What paperwork to bring??

Guest silverload

Guest silverload

Hi all,

Was just wondering what paperwork people bring over with them in terms of references for rentals, etc. I know the basic references for work, but do the banks need certain copies of things(birth certificates etc) and do people bring over copies of their bank statements, P60s, pay slips and so on? Any info would be great.

Guest the Tews

Hi

We did bring a lot of our paperwork with us in plastic files in our hand luggage. For the bank we set up an account with Westpac before we left and only needed our passports when we went to activate the account. Medicare needed passports again and we also took a copy of our visa grant letter but do make sure that it has the words permanent resident on it as ours didn't and took us even longer to sort. We were lucky and had our rental sorted out for us but have still brought a few bank statements, wage slips etc just in case, and I thought that it was all safer with us than in a container that you don't see for 3 months! You can claim the equivalent of family allowance from centrelink and they also only need passports but the online form is a nightmare!!

If you haven't got p45 yet then print off a copy of the form for claiming your tax back from the IR if you have then fill it in!

Hope this helps, Andrea

Guest Jo&Phil

I'd say bring as much as you can.

It's very useful to have original documents relating to qualifications, birth certificates and legal documents relating to you as an individual.

References from employers and banks etc ......... I didn't need them but I would say, if you have room, bring them. A folder of paper shouldn't take up too much room in the suitcase ........... better to have them with you from day 1 then have to wait for them to eventually arrive with a container.

Guest silverload

Thanks guys, I have most of that type of paperwork, just need to sort out the bank references and the tax claim as I wouldn't get a P45 in time before our move.

I agree everything should go in the hand luggage too.

We brought everything we could and so far have only shown our passport! We have bank account and rental and contract phones all with just a passport! And registered with agencies!