Hi

Guest mccxx

Hi all,

been browsing for a few days, thought I'd actually stop by and say hello. Hello! :)

I've just (about 90mins ago actually) been offered a job in Adelaide, not something I've really looked for tbh, one of those out of the blue surprises. Written confirmation of offer, subject to visa, due tomorrow.

OH has always wanted to make the move, but It's something that has seemed out of reach due to various financial doodoo and family circumstances that I won't bore you with lol.

It'd be a sponsored 457 initially, with myself as the primary applicant, and OH as a secondary finding work once we arrived.

Question is, and it's not clear from the hours of reading I've put in on the immi.gov.au site, is there a clear path for converting the 457 to permanent residency once we're there? (and has anyone been thru it that can offer any insight?)

It's all a bit quick, the company I'd be working for has just had another 457 applicant approved in 6 weeks(!), which with my notice period, could mean we'd be arriving as soon as June... (help?)

On the plus side, we've nothing to sell over here bar the Car (10yr v6 (*sob*) xtype owned for 8mo (fsh, 1 prev owner, 134k, £1500 anyone? :) )), but we've also no great depth of reserves to plumb for shipping furniture, etc.. either.

The company itself is based in Kidman Park, so any first hand experiences of living in/around the west side of Flinders Park/Findon/Kidman Park? (I figured to start, cheap and cheerful on the housing, walking distance to work, giving us a chance to find a car by summer that we can both afford and like, or is that a bad plan?)

For those who remember the soggy uk summer, when you compare what you have in Adelaide atm, is it a dry heat or a muggy one?

Question from OH, What's the culture when it comes to washing machines, are they a luxury or normal to have? (ours is on it's last legs so every ft of container space spared ... )

And I've probably rambled enough for one day, so I'll leave you to catch your breath and look forward to reading your replies,

Happy Day,

Mel.

Hello and welcome. And congrats! Big news and very sudden.

I can't comment on visas and the like but didn't want to read and run. And as its Aus nighttime most of the people who can answer your questions about the areas you are considering will be awake in a bit.

The washing machine, if its on its last legs, you can replace easy enough with a new one in Aus. They use top loaders as the norm but front loaders are available also and more seem to be sold these days. But most houses have laundry/utility rooms with plumbing for washing machine and so on, so you should be fine.

As for weather, I don't remember much muggy. It was always a drier heat. I've never spent high summer there though, just spring, autumn and a bit of winter. Mind you, the weather in Aus is doing some strange things the past few years and even my mother in law is complaining summer hasn't been as hot as she likes!!

Hi Mel and welcome! Congrats on your job offer.

We're going out on a 457 next month and it was granted just one week after the application was submitted!!! It's the other stuff that takes the time (house sale, giving notice on current job, shipping, selling unwanted belongings etc.) As for applying for PR, the immigration law firm who submitted our 457 said that they can submit our PR application once we've been in Australia for 2 years on the 457. However, I'm not sure of the exact details off the top of my head but there is a way to get there through the sponsored visa pathway.

Best of luck with whatever decision you reach.

Lyn x

Sudden isn't the word snifter! :)

Dry heat I can handle alot better than muggy, so indications there are good.

1 week Lyn, wow that's fast. No house to sell for us, but then, we hadn't had an inkling of this before 2 weeks ago, so there's been no other prep at all. What you've heard on the PR ties in with what my prospective employers have advised, which is good to hear.

M.

If you are going to live in Kidman park etc, make sure you find a house which is closeish to transport and a decent size shopping centre because there is nothing more likely to cause the post migration doldrums to rear up than a long trek anywhere and having to lug shopping home, especially when you are used to just nipping out in the car. You will be ok as you are busy at work, but while your OH waits to find work, they may begin to feel isolated. Get a car even if it's a cheap run about as quickly as possible.

Summer heat is dry here, but we do get the odd humid day or two, usually waiting for a cool front bringing rain.

More people are buying front loader washing machines, it would be abnormal to not have a washing machine. There are laundrettes dotted about but a lot of people just use the driers.

If you are going to live in Kidman park etc, make sure you find a house which is closeish to transport and a decent size shopping centre because there is nothing more likely to cause the post migration doldrums to rear up than a long trek anywhere and having to lug shopping home, especially when you are used to just nipping out in the car.You will be ok as you are busy at work, but while your OH waits to find work, they may begin to feel isolated. Get a car even if it's a cheap run about as quickly as possible.

very true. wandering down Findon road on street view, there seems to be quite a range of shops, at least there was when they took the pictures. I'll have some local input and assistance on finding somewhere, but we just want the chance to choose a car, rather than buy the first thing we can :)

Summer heat is dry here, but we do get the odd humid day or two, usually waiting for a cool front bringing rain.

[/Quote]

Any good storms?

More people are buying front loader washing machines, it would be abnormal to not have a washing machine. There are laundrettes dotted about but a lot of people just use the driers.[/Quote]

I have to blame himself for that question really, seemed a bit daft initially, but I'm sure there'll be stuff I take for granted here that I'll never think to ask about. Is there a comet/currys type equivalent I can research prices on? (well, I'm sure there is, but would be nice to know what they're called *grin*)

M.

Probably nearest equivalent to Comet/Currys is The Good Guys here's their catalogue http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/prospect/ContentDisplayView?emsName=GEN_PaperCatalogue_Main

Yes we get some brilliant storms and lovely sunsets! Definitely worth having air con here for the summer, and some sort of heating for the winters. It does go down to single figures in the winter and because the houses are mostly not designed for cold, often feels much cooler! Humid days are very few and far between though and on the rare occasions we do get them, it really makes me appreciate living here rather than in some of the 'wetter' states!

My OH came out here on a 457 too (nearly 8 years ago now) - converted to permanent visa after a couple of years, and is now a citizen. I'm afraid I can't remember all the stuff he had to do - remember he had to get another police check but that's about it! - but I'm sure someone who has done this more recently will be able to help you better there. We too did everything in a hurry, including selling the house - it was a bit of a roller coaster but fun in the end! Have you enquired if the sponsoring firm will give you any assistance with the costs of moving (shipping etc) and perhaps put you up in temporary accommodation when you first get here? That does help, and worth asking even if they haven't offered!

Welcome, and see you here soon!