Should I stay or should I go???

Guest KazzyG

Guest KazzyG

Hi all

New to here, so please be gentle. I can get into SA due to SS and my occupation having high eligibility. I've filled my VETASSESS forms in and have the card details to put in and press 'submit' - there are a few things stopping me and that's probably a lack of knowledge.

I'm 37 and wanting to bring my 2 x cats and 2 x dogs with me (costs a fortune but hey ho). Few questions, how would a single female be received in Oz? How hard is it going to be realistically to find a rental property with my animals - leaving them behind is not an option. I'll be coming over with approx £12,000 - will that be enough until I get a new job? What areas would you recommend - obv don't want anywhere dodgy? I can live anywhere in SA but would prefer to be within 40 mins of Adelaide. Also, I've read on a few threads that there's some hostility towards poms in Oz - is that your experience?

:confused:

I won't miss my family as I hardly see them, and I only see my close friends about 4 times a year now due to me living in Scotland and them in England so not worried about leaving them behind.

Thanks for your help in advance :-)

Guest Adelaide_bound

Hiya - we're not there for another month or so ourselves, so can't answer some of the questions,but wanted to say hello (tis a friendly bunch on PIA) and just pick up on a couple of points.

You get good and bad where-ever you go in the world. That means people not liking other people as well as full on crime stuff, so yeah, there are people who don't like Poms over there, but imho, there wouldn't be so many Poms over there if it were that big an issue (or indeed, an issue at all). As a single female - that again depends on you - its not an orthodox country so its not like women need a chaperone or anything, but like any westernised country, if you go out in a bra top and hotpants you probably will attract attention (then again, having seen some of the beach attire not even that might be too true in some places lol). IMHO NZ is more parochial than Oz and as a single female over there I never ever felt anything other than completely relaxed and comfortable so not an issue at all imho.

The £12K imho (again lol) would be completely fine....if you didn't have dependants. From what I have heard it is harder to get a rental with pets, and you may need to pay a pet bond, so obviously that costs more and you have to be less flexible, but its not the end of the world. However, I am also a firm believer in you make things happen because you need to on whatever situation you find yourself in, so if you are prepared to do the leg work its not a terrible situation to find oneself in - I've heard of people moving with less with more dependants etc. It might be worth seeing if you can stagger the pets arrival to give you longer to find somewhere to rent so you aren't stressing about them coming out of quarantine, but seeing as they need to be in there at least 30 days (although something in my head thinks it might have gone up, but equally that might just be me going slightly mad lol) it gives you time, even after their arrival to find something - for me it would just be a time thing. I'm sure people far more knowledgeable than me will come on and give the actual situation as it stands in SA, but we were under the impression there were certain rules in certain council areas about the number of pets/cats you can have etc, so that's something to look into as well.

HTH a little - no-one can tell you whether to go for it or not really, as only you know you, but it is often said it is the things we do not do that we regret in life, not the things we give a go to.

Guest KazzyG

Thanks Adelaide_Bound.

I have no issue with upping sticks and moving abroad due to me moving every 2 years whilst being in the UK!! I just want a heads up on areas to avoid if a single female so that I can price accommodation etc. I wasn't aware of the council rules re. animals so thanks for that, definitely something I need to look into more :frown:

Good to know my funds should hopefully be enough, although if I'm realistic I think it's more likely to be £9k. The animal export companies over here are soooo slow at providing quotes, and I've heard there can be up to £1500 price difference.

Ooooh one more thing, does anyone know how comfy the economy class tickets are when faced with a 22 hour flight or are you best trying to upgrade if possible?

Thanks.

Hi Kazzy - I'm in the same boat as you, but without the pets: A single woman wondering how it would be to move overseas alone lol I am however, planning to get myself a couple of pets after I move :smile:

Guest KazzyG

Hi Sol

If I was in your situation I wouldn't hesitate. The added cost of exporting them over is a killer, I could get my parents to look after the dogs for a few months I guess and just bring the cats over for a start, but it's the concern over trusting my mum and dad to take them for their blood tests etc. Then obviously I want to be sure that I can find somewhere for us all to live in a good area. It is possible, I do it now in Scotland and I can't imagine Oz is any worse than here for renting with pets.

Hi Kazzy - I'm in the same boat as you, but without the pets: A single woman wondering how it would be to move overseas alone lol I am however, planning to get myself a couple of pets after I move :smile:

Guest Squareman

What is your motivation to want to live in Oz? If you are in so much doubt about the move, added to the fact that you dont seem to have any idea what life in Oz is like, my suggestion is that you come over here on a recce holiday first. It will cost you extra money, obviously, but no where near as much as an 'emigration gone wrong' scenario, given that you have pets. Come and take a look, meet prospective employers etc. Then make a more qualified decision

Guest KazzyG

I have friends in Oz and it's something I've always wanted to do since I was 22, my main motivation though is that I don't actually think my job will be around in the UK in 18 months time, and there are more prospects in Australia. I've recently got divorced and my husband wouldn't emigrate with me, now I feel it's my time in life. I don't have any doubts about doing it, but similarly it's surely not unreasonable to ask where decent areas for a single female are, or how difficult it really is to rent with animals? It's no different to what my concerns were when I moved 350 miles to Scotland - and I don't regret a second of that move either, I just like to have all the facts.

Guest Squareman

My suggestion was based on the simplicity of your questions. You asked how a 'single female would be received.'. This is a very basic question, something that might be asked by someone planning a trip to Qatar or Libya!

I still recommend a recce visit. Everyone has different tastes and expectations. A forum such as this can help you REFINE your decisions, and there are some lovely, honest and very helpful people on here to help you do that (and some grumpy gits like me) but there's no substitute for first-hand experience

Guest KazzyG

Maybe i didn't choose the correct wording initially, but i felt my follow ups clarified things a wee bit. I'm happy to do a recce but it will leave me short for the animal exportation and i don't believe you can make a decision on a week or 2's experience

Guest KazzyG

I like your thinking Squareman, it's sensible - I'm not known for that! lol

I'll look into costings, already got a big holiday booked so need to be careful as I'll run out of days etc.

are you going to regret this if you don't do it???

Internet is invaluable in researching the area, cheaper properties mean rougher areas.... look at smaller city living, Norwood Park is lovely, very boho. At least if you find a 6mnth rental you can get to know area, outer suburbs etc. Aussies are very animal friendly, you might just have to be squashed in until you find your feet.

Adelaide very cosmopolitan and you'll have no problem being recieved, everyone is friendly and almost everyone has a connection to UK so it opens conversations well. there is a website www.meetup.com/cities/au/adelaide that have lots different groups that arrange meet ups around the area based on your interests, this got reccommended to me.

regarding the plane, I travelled economy with 2 kids one 5 and one 2...was fine , you will be too. Book on-line in UK it was much cheaper, I flew with Singapore Airlines. Really reccommend!

Left UK with husband and family after having very few prospects left, Mr came out with job in September I followed beg Dec with kids. We'd visited 7 years ago, Mr's family live here, and we always wanted to come back. No regrets yet........!

Guest KazzyG

Yes I will Hillyers, I had the chance to go to Canada a few years ago but my husband told me in no uncertain circumstances how he felt so I put it off, then when I realised I could get into Oz via SS in SA it seems stupid to let it go by me now my divorce is through. For the last 2 weeks I've researched loads, but the conflicting info is a pain in the arse, but then I'm prob more laid back than some of these 'whinging pom's'! I just don't want to waste anymore of my life in what essentially may become a dead-end job.

Hi Kazzy

It was great to read your thread. I'm 37 next week, single and looking to move to Adelaide within the next 18 months. I've passed the IELTS test and am waiting for some docs from my old university so I can send off for my skills assessment. It's such a long process but at least this gives me time to save up.

I've been doing as much research as possible but most info out there seems to be about families moving, so it's good to hear from someone else in a similar position.

I'm also researching where to move to and am interested in identifying areas that should be avoided. I like to go for walks and as you will be walking your dogs, you want to feel safe when heading out.

Good luck making your decision, let me know what you decide.

Koren

Guest KazzyG

Hi Koren,

I'm waiting to hear from my old employers so I have evidence to send off, will still have to do a statutory declaration as well as 2 of the companies went under. I've researched loads and have contacted a friend in NSW and one in VIC who have given me a heads up where to go in Adelaide. So I'm just researching rental prices as I type this. Eastern suburbs seem to be the best areas - Kensington, Norwood, Buleah Park. Also Rostrevor, Burnside, Brighton, Sefton Park. Just wanna get it all moving now :-)

Karen

I think it would be invaluable. It was to me and many others who have gone through this. Up to you though......

Good luck

Hi Kazzy,

I must say that I totally agree with Squareman. Initially we had our hearts set on Brisbane, but a recce in 2010 of the major Aussie cities made us realise that Adelaide was for us. ( I cant explain why, it just felt right).

I think a decision of this magnitude made on 2 weeks experience is better than one been made on no actual experience. Just my opinion, but it is based on experience.

All the best with whatever you decide.

Paul

Guest cazzie

Hi Kazzy,

My OH came to Adelaide 20 years ago with his then partner and an 11 month old child. Neither had jobs lined up and no reccie beforehand. He says 'go for it' as it is all a risk anyway. He soon sorted out a job - much easier when you are here - and the rest is history. Research as much as you can by communicating with folk on online forums and keeping up with news/current affairs etc. I think you show great courage in going it alone and wish you all the best.

BTW we live in Hallett Cove and love it.

Hi and welcome :)

I do not think you will have a problem as a single woman, letting with 4 pets may be an issue however, I was worried enough with 1 dog!

We did not need to pay extra but did ensure that we got personal and professional references of her character from friends/neighbours in the UK. She cost more than all 4 of us to get out here to god knows how much it will cost you to get them over. If you can maybe see if a family member or friend can pet sit for you until you're settled - would you be able to get all of you back to UK if it does not work out?

Best of luck, it sounds like it is time for you to be selfish and do what you want - NB My hubby and I had never been to Oz before we landed with our PR! Best decision ever, love it! :) xx

Guest KazzyG

£6k excluding all the tests, vaccines, quarantine etc! So all in all about £9k to get them out. Yeah my plan is to let my mum & dad have them until I'm settled (prob cpl of months) and then fly them out - at least that way hopefully I'll have some sort of job lined up too. With regards to Sears family question could I afford to get us all back?? Not initially no, not without a job, however I have no intentions of uprooting myself & the furry kids to not give it a damn good go (at least 3 years), if I don't like Adelaide after a cpl of years at least I can then move around Oz and find somewhere else. I'm not averse to risk taking, I think it enhances life :cool:

Interesting to read this, we are just hopefully coming to the point of being able to apply for the main visa, and we are considering a two week trip just to see what it's like. We've seen other areas, but not Adelaide. The size of the life decision is becoming more apparent to us now!

FWIW I think you'll have real issues with finding a rental if you have animals in tow. Basic accommodation for a single person shouldn't be too hard to come by however dogs would require a garden which would mean a house which may not be that easy to get. Cats are not too well liked by many people and are, in some areas, fair game i.e. instead of swerving to avoid one many people would swerve to get one. A guy (ex-SAPol) I worked with a few years back even did it in a police patrol car once.

Guest KazzyG

I've looked on the real estate website and there are houses in decent enough areas that will allow pets. Considering i'm being called into a redundancy announcement meeting on Thursday, I'm more determined than ever to make this work.

Generally though a rental has multiple applications if it's a good one and may take the applications to the owner who makes the final decision. In both cases referees from previous rentals and being in employment are usually looked on well. Someone fresh into the country with a set of animals may not therefore rate too highly. You may have to start off in a less than desirable area and move only once you are established here.

I think it would be invaluable. It was to me and many others who have gone through this. Up to you though......

I agree with you, KazzyG. Lots of people don't have a reccie before moving and of course it can work just fine without.

It does sound mad to move halfway round the world without having a bit of a look-see - and if you feel you want to, go for it, good for you.. But if like us, you don't want to, don't worry. I also feel that it would be hard to make a reccie seem like anything more than a holiday. I reckon a lot of people return to the UK because there was no way they could anticipate how much they would miss their family and friends, which is totally understandable.

I guess you might have to try a little harder to find a rental that will take your fur kids but I'm sure you will. You might need to be a bit flexible is all.

Good luck! You go girl ;)

LC