Hi all, new to forum

Scozzie

Hi all,

We had our visa's granted in January, and the only thing stopping us is getting this house sold. I feel like I'm going completely out of my mind!! Everything was sorted and we had 'decided' we were going to Victoria, to Geelong!! and now.............

Im not sure what's going on with me, but having major doubts and for some reason I can't get adelaide out of my head. So have started doing some research on the suburbs out of the cbd and good places for us to settle, with 2 kids (7 and 5). I think 'wanted down under' is to blame and I know its crap, but Adelaide looked gorgeous and apparently house prices are that bit less?!!

Not sure what advise Im looking for, but any HELP would be much appreciated, anyone been to both (we've been to neither) and could steer me in the right direction?!

Is there any nurses working there just now, Im hoping to get a community job, cos not been in the hospitals since '99 and my husband is in IT, are the wages there higher/comparable to Victoria??

Anyway, rant over

Gill:wacko:

Hi Gill, welcome to PIA! Rest assured, this is the place to come if you want information on Adelaide. There are quite a few nurses on this forum I believe, Trakki and Andy and Lindsey, they should be able to help you on that front. As regards housing, check out www.realestate.com.au and for information about Adelaide in general try www.adelaidebound.com. We've been here since July 07 and I can tell you that whilst Adelaide house prices are still much lower than the rest of Australia, they're starting to climb quite a bit. There's plenty to do here for young families, the beaches are fantastic and there are lots of parks etc. I've never been to Geelong I'm afraid so I can't do a comparison!

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide and if you've still got more questions, ask away!:jiggy:

Guest ffi&dyl

Hi Gill

We are in the same boat as you. Our visas were granted 1st of Feb now all we need to do is sell the house. I'm not a nurse and have never been to Adelaide, but there is always someone with the answers on this forum.

Welcome and good luck.

Ffion, Dylan & kids

hello and welcome :wubclub:

fingers crossed on your housesale!!! - ours has gone up today!!!!

i saw you've got some pointers already and i am sure more answers will come along soon.

not from me though ;) - haven't been to oz at all and i am not nurse!

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies........... as I said we had planned on Geelong and don't know if its the 'jitters' kicking in, but im having doubts now!! Has anyone got to this stage and had the same doubts!!

Feel like living in limbo just now, just want the house sold so we can go......... my god, wherever that may be??!! My husband is cracking up at me cos im all over the place !!!

:unsure:

So what made all you guys decide on Adelaide?

Oh and Ffion, my wee boy is Fionn!! Lovely name

Cheers again guys for the replies

Gillx

Guest louiesmum

Hi Gill Jamie

welcome to PIA!! I too am a community staff nurse here in UK, & am hoping to get similar work in Oz!! Good luck!!

We've sold our house (fingers crossed) but I know what you mean, I just want to go, I've been a bit unbearable to live with recently!! What to pack etc, the exchange rate dropping at a rate of knots!! I could go on! Today's another day & hey I'm sure all our feelings like this are natural!!

Good luck

Guest louiesmum

Hi

I work in Kent, Bexley, I work Out of Hours (staff nurse) at mo since my children came along. I also love my job. keep us posted on how you are going! We hope to be there by April!! Hopefully this is not wishful thinking!!

Hi Gill,

Tracey would also love a community job in Oz but doubts whether such a role exists. She did a community role in Lincoln but now is back on the wards in Doncaster. Andy and Lindsey might be best to answer this as they are already out there.

Pete

I've seen quite a few community jobs advertised in Adelaide, but I guess like everywhere else they employ the ones who know the areas, etc or who are known to them. I remember in Glasgow them interviewing people when the jobs where already taken by staff, so they are highly sought after, but not impossible!!!

I could not go back to ward work, especially with having the kids and doing shift work, I used to cry on night shifts!!!!!! Pathetic I know, but I ate all night and couldnt sleep all day.

I work Mon-Frid just now in NZ and hopefully the same in OZ. Theres also other options out of the health service (where I am just now), but gona take a while to get to know the OZ eqiv, cos although close not at all like NZ.

gill

Guest louiesmum

I work Mon-Frid just now in NZ and hopefully the same in OZ. Theres also other options out of the health service (where I am just now), but gona take a while to get to know the OZ eqiv, cos although close not at all like NZ.

gill

Hi Gill

What sort of nursing/job do you do now? How long have you been in NZ? I also wouldn't envey going back to hosp, I've been in community since '97. I've also been told there are community jobs out there, so fingers crossed.:wubclub:

Hi louiesmum,

We've been in NZ for a year and 8 months, but knew pretty soon we couldn't settle here long term, so applied for OZ residency. Its very hard to survive here and the wages are very low (OZ is better than here, tho still lower than the UK), and the house prices are rocketing.

Just now i do assessments on over 65 year olds who live at home and basically plan a programme of care, I have around 25 support workers, who work towards achieving goals and restoring independence with them........ blah, blah...... Its a private organisation though we are paid by the health boards, etc Theres loads of work in jobs like this and mostly its monday-friday and an on-call rota system. When I first came here I worked as a public health nurse, kinda like DN/HV/school nurse rolled into one!! But it was a very small community and I learnt tons.

The thought of going back to hospital work does not appeal at all, but I guess i could do agency for a while to get established??!! Though rather not!! Im sure ul get a community job with over 10 years experience. Good luck x

Guest Rob and Clare
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies........... as I said we had planned on Geelong and don't know if its the 'jitters' kicking in, but im having doubts now!! Has anyone got to this stage and had the same doubts!!

Feel like living in limbo just now, just want the house sold so we can go......... my god, wherever that may be??!! My husband is cracking up at me cos im all over the place !!!

:unsure:

So what made all you guys decide on Adelaide?

Oh and Ffion, my wee boy is Fionn!! Lovely name

Cheers again guys for the replies

Gillx

Hi,

I've heard some good things about Geelong and a couple not so good, but i think that is true of everywhere. We were looking at melbourne originally, which whilst it is a fantastic metropolitan city, the 5 days we spent there during a holiday in a February it was cold and wet every day, we then drove to Adelaide and the weather was fantastic I know this is the shallowist of reasons but I didn't want to come the other side of the world and to feel cold in summer. The reality is the weather is up and down here in Adelaide too (some hot days and some cool, but mainly warm and sunny), and this is a little warmer than Melbourne and Melbourne is a little warmer than Geelong.

Looking back i am sure we made the best decision, Adelaide is a great city, but still quite small and easy to get round. It has nearly everything the other major cities have, and flight prices are coming down all the time, there was a 1c sale last night with Jetstar, so if you want to visit other places it's getting better.

The wages are a bit lower in Adelaide compared to other cities, but I think Geelong is in a similar position, both places have automotive firms which pay a bit more, but once your husband get's his citizenship then defence work pays a bit more again.... and Adelaide is the defence hub of the country. Or there is always mining which is the best of the lot.

As to which is the best, then that's down to you guys and what you want...