hello :D

Guest scottyd

Guest scottyd

hello

Were new to this site and found a few good and helpful post on here so far , and will continue reading later on.

My wife(accountant) and I(carpenter) and two kids (1&2) are in early stages of relocating down under.

We narrowed our choices down to two, Adelaide and Melbourne, after a little research Adeliade is coming out on top!

we have been to a couple of exhibitions in the last couple of weeks which have been pretty helpful.

We are looking for as much info as possible on Adelaide, visas, housing market, job market, pre-schools/schooling etc any information on making our move down under as easy as we can would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance for any replies

Scott

Adelaide fer sure :D

It is good for young families, it's on a smaller scale than Melbourne. Housing is cheaper, private schools are cheaper. The beaches are nicer and closer. We have a tram too :D. Pre school education is better here than in Victoria as it has had a definite curriculum of its own, whereas interstate it has been seen as a waiting room for school. Our airport is not an expensive coach ride away, unless you live in an outer suburb. Kids have access to all sports, gymnastics, dance, art clubs, scouts, guides etc. There are youth orchestras, State teams, youth theatre groups, Childrens choirs. Equestrian type activities.

Melbourne is a far nicer city, has much more to do, far more job opportunities and is only 10 years behind Europe.

Adelaide is fine if you are one of the few that can find work, but is stuck in the 70's and doesn't have much going on. Yes the housing is cheaper, but you earn about 25% less than Melbourne so it evens out.

Most people head for South Australia because it's the only state sponsoring people at the moment for certain jobs.

I'd say save yourself the hassle of coming to Adelaide and then moving to Melbourne, and just move there first. Unless you liked the 70's of course, then it'd be the ideal place for you. :-)

Think your being a wee bit harsh Leigh it has moved on a bit reckon its moved into the 80s now LOL

Melbourne is a far nicer city, has much more to do, far more job opportunities and is only 10 years behind Europe.

Adelaide is fine if you are one of the few that can find work, but is stuck in the 70's and doesn't have much going on. Yes the housing is cheaper, but you earn about 25% less than Melbourne so it evens out.

Most people head for South Australia because it's the only state sponsoring people at the moment for certain jobs.

I'd say save yourself the hassle of coming to Adelaide and then moving to Melbourne, and just move there first. Unless you liked the 70's of course, then it'd be the ideal place for you. :-)

Guest Helchops

Talk about being pessimistic leigh...

On the upside, SA are sponsoring people because it is a growing state. Jobs are obviously not quite as easy to come by as a major city, but for us the laid back peaceful lifestyle is the main draw...we're just allowing about four months to find work before we run it of money.

Guest Jennet

i pressed like by mistake, I GUESS your moving out of Adelaide then, if not WHY

We had a similar choice because my husband was in automotive engineering and it was pretty much between Adelaide and Melbourne where we chose to settle. We chose Adelaide because to be honest, I'd had enough of English weather and that's more or less what Melbourne seems to get!

We could have gone anywhere in Australia because I have dual nationality so it wasn't down to state sponsorship or anything like that - since being here we've visited Queensland, Victoria, and New South Wales, and although all those places - and their cities - have their plus points, Adelaide is still the place I'd rather live and bring up kids. Being 'old fashioned' imho is a good thing as far as kids' upbringing is concerned! For younger couples without kids, or singles, perhaps it isn't ideal though. Depends what you're looking for...

Guest Guest75

I'm with Leigh to a certain extent.

There are a lot of people who do settle in South Australia as it is the only state that will have them.

Then some of this contingent moan about the place!!!

Yep Adelaide offers less in work and is behind the times but the "behind the times" adds to her quiet charm if you are looking for that sort of thing. Great place for bringing up a family.

Adelaide is cheaper but wages pro rata.

Leigh is only a young whipper snapper so does not appreciate the finer points of this area yet...........:wink:

Older farts like me enjoy it and young families do.:biggrin:

You can always try other states and areas later.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest scottyd

thanks for all your replies guys, still looking into visas etc and deciding the best route to go down, another quick question; whats the job market like in the construction industry at the moment?

Hi scott, were the same as you,im kerry and my husband also scott we have 3 children and have just plucked the courage to put our visa application in,we def want to do it and it has been a dream for years that is now taking over our lives,so it was time to get on with it,but such a massive decision to make!!! but now were on our way to getting a visa, we to have to decide where to go and schools jobs ect.... its so hard isnt it?? we are using a company called Ian Harrop who so far have been fantastic,i also know someone else who used them and have been there a few years now,i dont know how far in you are with it all,but they will help to choose what visa etc is best for u,also the ielts exams have you done that or do u need to?? good luck with it all,and would love to hear if you find anything out.

Talk about being pessimistic leigh...

On the upside, SA are sponsoring people because it is a growing state.

Not going to get into the Adelaide V Melbourne debate (apart from saying if Melbourne had better weather we'd probably move there!) but just a comment on the above - SA sponsors people because the gov is frantic trying to make the state grow (but the state's population hardly budges). Other states (apart from Tasmania) are growing at a much faster rate than SA. In fact, SA is the only state that ABS projections show might shrink in population in the next fifty years!

Jim

Edited by jim and adel
Remove typos (damn fingers!)