Hi to all,finally signed up

Guest The Hadleys

Guest The Hadleys

I have been a daily visitor to this site and find it really informative and quite addictive.

Hope we can offer some input.The number of users seems to be growing.

We started the visa process jan 07.We finally got a case officer on the 29th of Jan 08.We had our medicals last week so i am hoping were on the last leg.I have applied for a 136 Skilled independent visa,I am a self employed Air Conditioning engineer and would hope to be booking one way flights to Adelaide in August. Went on a 3 week reccie in November 07 and to catch up with my relatives who were £10 poms {40 years ago**.

I will be on PIA before breakfast as usual.

Guest Nicky&Andy

:jiggy:Hi the Hadleys, your pretty much at the same place as us, we hope to go asap any time After august depending on the sale of our house !! i dont think us poms will need jumpers, im sure for the first ausi winter we experience will be like our summer, (it was -3 yesterday, ) joking aside some one else said it gets cold in aus winter time, espically at night, abit hard to imagine(hope to find out soon:D

Guest helena bishop

hello all,

just signed up hoping to move to adelaide later this year glad to known there are so many brits already out there. Hope the move goes well for you

helena

west midlands

Guest Libby1971

Welcome to PIA, sorry it took me a while!

The site is getting much larger...which is only a testament to how good and useful it is. We also came on the 136 PR visa. I was the main applicant.

We arrived in Autumn thinking it would allow us to get used to the weather here before getting to the summer - toally useless. There is very little that can be done to prepare you for 40+ degrees. That's where your occupation will be very handy- everyone spends the winter making sure their air con works as no-one wants to get to the summer and have it conk out on them!

I packed my winter coat in the shipping thinking it wouldn't be needed much and probably not at all unless I came back to the UK. Other people I know gave their winter coats away or sold them. Big mistake. It isn't as cold as the UK you are right but it is cold in comparison to the rest of the year and you do feel it, especially in the hills.

Good luck on the journey.

Libby :jiggy:

Guest helena bishop

Thanks for the reply

Not sure what you mean about my occupation being usefull for the air con i am a nurse but nevermind. Where abouts in adelaide are you? are there any suburbs you would reccomend to live we have a three year old child and need to be close to schools etc. would greatly appreciate your opinion on this thanks libby

helena and family

Welcome to PIA, sorry it took me a while!

The site is getting much larger...which is only a testament to how good and useful it is. We also came on the 136 PR visa. I was the main applicant.

We arrived in Autumn thinking it would allow us to get used to the weather here before getting to the summer - toally useless. There is very little that can be done to prepare you for 40+ degrees. That's where your occupation will be very handy- everyone spends the winter making sure their air con works as no-one wants to get to the summer and have it conk out on them! is

I packed my winter coat in the shipping thinking it wouldn't be needed much and probably not at all unless I came back to the UK. Other people I know gave their winter coats away or sold them. Big mistake. It isn't as cold as the UK you are right but it is cold in comparison to the rest of the year and you do feel it, especially in the hills.

Good luck on the journey.

Libby :jiggy:

Thanks for the reply

Not sure what you mean about my occupation being usefull for the air con i am a nurse but nevermind.

Hi Helena,

Libby was replying to 'The Hadleys' as this is her thread.

Welcome to PIA. My other 'arf is a nurse. There seems to be a bit of a craze at the mo for nurses on here.;) Mind you with the way the NHS are treating you lot its no wonder. Good luck with your visa.

Pete

Guest Libby1971

Thank you Mr Django for explaining...:notworthy:

Suburbs? Well, as a little birdie says, what is one man's meat is another man's poison. I like suburbs which are:

close to public transport - I don't drive yet,

near shops but not so close that I can see them,

I don't like hills - pointless exercise, why bother?

near to schools - so my kids can walk to school and I can find work

quiet, family areas where amenities are suitable for girls in their teens. If my girls were younger, the proximity of playgroups would have been of more interest to me or nurseries or playgrounds etc.

That being said, the area around here has all of these (O'Halloran Hill, Woodcroft, Happy Valley, Reynella East, Oknaparinga Hills, Aberfoyle Park etc etc).

We came south but could just as easily have headed north. Salisburymassive posts on her about life in the north suburbs - there have been quite a few threads started here recently about this topic.

Libby

Guest helena bishop

thanks for the info Libby

south is where we have been looking and have looked at some of the suburbs you have listed. We have a friend in eden hills and have been looking there and surrounding areas.

thanks helena

Where does your wife work? Do you think you made the right decision moving to ozz??

Tracey (Trakki on here) works in Doncaster, South Yorkshire so not there yet. Even so we believe we are doing the right thing going downunder.:D

Pete