Hello!

bj27

Hi

just a quick message to introduce us. We are a family of 4, kids are 6 and 7, and we are leaving for Adelaide on a permanent resident visa exactly 100 days from today.

It's all very exciting, although the fun part is somewhat hard to find with all the things that have to be taken care of before we can go. Our main issues right now are to get rid of all the things we are not going to take along with us, keep things positive with family and friends and take care of loads of financial stuff.

The two things that worry me after arrival are how to find a good school for our kids and a nice house in the same area, and I hope we'll be able to find a job soon. SO, any advice/tips would be appreciated ;-)

That's about it, I guess. Anything else I should write down in a hello-post?

Nope, think you've covered most of the salient facts! Welcome to the site, and very soon welcome to Adelaide.

The next 100 days will fly by, so make the most of them and be prepared for a bit of post traumatic stress when you first arrive - it's perfectly normal and everyone on the site has either been there, or will be there soon, so ask away and feel free to offload on here anytime.

Guest Jennet
Hi

just a quick message to introduce us. We are a family of 4, kids are 6 and 7, and we are leaving for Adelaide on a permanent resident visa exactly 100 days from today.

It's all very exciting, although the fun part is somewhat hard to find with all the things that have to be taken care of before we can go. Our main issues right now are to get rid of all the things we are not going to take along with us, keep things positive with family and friends and take care of loads of financial stuff.

The two things that worry me after arrival are how to find a good school for our kids and a nice house in the same area, and I hope we'll be able to find a job soon. SO, any advice/tips would be appreciated ;-)

That's about it, I guess. Anything else I should write down in a hello-post?

hi we leave 3rd July so not much between us leaving the UK, i have a 7 year old too, we will be staying in Seaford to start with, i've been looking at schools for ages but have a few in mind to check out, if you go on better education website you can rank schools i've been doing that for ages but they were ranked in 2010 the school websites are pretty good with annual reports to read. good luck with your journey

jennet

Guest Jennet
Thanks Jennet. Good luck to you too!

You mention an education website, is there a specific one you have looked at?

So many things to do, we even have no clue yet as to which area to look at...

But, we'll get there :smile: step by step

Hi

yes i use http://www.bettereducation.com.au you can rank schools on there and see how they perform academically there are the list on left to browse through. i go on ranking schools or find school rating and click on SA, i go on either high or primary school and you can rank 5 schools at a time. its useful but i rank southern suburbs as i know i'm heading that way. make sure you type bettereducation in google and it takes you to it.

jennet

Guest butchy2k

Welcome, or soon to be welcome, July, so you will be leaving the heady hot temps of blighty !!!! and heading into winter, the only difference is the fact its prob gonna be warmer here! lol.

Enjoy it, we did and still do.....

Thanks for the welcomes :smile:

Thanks Jennet for the website

Lyn: Yes, we are looking for a job. Both. The first one to find a good job is going to take it, the other one will stay home until the kids are settled. I have a job in research support, like project manager / business analyst in an academic environment. My OH is a senior records and information manager. He would like a job in an archive.

butchy2k: at first I was sorry to have two winters in a row, but it will give us and the kids time to 'grow' into the summer heat :cool:.

we have a new thing to worry about though. Yesterday evening my mum called to say my father is in hospital with a heart condition. :frown:. I'm glad we're still around but it adds to the stress levels :arghh:

Good luck with everything. Sorry to hear about your father. At least it has been identified and hopefully he is being treated before you go. My father-in-law had a DVT a couple of weeks ago just as we were trying to pack and ship our stuff. A very stressful week....but he's doing ok and we're just glad it happened before our departure.

These things will happen and you just have to pull together as a family to support each other through it.

All the best.

Lyn x

It's all going well, thanks! Can't wait to get out there in one more week. Living with parents which is great. But the good byes are tough. Just want to be there now with Russell and begin the adventure. X

• 1 year later...

hi, just a short note to say hi again. Don't really know why but I haven't been on this site for a long time!

We arrived in Adelaide in Juni 2012 and have lived in a rental house in Seaford since. Kids go to Moana Primary and are happy there, we both found work although it's still on contract. We are enjoying ourselves a great deal!

hi, just a short note to say hi again. Don't really know why but I haven't been on this site for a long time!

We arrived in Adelaide in Juni 2012 and have lived in a rental house in Seaford since. Kids go to Moana Primary and are happy there, we both found work although it's still on contract. We are enjoying ourselves a great deal!

Thanks for the update, glad things are going well.

Hi Peterson and welcome, but get out whilst you can, they liken men to cats and tell terrible jokes, what a bunch of people,:wacko: they even think take-away food is cheap and nice:goofy:

However, your mission, should you wish to accept it, is to enjoy this forum.

sorry Keith but Peterson is no more, he was a purveyor of finest quality spam.

• 3 weeks later...