trouble securing a rental

Guest Dudley

Guest Dudley

Hi , Im Luke, 23 from bournemouth, i have a skilled migration visa and im looking to rent a house around christies beach, i have been emailing estate agents around the area and they say that I have to view the property to be able to apply for it. i wanted to be able to secure a place whilst still in the uk so i can move straight into somewhere, has any one else had this problem and how might i be able to get around it ????? Luke

Its not usually the way they do things. Your best bet is to take a short term fully furnished rental for a few weeks and then view some rental properties once there and try to snag one.

They like you to view the property in person usually and tbh, if they have plenty of people attending viewings and applying, why are they going to bother doing the extra legwork for someone who is still in the UK.

Once you are on the ground in Adelaide you should find it much more straightforward to secure something a bit more long term.

Also don't forget, you really should see a property in person and be sure you like the area/street etc, that is isn't a hole (honestly, many look way better in pics as they can use old ones or nothing like the pics when you see them) and you'd be stuck and tied into a rental agreement for an awful house and no easy way to change that. Far better to wait till you are there and can make sure you find the right property for you.

We have a number of members on here who have short term rentals etc. Have a check in Recommendations and so on.

We had the same problem when moving here 5 years ago.

Most of the agents don't even bother to reply.

Goood advice above....it's best to view the property as there are some real shockers! Many suburbs also have some undesirable roads and it's a good idea to have a look at your future neighbours to see what they are like.

The long term unfurnished rental process can be quite competitive. Houses are advertised as being on "an open". This may be a 30 minute period on an afternoon and it lets prospective renters view the property and collect an application form if they are interested. Many agents will not consider renting to people who do not have 100 points of id so it's best to get that done as soon as you get here (drivers licence, medicare card, bank card etc).

There are plenty of estate agents in Beach Road, Christies Beach ( Timms, L J Hooker, Brock, Professionals, Ray White) and once you are here you can enquire with them all very quickly.

Tamara

Guest Dudley

thanks for your advice I will look through recommendations and see if there is anything.

Looking on your homes down under website there are some great properties !! but shame you seem fully booked up for the next few months !

Guest guest7008
Hi , Im Luke, 23 from bournemouth, i have a skilled migration visa and im looking to rent a house around christies beach, i have been emailing estate agents around the area and they say that I have to view the property to be able to apply for it. i wanted to be able to secure a place whilst still in the uk so i can move straight into somewhere, has any one else had this problem and how might i be able to get around it ????? Luke

Hi - we just wanted to say Hi as we from Bournemouth originally :biglaugh:

As others have said, be easier to find a place once you here, just get a holiday rental for a couple weeks and then you can check out areas etc as they are nothing like what you think they are!!

Also look on Gumtree.com.au for rentals a they have some advertised on there which opens up a few more options!!

Good luck

The Rimmers

Another possible option would be to take a look at the Christies Beach caravan park - not sure off the overall cost but they have self- contained cabins that should give you what you need, just until you get a rental - they won't be as luxurious as a fully furnished rental, I wouldn't have thought, but it maybe worth considering and checking out.

Guest Dudley

unfortunately i dont know anyone in adelaide yet who could view somewhere for me, i think the holiday rental will have to be done,

the reason for wanting to live in christies beach is because i am going to be living on my own and i want a dog, so im looking for a house thats not too expensive, hopefully il be able to find somewhere reasonable for me :) also i am a bricklayer and im just guessing but maybe il be able to find some work further south as i hear they are extending the rail line down that way, i figured they might be building houses that way too and christies is closer than glenelg or brighton .