiting here on a working holiday visa made me want to come and live here permanently. Fast forward 15 years and the ex boyfriend is still living in our home town, still working for the same organisation and ended up living a bit of a Jerry Springer show life. To this day I have never regretted leaving him behind and when I returned from my working holiday visa he said he wished he had come with me.

Thanks for your interest guys, I just want to get stuck in now and get over there!

And yes I do know Tim. Thought you were off to qld? Good luck with the sale of the house this year..

Guest ReadyPenny
i do know there is a big shortage of vinyl floor layers. I have been told by one of the companies we use there is less than 30 (to an acceptable standard) layers in SA. Always have issues getting enough labour to lay vinyl at work

My hubby is a qualified floor layer who lays vinyl Ian, what line of work are you in that are struggling to get layers??

Guest ReadyPenny

Danny

Feel free to PM me with any questions you have. Vans are very expensive here, comparatively, but so is shipping one when you weigh up the costs!!!! You can get Transits, Sprinters, Ducatos here that are suitable for carpet laying but they are pricey!!! Will you be self-employed?

Danny

Feel free to PM me with any questions you have. Vans are very expensive here, comparatively, but so is shipping one when you weigh up the costs!!!! You can get Transits, Sprinters, Ducatos here that are suitable for carpet laying but they are pricey!!! Will you be self-employed?

Yes, I am self employed at the moment would be sub contracting there, same as uk hopefully.

Is your bloke subbing? I'm open to any options to be honest to get me started.

Is he finding it easy to get work constantly?

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Danny

Yeah Sean's a subbie, tends to work for the same place all the time, close to home and great pay once you land a decent place!! If you would like more info we'll do it by private message, laying is VERY different here lol!!!

i do know there is a big shortage of vinyl floor layers. I have been told by one of the companies we use there is less than 30 (to an acceptable standard) layers in SA. Always have issues getting enough labour to lay vinyl at work

Where abouts are you based ian and what industry are you in?

if thats the case we'll all be alright

cheers mate

I work as a site manager for Hansen Yuncken. All the flooring trades we use have never enough labour. Alot of the labour that will be needed for the new RAH will have to come from interstate as not enough here to do. Especially with all the other major projects in the pipeline coming up or starting soon

Guest steveygee

Barry!! Were you ever an extra in Gavin and Stacey? ;-) I do love that show though :)

You made the right decision mate. And, if on the offchance you don't like it..... nothing ventured, nothing gained right?

Barry!! Were you ever an extra in Gavin and Stacey? ;-) I do love that show though :)

You made the right decision mate. And, if on the offchance you don't like it..... nothing ventured, nothing gained right?

Haha, never an extra but seen them around when filming and stuff, for a while everybody thought it was my dog on the beach at the beginning of each show. It wasn't but I rolled with it for a while :)

I am a Barry island boy tho. Right what your saying, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Ambition is critical, worse case scenario is I could be back on the rock eating mamma's home cooking without a penny in my pocket!

Thats a gamble I can live with.

Guest Adelaide_bound

If you want to ship something modern over (car/van wise I'm talking about lol), you will need to have owned it for 12 months prior, and had access to use it (ie sitting on your drive or something, you can't claim you've owned it for 12 months when it was registered to someone 200 miles away for eg :) ), so that needs planning depending on when you want to come out etc. Shipping is expensive and a hassle, so you have to weigh up the swings and roundabouts of shipping vs just accepting cars cost out in Oz - the plus side to that is that it doesn't depreciate like a nasty thing the second you drive it off the forecourt like here, so you get a good sell on price :)

Guest Jennet
Update. My girlfriend is now saying she's going to give it a try, hopefully she sticks to it!

ah thats good, hope things go ok, life is too short to not give different things a try

:smile: