Starting from Scratch

Guest heljay2007

Guest heljay2007

Hi

We are thinking of a move to Oz after my husband was contacted by his old work colleague and friend who moved to Adelaide 2 years ago. My husband was whinging about his job on Facebook and he messaged him to say get yourself over plenty of jobs here and good money too.

We have been able to think of little else since and his friend has been in contact a few times since giving us names of the recruitment people who got him a job out there and putting a word in for my OH. They want him to send in his cv as they are really keen.

We have 3 children, 1 between us and 2 from previous relationships. This is a major stumbling block for us as I may be able to take my 12 year old daughter (if her dad doesn't fight me) and if she wants to go, but OH will never be able to take his son who is 9, and is very worried that an already fragile bond may not survive(long story but they don't have a great relationship, and I feel are never going to have).

The thing is in the UK we are struggling. I had to go bankrupt 4 years ago after my first husband died suddenly and my new OH has really bad credit from a previous relationship. We live hand to mouth and each month fall a little bit more behind. Things are getting worse job wise in the UK and neither of us feels safe in our employment. OH more than me. He thinks he's lucky if he doesn't get his P45 with his wage slip every Friday.

If we did come over to Oz it would be with nothing. We would have to rent and would have no savings to fall back on, but OH should have employment straight away and a lot better paid than his job here. In fact he can earn the same as me and him together are earning in the UK.

has anybody ever done this. Come over with nothing? I kind of feel we have nothing to lose as over here we have nothing and steadily dropping lower than that every month. Its the Kids factor that is my main problem but then I think we could be offering them a better life as we could have more money and a better quality of life than we do now and soon they will be old enough to make their own choice as to where they want to be.

Sorry for rambling, I just keep thinking if we don't take this opportunity now and wait for the kids to be over 16 we might never get it again

Thanks if you read this far!

Guest Cornish Pasties

Hi,

Like you say - you have nothing to lose so why not just give it a go! You might find that it's the best decision you ever made but if you don't give it a go you will always be thinking " what if"

Best of luck to you

Guest vikkiann

We have a 175 visa and we had to show that we had $20,000 dollars to be able to support us and 4 children. I don't know if different visa's are different.

If you don't try it you'll never know! If you do try it and you don't like it you can always return to this hell hole.

What does your husband do for a job?

Good luck with your decision.

Vikki

xx

Hi

We are thinking of a move to Oz after my husband was contacted by his old work colleague and friend who moved to Adelaide 2 years ago. My husband was whinging about his job on Facebook and he messaged him to say get yourself over plenty of jobs here and good money too.

We have been able to think of little else since and his friend has been in contact a few times since giving us names of the recruitment people who got him a job out there and putting a word in for my OH. They want him to send in his cv as they are really keen.

We have 3 children, 1 between us and 2 from previous relationships. This is a major stumbling block for us as I may be able to take my 12 year old daughter (if her dad doesn't fight me) and if she wants to go, but OH will never be able to take his son who is 9, and is very worried that an already fragile bond may not survive(long story but they don't have a great relationship, and I feel are never going to have).

The thing is in the UK we are struggling. I had to go bankrupt 4 years ago after my first husband died suddenly and my new OH has really bad credit from a previous relationship. We live hand to mouth and each month fall a little bit more behind. Things are getting worse job wise in the UK and neither of us feels safe in our employment. OH more than me. He thinks he's lucky if he doesn't get his P45 with his wage slip every Friday.

If we did come over to Oz it would be with nothing. We would have to rent and would have no savings to fall back on, but OH should have employment straight away and a lot better paid than his job here. In fact he can earn the same as me and him together are earning in the UK.

has anybody ever done this. Come over with nothing? I kind of feel we have nothing to lose as over here we have nothing and steadily dropping lower than that every month. Its the Kids factor that is my main problem but then I think we could be offering them a better life as we could have more money and a better quality of life than we do now and soon they will be old enough to make their own choice as to where they want to be.

Sorry for rambling, I just keep thinking if we don't take this opportunity now and wait for the kids to be over 16 we might never get it again

Thanks if you read this far!

hi,

im in the same boat as you!

im married with 3 kids, one from previous relationship. i know her dad wont let me take her out of the contry without his consent even though he hasn't seen her in 12 months. My sister as already emigrated to Adelaide 3 yrs ago, the best thing she eve did!!

Me and my husband are going to manchester 12th Feb for a seminar of some sort, all to do the emigrating to Australia, they give advice on visas, work, house hunting etc. Hopefully we will have a better idea after feb.

Gwenno

Guest PaulandVicky

Hello Heljay2007,

we have not done it ourselves. But someone I known manged it with £14000 after selling everything.

If your OH can find work before you arrive. Hopefully it should be a nice soft landing for you.

Just check the immigration web site for amount of money you are supposed to have at your disposal.

Give it a go! Good luck.

Regards

Guest abbiedog

hi, if you can get a job offer and a visa through sponsorship it may be easier, I think you would need to have a bit of money with you for rental bonds etc.. we havnt made the move ourselves yet but the advice we have had is to bring enough cash to support yourself for 3 months at least, as all you do on arrival is spend , spend , spend. but I wish you lots of luck...

Jenny

I suppose it depends on the definition of making the move with 'nothing'. Some might mean a few thousand pounds savings by that, others might mean it literally!

Some people are sponsored by employers and in this case they don't need to worry about the cost of the visa (and occasionally have travel, short-term accommodation etc also paid for), and if that proves to be the case for you then great. For most of us, though, making the move is a costly process: skills assessment, visas, medicals, shipping (or replacement costs if not bringing furniture etc), flight tickets, accommodation (usually short-term furnished at first because furniture hasn't yet arrived/been bought), vehicle, etc.

If all the above can be afforded then it's less of a problem having no further savings for living expenses as long as someone's working from day one. Still, it would be precarious having nothing to fall back on – it's unlikely there'd be benefits or other means of support from day one should something go wrong (although this can depend on visa type and circumstances).

Also, it's understandable to find somewhere else attractive if things aren't going well where you currently are, but sometimes the problems simply follow the people. Debt is a great example of this – it sounds like such an escape to 'wipe the slate clean' and start afresh, but unless the habits that caused the debt in the first place are changed, in a few years' time people can be back in the same situation, just in a different location! (I'm not saying that's the case with the OP, it's just a general observation.)

As well as opportunity and plenty of positives, Adelaide has its share of unemployment, low paid jobs, ever-busier charities because of growing hardship, and all this can be a reality check for some who arrive thinking it will be easier than what they've left behind. On the other hand, plenty do find life better here – just the excitement and energy of making the move, and the determination not to make the same mistakes again can act as strong motivators. Close proximity to beaches, relatively good weather, some stunning scenery and wildlife can make being skint seem less of a burden!

As for the 'what have you got to lose?' question, well only the people making the move know that. The OP mentioned the husband's already fragile relationship with his son (that could be a biggy to lose and could become a source of regret further down the line), and if an employer isn't picking up the tab for the move, then there's a big financial outlay to consider.

Jim

Guest lady 76

Hi all, Im in a bit of the same piccle as some of you, one of my childrens dad will never agree to me going so im thinking should i tell him? Were also going to machester on 12 of feb, someone on here is too? Were hopeing for some more infomation then hopefully get all going :wink:

Guest heljay2007

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies. We are not sure of the situation with the employer at the moment. My OH is going to talk to his friend who is already out there and find out more about the situation as they were the same company that brought him over from the UK so he will be able to tell us what was paid for i.e visa, accomodation, flights etc. That way we will know where we stand financially. If all of this is covered by the employer then that will free up any money we have to bring over with us for rental bonds etc.

In regards to the situation with his son. As an outsider who met them both 4 years ago and has watched the relationship between them go from bad to worse I don't know if this could actually help. Maybe instead of him being forced to come to ours every weekend by his mum, coming out to see us on holiday a couple of times a year may make him happier. We have already discussed with our parents that they would be happy to bring him over with them when they come.

I have spent hours reading these forums to try and decide if this is what we should do. And there seems to be so many mixed feelings on this and other forums. Some say it is the best thing they have ever done and some say the worst.

As for the running up debts again. Since being forced to go bankrupt I have become so careful with money as I never want to be in that situation again. The problem is in this country once you are bankrupt that is it. You will forever be bankrupt. You don't get the chance to explain that the only reason I am bankrupt is that my husband died when I was 28 leaving me with debts that jointly we could afford to pay but on my own I couldn't manage. you just get tarred with the same brush as people who have spent and spent and spent and then used their "get out of jail free card" to wipe out all their debt. At least a fresh start would mean an end to that.

I appreciate all of your advice on this

Hi!! glad that someone else is in a piccle!!! we are also going to manchester 12th feb, i see from your profile your from Wales, so am i!!! hopefully we'll have more info in Feb. Good luck.