Moving to Adelaide

Guest MrAndrew

Guest MrAndrew

Morning, we are Brits (From the North East of England) who emigrated to the North Island in New Zealand 10 years ago and we are now underwhelmed by the culture and work ethic in New Zealand. My wife is a nurse and I have my own financial planning business. We have 2 boys 1 who will be looking to go to University and the other (13) who is soccer/sports mad.

People tell me that Adelaide has an ageing population, gets a lot of rain and it is susceptible to downturns, I just wanted to know from your members what their thoughts were?

I would have thought that with being a nurse I couldn’t see a problem getting work for my wife but we will probably get a job confirmed before we go. The issue would probably be getting myself a job.

Adelaide looks as if it ticks all the boxes regarding housing, lifestyle etc but as this maybe our last big move its needs to be the right one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi - not sure who told you about Adelaide's rain - I believe South Australia has a reputation of being the driest state in the driest country in the world! Admittedly we have come out of drought now, but the locals still drive me mad when it does rain by saying "Oh, we need it!"

I think it's a great place to bring up a family - and we have three excellent universities in town if your sons decide to get their further education locally. Admittedly it's not a bright lights, lively nightlife type of place so quite a few older kids leave the state once they've finished their schooling, and head either interstate or overseas, but what I have noticed is a lot then gravitate back to sleepy Adelaide when they have kids of their own, which to me says a lot about the atmosphere of the place!

Anyway, welcome to the site, and feel free to have a browse around and explore and get to know the forum. If you can afford to, it's probably worth booking a holiday over to Adelaide to have a look round for yourself but in the meantime, plenty of people here to give you the benefit of their advice and views!

Guest MrAndrew

Thanks for that, doing a tiki tour is certainly on our agenda. We have properties and a business to sell first but we are definitely very keen. Being a typical "northerner" are there some descent pubs/Indian restaurants in the city as with all due resspect to kiwis they tend to cater towards the kiwis very bland taste buds.

Hi - not sure who told you about Adelaide's rain - I believe South Australia has a reputation of being the driest state in the driest country in the world! Admittedly we have come out of drought now, but the locals still drive me mad when it does rain by saying "Oh, we need it!"

!

SA is the driest state but that covers a lot of ground - mostly desert. Adelaide itself has similar average rainfall in winter to much of the UK (and far more than many parts of the Med). Got to say it's far wetter here than I'd ever have thought before making the move!

Jim