Adelaide - good place to live?

Guest australia101

Guest australia101

Okay, is Adelaide a nice place to live? Do you get a relaxing life with lots of beaches?

We're a family thinking of moving out here and would like a suburb not too close to the city, but within an hours drive to Adelaide's centre. We would LOVE to be close to beaches and to live in a suburb with good schools and a nice community. Also pest free and clean and green!! We're looking to spend up to $400,000 on a house aswell.

Thanks! All help appreciated.

Guest SA Great

95% of the Hallett Cove population is English and with good reason. It ticks all the boxes that you are looking for. Although the beach is a bit shabby. Could also try Flagstaff Hill, Aberfoyle Park which is 10 min drive to beach. Or further south to maybe Noarlunga which is on the border of your 1 hour drive to the city. The further you go out the more you will get for your money.

Okay, is Adelaide a nice place to live? Do you get a relaxing life with lots of beaches?

We're a family thinking of moving out here and would like a suburb not too close to the city, but within an hours drive to Adelaide's centre. We would LOVE to be close to beaches and to live in a suburb with good schools and a nice community. Also pest free and clean and green!! We're looking to spend up to $400,000 on a house aswell.

Thanks! All help appreciated.

Guest Paula H
95% of the Hallett Cove population is English and with good reason. It ticks all the boxes that you are looking for. Although the beach is a bit shabby. Could also try Flagstaff Hill, Aberfoyle Park which is 10 min drive to beach. Or further south to maybe Noarlunga which is on the border of your 1 hour drive to the city. The further you go out the more you will get for your money.

If PN is an hour to the city, then do you know what Aldinga is?

We have just bought a house in largs north, 400m from beach 35 m from the CBD, for about the money you are looking to spend, our children are doing well in both primary and high schools and you have semaphore 5 mins down, would thoughrly recommend it.

Guest Barney Rubble
If PN is an hour to the city, then do you know what Aldinga is?[/quote:biglaugh:

A packed lunch and a water bottle, sorry couldn't resist

There are good beaches everywhere in Adelaide but if you want to live close to one so that you could walk to the beach then it's the southern suburbs in my opinion, there are more beaches the further south you go all the way to Victor Harbour & Goolwa which are more like day trips out, as for a green one in summer that could be an issue in Adelaide.

Aldinga is about an hour from the city depending on the time you leave there is a lot of Brits going to Aldinga because of affordability with the pound being so weak against the Dollar.

When the infrastructure in the south is completed this will make the city more accessible I personally wouldn’t go further than Seaford Rise But Check out Moana or some parts of Port Noarlunga & Seaford.

I travel from Seaford Rise to the city every day and will take me around 45 mins so it’s not that bad at all, nothing like when I worked in Manchester or what some people on here will tell you.

Mark.

Hi

In my opinion, I like the southern Suburbs. Seaford Rise, Port Noalunga and lovely Moana. We live MOana - we can smell, see and hear the sea ! We have a few shops we can walk to or a 2 min drive to Seaford Shopping Mall. There are a number of schools all within 5 -15 mins drive. There are a couple of playgrounds for the kids and public bbqs. Im sat here now just listening to the birds and its just bliss!

Take a look on http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/in-5169/list-1?source=location-search and check out all the propertes for your budget!

Sarahx

Guest SA Great

There are great beaches all along the coastline but as somebody else said it does get cheaper the further south you go BUT it can limit your employment opportunities so think about that. With no traffic you could do city to maslins in an hour but thats at 3 in the morning! Maybe Moana as a cut off point if you want to limit your travel from the city to an hour to play safe.

Now expecting all the Aldinga and Sellicks crowd to get stuck into me saying they can do it in an hour. There nust be a lot of people down there that own helicopters.

Why is it everyone moving from the UK wants to live near a beach? Don't really understand it myself.

Personally if money was no object I'd be looking at somewhere like North Adelaide, Burnside, Norwood or Kensington Gardens. Unfortunately money is a consideration so we will probably end up somewhere like Rostrever, or possibly Magil or Burnside if a cheap property came available. The beach will still be closer than where I'm living at the moment....

Guest SA Great

hahaha I totally agree NicF! There are some beautiful places in the Adelaide Hills and foothills and its not really that far from the beach. Highbury and athelstone are also really nice (expecting a comment from Diane now!!).

Why is it everyone moving from the UK wants to live near a beach? Don't really understand it myself.

Personally if money was no object I'd be looking at somewhere like North Adelaide, Burnside, Norwood or Kensington Gardens. Unfortunately money is a consideration so we will probably end up somewhere like Rostrever, or possibly Magil or Burnside if a cheap property came available. The beach will still be closer than where I'm living at the moment....

Guest Jennet

I'd say, live where it suits yourself when your in Adelaide, have a look around and think about what job you will be doing first, i'm going to the southern suburbs to start with as that's where my friend lives, then i will decide when i'm out there so i can see first hand and what suits us all as a family, plus i stayed in the southern suburbs in 2003 (seaford Rise) and i didn't think it was that bad of a travel to the city.

I like Aldinga the travel to the city doesn't bother me if you live in Leeds and need to go by the city centre in peak traffic then give yourself 2 hours for 20 -30 mins drive.

It depends on what type of person you are to where you live too, travelling in traffic and how long it takes to reach the city in Adelaide is also down to peoples patience level. :arghh::biglaugh:

Also I think that if you have kids, the better state schools are around these areas, and the (close) western suburbs - for state high schools the ones with the best reps seem to be Brighton, Marryatville, Glenunga, Norwood Morialta and Adelaide High (not necessarily in that order) - bear in mind you will need to prove you are living within the catchment areas for these schools. You really need to choose between green leafy areas, or non-green beachy areas, difficult to have both here in Adelaide. The "Hills" don't have to be those that are accessible from the Freeway (Stirling, Hahndorf, Bridgewater etc) - you can also look at areas such as Belair and the surrounds (only about 15 mins to the beaches from there), Aberfoyle Park, or as mentioned, Eastern and North Eastern suburbs.

Best thing is to wait till you get here, see where you will be working, check out commuting routes, then pick somewhere that ticks as many of your boxes as possible. What I struggle with is people who want to make a decision on a suburb to live in longterm before they know those things - seems a bit ass about face to me :wink:

hahaha I totally agree NicF! There are some beautiful places in the Adelaide Hills and foothills and its not really that far from the beach. Highbury and athelstone are also really nice (expecting a comment from Diane now!!).

Just to make you happy...here I am!!:tongue:

Maybe some off us lived by the beach in UK!!!!. Having said that, affordability is one of the biggest factor in where to live. I reckon North adelaide is the best but I would settle for a sea view at Kingston park or Marino..........lottery win permitting!

Guest yogi64

I totally agree, we live just over an 1 hour from the city, 30mins to my work, 30mins to some of the best secluded beaches around, miles of pristine sand with no bugger there and with great fishing may i add, 15mins to some of the best food and wine areas, good house prices with big blocks (over 500 sq m, LOL), safe for kids, a primary school, a high school (with only 435 pupils and a high rating), a top notch hospital, 4 pubs with good food, 2 bakeries, 2 super markets, 2 servos, 2 banks, a big post office, numerous other shops and a great community sprit, are we happy. oh yeah.

Mike

P.S. did I mention how quite it is, just listen to that.

Edited by yogi64

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
I totally agree, we live just over an 1 hour from the city, 30mins to my work, 30mins to some of the best secluded beaches around, miles of pristine sand with no bugger there and with great fishing may i add, 15mins to some of the best food and wine areas, good house prices with big blocks (over 500 sq m, LOL), safe for kids, a primary school, a high school (with only 435 pupils and a high rating), a top notch hospital, 4 pubs with good food, 2 bakeries, 2 super markets, 2 servos, 2 banks, a big post office, numerous other shops and a great community sprit, are we happy. oh yeah.

Mike

P.S. did I mention how quite it is, just listen to that.

:huh: Where are you? I'm on my way :tongue: