In need of advice

Guest BAZnDAF

Guest BAZnDAF

Hi everyone,

We are new to the site and have browsed many of the threads, there is a lot of information on here, thanks to all the people who have contributed, have learnt more from this forum in the last few hours than we have over the last few weeks browsing others.

We would like to emigrate to Adelaide, I am in IT currently as an analyst programmer (applications programmer), so my skills are on the MODL list. The problem we have is where the hell do we start??? I have read so much, different types of visas, using an agent, etc... It all just contributes to the confusion.

We would like to have a residency visa and be able to settle in Adelaide. There seems so many things to do but in what order are we supposed to do them?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Barry & Daphne

Guest caoimhe

Hi Barry and Daphne

Welcome to PIA

We didn't know were to start so went with an agent but everyone is different. I think your first move is to get your skills assessed that was our agents frist move with us. My OH is an IT hardware engineer so he had to get assessed by Trade Recognition Australia so don't know if you will be the same.

Some agents do a free consultation so maybe you could and find out from them.

Sorry if not much help but I'm sure someone will reply as I know a lot have gone it alone

Good luck

Guest Nicky&Andy

:jiggy:hi , were pretty new to the site too, there are so many different visa's to go for , and to be honest i dont really understand all of them, personally we went through an agent who advised us to go for a 136 skilled visa, which with four kids would make the most sense, the first step was a TRA , without this you cant go on to apply for the visa, once passed, you apply ,get a case officer , then meds & police checks. then hopefully the say yes and you get your visa, it sounds so ssimple(i wish) bear in mind we started in April 2007, good luck with the process:D

Guest banjo70

Hi and Welcome,

First of all IT skllis are on the MODL, but as has already been said you'll need a skills assessment with whatever visa you choose. For an Analyst Programmer you'll need to be assessed by the Australian Computer Society (ACS).

http://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?action=show&conID=skillassessment

If you pass this you'll be a long way down the road.

If you have not already found it look at the Australian Gov. Immiraion website for the Visa options.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/index.htm

Guest BAZnDAF

Dear All,

What lovely people you all are. Thank you so much for your replies & advice. My wife is also hoping to find work in Adelaide as a Credit Controller, does she have to apply separately to work out there or is it purely just me who applies?

So much to think about, job, house, car(s) etc. Need to sell our house..........et al

:arghh:

Barry

Guest banjo70

Hi Baz,

Your wife can come along on your application. You'll only need her skills assessed if you need extra points to get the visa you're after.

The best advice I can offer is speak with a few Migration Agents - they want you business so most offer a free initial chat. They should explain all your options and give you some extra info.

hello and welcome!

i would agree first decide on which visa.

i'd say the 136 i think 175 now? is the most desirable. so see if you have the relevant points and take it from there. if not see if you gain more points one or another way. if absolutly not check the next visa desirable for you ....

don't know about the current skills assessment process (all new since sept) but once you know what to ask just do like that: ask!

good luck!

Hi Baz,

Welcome to the minefield.:biglaugh:

The first thing you need to do is a point score http://www.axismigration.com.au/points.htm

This point score will determine which type of visa you can apply for. As you are aware there are loads. The best ones to go for are permanant visas and Independant ones.

As a permanant resident you will be entitled to benefits that a temporary visa holder will not be. An independant visa holder is not tied to a sponsor and can pick and choose where they work. Therefore a subclass 175 is the one to aim at as it is both independant and permanant.

Here is a useful link to find the visas and what is required to gain them. http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/visa-options-outside.htm

Hope this helps a little

Pete

Guest BAZnDAF

Hi all,

I have now contacted an agent on advice, and they claim to call me within 48hrs so i guess the first step has been taken.

Thank again for the advice, i will be checking out all those web links.

Thanks again, very appreciated.

Barry