How can i settle in Adelaide quikly

Guest samith143

Guest samith143

Hi all,

I'm totally new to this and totally clueless. First let me introduce my selves, my name is sam and I’m a SriLankan, currently working as senior consultant specalissed on J2EE/mobile platform (ios/android),

I got my 475 visa approved and I’m planning to move to Adelaide on end of March or beginning of April.I'm totally clueless where to start my new life, my questions are

Which area is good to live (East/West/South/North)

What sort of things first I should do arriving to SA

How can I rent a home/vehicle (what is the procedure & cost)

What are the job search sites?

Please guide me to settle in SA quickly…

Thanks & Regards

Sam

Hi welcome to the site

One of my son's best friends is Sri Lankan - he's away on holidays with his folks at the moment though (in Sri Lanka!) so I can't pick their brains about any Sri Lankan support networks in Adelaide at the moment, but will when they get back.

Adelaide is truly multicultural city so I'm sure you will have no problem settling, as long as you keep an open mind and enjoy the place for what it is.

Your first tasks on arrival are all the stuff any migrant has to deal with - getting your TFN (Tax file number), registering with Medicare, setting up a bank account etc. Do a site search for 'Checklist' or have a look here: http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/content/

Job search sites - the main one is http://www.seek.com.au

HTH

Diane

Hey Sam,

Welcome to RAdelaide in advance! It's a great city!

In answer to your questions....

I live in the south myself but it depends what you like - if love being near the sea then the west if for you, if you like vineyards, etc then far south or the hills, it really depends on where you'll be working and how long you are prepared to commute :-)

Read Diane's link above - some very good advice in there!

There's a gentleman on here whom my family and I use for car hire - his name is Mick and his contact number is: 0416 315 906 - he's an independent business, but cheap, reliable and trustworthy. You need a full drivers licence, if you give him a call he will let you know costs etc.

What are the job search sites?

Again, Diane's post above gives great information.

Good luck on your journey!!

Karen

Guest samith143

Hi Diane,

Thank you for sharing the information.

Emigrating pre-departure checklist & post-arrival checklist (http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/content/) help me to get an idea where to start, thanks lot for sharing that link.

I'm planing to rent a house/apartment/room (my self only) & vehicle can you please help me on that.like what is the procedure and the cost involved,

Thanks,

Sam.

Guest samith143

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the information, I'm not clear about what you meant by the "full drivers licence" I'm holding a driving licence in SL, as per my finding i think i can use that for three months, after that i have to apply for one, please advice me on this.

Thanks

Sam

Hey Sam,

Welcome to RAdelaide in advance! It's a great city!

In answer to your questions....

I live in the south myself but it depends what you like - if love being near the sea then the west if for you, if you like vineyards, etc then far south or the hills, it really depends on where you'll be working and how long you are prepared to commute :-)

Read Diane's link above - some very good advice in there!

Hi Dianne,I am coming to adelaide in 2 weeks for a holiday to activate our visas,we have been looking to rent a car,how could i contact him on this site ? thakyou i advance clare