Moving to Victor Harbor soon - any advice welcome

Guest Gmulv

Guest Gmulv

Hi there,

I have just joined the forum. I have just had conformation that I should be moving to Victor Harbor in August of this year. I have just secured a job also.

Now I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of Victor Harbor and Adelaide.

Now I'm 31 and coming on my own. I love sports - especially rugby (I play currently for my local town), surfing, fishing and I love the coast (hence Victor Harbor - actually was dictated by the attractive job offer)

Can anyone advise me what the quality of life is like - but more importantly the social aspect of things as I am a very sociable person and would like to make some friends asap!!

I have researched a lot over the last few months but there is no substitute for advice from people who are actually there!

I'm really excited about moving as this has been a lifetime ambition of mine!

Thanks

Graham

Guest SA Great

Hi Graham,

Victor is regarded here as a bit of a retirement village. It has quite an old population but is a very nice place. Not sure how much of a party animal you are but you may find it a bit quiet there if you like to go out every night! Most of the nightlife in Adelaide is centred around the city centre but everyone is different!

Good luck with the move

Guest Gmulv

Hi there,

thanks for that - I guess I'm only just over an hour from there - I do need to be based in Victor though for when I'm on call. I'm not a massive party animal - in all honesty I prefer going out for a meal and maybe to a bar or 2!! Good company is the most important thing!!

G

Guest yogi64

Some good bars in the area, with good food, very busy place in the summer, quieter in the winter months but there's a lot of nice coast line down that way to keep you occupied, also the whales that come in close to shore.

There are a lot of nice driving roads in the area, so if you do import that M3 :wink:

Mike

Guest Gmulv

hmmm, driving roads sounds good. In all honesty I'm a bit of a petrol head..... I'll see how selling the car goes and then make a decision on whether to import. Also will have to get a motor bike as well!! I did have my eyes on a nice Nissan GTR but they seem rather expensive over there - may need to rethink that one!!

Bars and good food sounds great to me, just hope there are a few people my age as well and I'll be happy....In all honest it looks like a great place to be

G

Guest moonraker1959

Hi,I will agree with other posters,Victor is a very nice place but a tad bit quiet,especially in winter.My older sister lives down there and the affectionate name the locals call Victor is "Gods waiting room!lol We were there in Autumn,and to say it was quiet was an understatement.We decided to head out into the town for a few beers?Looked like a ghost town to be honest.Found one pub with a couple of locals in to yack to,went to another pub,to be told "Sorry we're not serving,we're closing now"and it was 10pm!!!During summer though the place is heaving,and has a good vibe.Lots of great beaches around if thats your thing,good fishing,surfing ect.Not too far away from the big smoke!Good luck with your move,whats the job you've got?

Guest Shines

Hi Graham,

I have lived in victor since arriving in Australia 18 months ago and have loved every minute the fishing is good as well as the surfing.There are a few poms living in victor we usually play golf and have a few beers on a friday afternoon or take the boat out.The only downside is victor gets very busy in the summer and in the school holidays,if you need to need to sort out anything major ie medicare etc you have to go to Norlunga which is about 40 minutes away

I commute to Adelaide everyday which takes about 1 hour 10 but it is worth it to bring my kids up in such a great place.

If you need any more info would be pleased to help

Kieran

Guest JayandEm

Hi ya graham, myself and oh live 15km from victor, in goolwa, we're 38 and 41 but young at heart!! We've been here for over nine months now and love it. I agree with the comment about night life, its not exactly hip and happening but there are a couple of okay pubs and port Elliot on a Friday night is pretty good. We do find though that we tend to go to friends houses for bbq and drinking as the friends we have made don't really go to the pub. I think its a stunning area to live and we feel very fortunate that we were able to find secure jobs here. Let me know if you have any questions and give us shout when your heading over and if you like we can meet up for a few beers. Emma and jay

Guest Gmulv

Hi there,

thanks for the replies. It all sounds pretty good, I love fishing and surfing (although need to learn to do this properly)! In response to my job, I'm a GP and will be working in Norfolk House Surgery in Victor come August - assuming all my paperwork goes through as expected.

I'm more into going for BBQ and a few beers that going out for a big night. As long as I can meet people is all I'm bothered about. Going out on the boat fishing sounds amazing. I've always wanted a jetski and a boat - but I think one step at a time and maybe one day!!

I'm getting more and more excited the closed to August it gets!!

G