Just starting-need help already:-P

Guest Sharon & Mark

Guest Sharon & Mark

Hello there!

We are just starting out on our journey to emigrate to Adelaide.....We have been wanting to make the move for some time, but family events determined otherwise.

Please could someone advise me on a good company to aid us with our move...been looking at some sites but a personnel recommendation would be valuable.

I am in the third year of my Occupational Therapy degree and my husband Mark is an eletrician.....We have three daughters, aged 17; 16 & 15. We would love to live within easy reach of the city but also love the beach life.....Which suburbs would you recommend....

Thanks loads

Sharonx:)

Guest Libby1971

Hi

Welcome to PIA. We of course will try to help.

Have a look through the sections of the site to see what people have said about other suburbs. ALOT have been metioned at one time or another and familiarising yourself with what other people have said will be useful.

Also it depends on which area you want to work in and how long a drive you want, what facilities you want for your children as to what is useful. We were dead set on Aldinga or Willunga from the UK but when we got here and had a look, we found it wasn't quite what we were looking for. You really can't make a decision until you have seen for yourself.

There are ALOT of PIA members who live south of the city. Salisburymassive can give you alot of advice on the northern regions. Roo1, Guzzler&Sas, Liz Monaghan, Nick11, angelashaw, Donna T, Sarahsmartiepants, Tyke, Donna, myself and many others can all tell you about what we have found the southern suburbs to be like. That doesn't mean that you have to listen to a single thing we say mind you!!!!

Also take a look at www.adelaidebound.com. It was started by Lisa, a member of PIA to make available the huge amount fo research she had done on Adelaide. Really good stuff so have a good read.

We used Ian Harrop as a migration agent. We rang them initally and they gave us advice for free over the phone on our options and we went with them a couple of weeks later. They were great. Other people have used GoMatilda and I can't remember the names of other companies but hang on and someone will post their info.

Take a look, make some phone calls from the UK to diff companies. And if we can help you furhter we will do.

Libby

hello sharon and welcome to pia :wubclub:

since adelaide is your destination have a look here www.adelaidebound.com - that should give you lots of answers.

in regards to your 'move': do you mean shippers or move to oz in general. so where to start off really and you are looking for an agent?!

we've used Go Matilda who were great so far! but might be worth having a good read and maybe you feel comfortable enough to do it yourselves?!

and areas: that's such a personal view really. it all depends on where you can see yourself living. like in the city, at the beach, in the hills, close to the wineyards - then obviously what you can afford, where your work will be, schools, ...

have a look on google earth to give an idea of how things look like!

good luck and ask away!

Hi Sharon,

Welcome to the boards,

Just to add to what the others have said have a look at http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration.htm it will give you all in the info you need to get a visa and will also explain the different types. I also use the aussie google so I get pages only from Oz when I search for something http://www.google.com.au/

Have fun and I wouldn't hang about due to the age of your daughters (does Mark ever get into the bathroom?):biglaugh: as you have to prove they are dependents. The older they get the harder this will prove to be.

Good luck

Pete

Guest deborah

Hi Sharon,

I am an Occupational Therapist so it is nice to hear from a fellow green trouser brigade.

Where abouts are you studying?

I have just started my skills assessment as i am the main applicant and it is quite straight forward.

I need to do it anyway to enable me to work as an o.t. in OZ.

I currently work in the community but i am not sure what the job availibility is like out there for O.T.s i may have to go back to basics!!

My other half is an engineer and we have 2 small daughters.

Debs

Guest Sharon & Mark

Hi All

Thanks for all your responses.....they have been extremely helpful. Got plenty to do to start us on our way.

Great site....great people!

Sure to be needing more help and advice soon

Thanks loads

Sharon x

Guest Sharon & Mark
Hi Sharon,

I am an Occupational Therapist so it is nice to hear from a fellow green trouser brigade.

Where abouts are you studying?

I have just started my skills assessment as i am the main applicant and it is quite straight forward.

I need to do it anyway to enable me to work as an o.t. in OZ.

I currently work in the community but i am not sure what the job availibility is like out there for O.T.s i may have to go back to basics!!

My other half is an engineer and we have 2 small daughters.

Debs

Hiya Debs,

I am studying in Cardiff....my husband Mark is the main applicant (he is an electrician) so will be doing all the hard work.

I am currently working as a TI in a stroke unit.

Hope everthing goes well for yourself and your family

Sharon:D

Guest deborah

:o

Hiya Debs,

I am studying in Cardiff....my husband Mark is the main applicant (he is an electrician) so will be doing all the hard work.

I am currently working as a TI in a stroke unit.

Hope everthing goes well for yourself and your family

Sharon:D

My friends graduated from Cardiff it is a good course.

Keep in touch re your progress as i have found out quite a lot about O.T. for us and may be able to offer some help.

Debs

Guest harrison family

Hi Sharon,

We have just started the process of emmigrating. My sister went to Adelaide in November last year and she recomended Global Visas. We are now using them and thay have been so good letting us know absolutley everything. ( I am always thinking of a new question to ask).

We have 2 daughters 16 & 12. My sister lives in Seaview Downs which she really loves, I can't say untill we come back from our reccie in April. I will hopefully be able to answer some more questions then.

good luck,

Sallie

Guest Racht70

Hi there Sharon just wanted to say hi im quite a newbie here too, what i did was download google earth program its fantastic it cant give you anwers as to what its like living in Adelaide but least you can get some perspective of where poeple are talking about its tells you where all the suburbs are also schools shops pubs .....the list goes on.What i do is find a suburb approx where if like to be then go on realestate.au and have a look at house prices! I really should be getting on with my dissatation for i too am in my last year of a degree (social Science)...:arghh:.Anyway again welcome to PIA its so lovely here.:)