Newbie asking for advice

Guest tom n marie

Guest tom n marie

Hi all, new to pia, been reading many posts and decided to get involoved. Visa completed (after 3 yrs!!) and planning to leave UK and arrive in Adelaide late June. looking for any helpful tips on areas as looking to rent to begin with but hard to judge areas on reviews alone as some are a couple of years old. Any advice?? Also OH does Industrial roofing and cladding (metal roof plumber in Oz terms) currently in UK and will be continuing this in Oz due to having state sponsorship anybody know any companies as no job to go to yet. Won't know anyone on arrival so hopefully will meet people Any feedback appreciatedthanks in advance marie:notworthy:

Tom 31, Marie 30, Thomas 7, Jake 6

Edited by tom n marie

Guest Dennic

Hi Tom & Marie,

Welcome! I don't know anything about the jobs your asking about but I have also been looking at areas a lot, I have never been to OZ so all a bit strange to me but I did come across one web site that I find good http://www.cityhobo.com it helps work out where you want to go, we need to be 30min drive from the city for work (OH painter & decorator) but a walk away from the beach & schools for the 3 boys. We have decided to start renting in Grange hopefully this November!

Hope this helps

Denni :wink:

Guest yogi64

We live an hour from the CBD, in the sticks as some people put it but we also have large blocks, open spaces and a great community sprit, just now I know there are jobs for roofers in the area but that will change by the time you get here, if you don't mind living away from the "big Smoke" and working for a small business than there are jobs out there.

Mike

Hi, 3 years to get the visa, that sounds nice and painful, thought ours was bad at 2. As to which suburbs to live in? The advice has to be, worry about that when you get here. Most people take on a short term holiday rental when arriving. Your much better off traveling around once here, and making up your own mind. We wanted to be near the beach and city, so we chose Findon. Suburb depends on personal pref. Briefly, West gives you beach and city, East gives you parks, trees and easier access to the hills/country and city, South has most scenic beaches and sense of space (at least on coast) loads of poms Brighton-Hallet Cove way. Most suburbs have good and bad bits, is very much new build next to run down here, so you need to be here. Noticed Dennic had posted they are going for Grange, we had holiday rental there and loved it, but its expensive to rent there and limited rentals, so we jumped city ward slightly. Lastly one tip springs to mind, avoid staying on main roads, no double glazing here, and although people say Adelaide is quiet its not, lots of traffic movement and numptys with loud exhausts. Good luck.

Guest yogi64
Briefly, West gives you beach and city, East gives you parks, trees and easier access to the hills/country and city, South has most scenic beaches and sense of space (at least on coast)

Bugger, no North, must have fallen off the map! :biglaugh:

Mike

OH does Industrial roofing and cladding (metal roof plumber in Oz terms) currently in UK and will be continuing this in Oz due to having state sponsorship

Hi, just a point about the above: if your OH wants to keep working in the same occupation, fine, but having state sponsorship doesn't restrict him in any way from doing other jobs. Many people either choose something different once here or find that lack of opportunity means they have to try their hand at something else.

Jim

The poms in the North are too busy having fun. They don't have time to go on the net. They go to coffee, have lunch, explore the scenerey etc

Don't be fooled by the uneducated, the North is the best area by far (unless you want the beach). It's when you go out of Adelaide and hit Elizabeth(ish) further North it goes downhill.

House prices in the North are more expensive than the south, I guess there is a reason for it.

The poms in the North are too busy having fun. They don't have time to go on the net. They go to coffee, have lunch, explore the scenerey etc

Don't be fooled by the uneducated, the North is the best area by far (unless you want the beach). It's when you go out of Adelaide and hit Elizabeth(ish) further North it goes downhill.

House prices in the North are more expensive than the south, I guess there is a reason for it.

Actually, it's only a couple of suburbs in and around Elizabeth that let the side down - there are some lovely places further north, and to the north east of there. Head towards the Barossa and Gawler and you have lovely communities, fantastic scenery, large plots, plenty of work, great food and wine to die for of course. It's the same all around Adelaide though - there are a few Western suburbs and a few Southern suburbs that are not as lovely as the rest too!

Other than that though, I agree with you!

Guest tom n marie

Thanks everyone, very helpful. Been looking at magill, murray bridge, paradise, gawler anyone know anything about these areas? Dont mind commuting as hubby will always be travelling anyway. Just need to close to school and hourish to a beach (dont we all!!). I'm currently a housewife but will be looking for something p/t that hopefully fits around everyone else. Is their many after school/breakfast clubs and such?

Marie

• 5 months later...
Guest Guest75

Tsssk! Tssk!! Same comments here!!!:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

So defensive!!!

Tsssk! Tssk!! Same comments here!!!:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

So defensive!!!

One if the problems for those of us not further south is there are so many people on here living down there that when ever anyone asks for advice on where to live all they get is how great it is down south. I'm sure it is but it's also really nice over in the west, and if you aren't bothered by the beach then it's nice in the east and north east as well. I'm less convinced by the north (except North Adelaide where I'd love to be able to afford to live), or at least the northern suburbs I've been through anyway. Most of the posts I've read from people living in the southern suburbs seem to fail to acknowledge that there are other places to live that can be just as nice. This is why people elsewhere get defensive.

By the way, you are all wrong and the best place to live in Adelaide is Rostrevor :jiggy: