Playing football in Australia

Guest Planty

Guest Planty

Hello, I play football at a high Semi-proffesional level in England and im coming to the end of my last year of university where i've been captaining the 1st team. Im extremely intrersted in playing football over in Australia, but not sure how best to go about, any advice would be much appreciated. Ive heard of teams sorting out accomodation and work for backpackers?

Hope you can help

Regards

Joe

Guest mark&rachel

The standard is not the best here mate. Are you going to be studying still?

Adelaide Utd are the professional team here in SA. As an AFC Wimbledon fan i think im ok to comment but they are about a Division 1 standard team. They wouldnt cope in the Prem or Championship.

There are various lower level teams here but i doubt they will take you on until you have had a trial at least. Depends what area you are living in too.

Guest Planty

Thanks for the reply. I dont plan to study more looking to come out on a 12 month working visa, maybe do some coaching. AFC having an alright season i live not far from them, I play few leagues below at semi-pro, I had just heard (maybe a myth) that semi-pro teams in Aus were prepared to help english players out if they played for them for a season. But as you say I doubted they would do anything without seeing me play.

Guest mark&rachel

Help them out as in Financially and Visa Wise? They may pay you a small wage (and it would be small) but not so sure on the visa although i dont know.

Worth contacting the local clubs to see, you never know.

If you could get a working holiday visa then you maybe in luck.

Who do you play for? I used to play for Redhill and Merstham before work, women and injuries ruined my life. I mean career. haha

Guest Planty

Play for faversham currently because of univeristy, and ive played leatherhead and may rejoin them if i dont get out to Aus. Hopefully after my exams so june july sort of time. The seasons just starting now over there right?

Ok thanks this is all very helpful.

Are there plenty of job opportunities in the area?

Hi Mate

i play for a team called The Cove in the reserves. We havent had the best season previous to this year, but this year we a few players that have come over on a year visa, juts like you are looking at doing. They have played at a high level in England aswell (liverpool reserves)

We are an up and coming team, and pay a small fee.

i will happily put you in touch with the first team manger if you would like.

Scott