Poms moving from Toowoomba QLD to Adelaide

Guest thebradleys

Guest thebradleys

Hi folks

We have been in OZ since 2009 and decided that QLD isnt for us and have shortlisted our move down to Adelaide!, I'm a panel beater by trade and have been offered several jobs over the phone, so we are ok on that score, would like any advice on good / bad areas to rent and bearing in mind we have children and we are looking to put our kids in private schooling there, so any idea of school fees would be helpfull (have checked out various school websites but no info on fess)!

Cheers

Chris and Joanne

from Eastbourne East Sussex

Hi and welcome to the site - soon to be welcome to Adelaide!

Whereabouts are the jobs you have been offered, and how old are your children? Are you looking for a school that is particularly academic, or one that has good sports or arts/music facilities, and are you looking for single sex or mixed schools?

Private school fees vary a lot depending on what you are looking for - the religion-based ones tend to be a little cheaper than the non-religious ones: but your kids don't have to be religious to attend a religion-based school - mine definitely aren't and they are at a jesuit-run school. Probably the "best" private schools (i.e. those where people like politicians and very well-paid people send their offspring, in other words the most expensive) are places like St Peters in the city (boys) and Prince Alfred College (also boys I think), Scotch College (mixed) and Pembroke (mixed), but there are loads more. There is a site here which will give you links and info on some: http://www.ais.sa.edu.au/about-our-schools/search-our-schools and one for Catholic schools here http://www.adelaide.catholic.org.au/sites/CatholicEducationOfficesSA/our-schools/find-a-school or one here http://www.privateschoolsdirectory.com.au/adelaide-schools.php

Good luck with your move

Guest thebradleys

Hi Diane

Thanks for the quick reply. We have two girls 6 and 13, ideally would like to get in same (combined) school and Catholic but we will have to see whats available, we have sent off for some prospectus forms but i will be contacting some more schools later next wk but its also very helpfull to have someone on the ground who may be able to give us some good pointers. The jobs I've been offered are all fairly central and Joanne will problably be working in CBD - she's a PA. and we both drive so should be too hard to coordinate the job locations with the schools. I will check out the links youve posted

Many thanks again

PS , whats it like to live in Adelaide??, weve googled it to death but you can only extract so much info from there!

Guest smit

Have you ever been to Adelaide?, it comes across as no.. I would have thought , or would suggest, that a trip to Adelaide to see for yourself would be a sensible move before uprooting family again. After all Brisbane isnt that far away compared to your original move over.

btw .I know Eastbourne well

Guest thebradleys

Hi Smit

thanks for the mail, I think the cost of getting us all down there would be prohibitively expensive so we will research as much as is possible and i will come down and set up base so hopefully making the move for the rest of family easier!

Have you ever been to Adelaide?, it comes across as no.. I would have thought , or would suggest, that a trip to Adelaide to see for yourself would be a sensible move before uprooting family again. After all Brisbane isnt that far away compared to your original move over.

btw .I know Eastbourne well

Guest smit

None of my business , but if your looking at private school fees, $5/600 for one person to spend a few days in Adelaide wouldnt seem prohibitive to me. Eveyones different tho

Hi all, if you are looking for a central school to accommodate both your girls, there are three in the CBD.

St Aloysius College fees range from approx $4000 at rec to $8000 in yr 12.

St Mary's College fees range from approx $3500 to $6500 in yr 12

Pulteney Grammar fees range from approx $12000 at rec to $19000 in yr 12. This school is coed.

Emmaus Christian College in Sth Plympton fees range from approx $3500 in rec to $5500 in yr 12.

Walford Anglican Girls in Unley fees range from $11500 to $20000 in yr 12.

St Dominic's Priory in Nth Adelaide. fees range from approx $4000 - $6000.

These amounts include the extra bits that the schools charge on top of tuition.

Guest thebradleys
Hi all, if you are looking for a central school to accommodate both your girls, there are three in the CBD.

St Aloysius College fees range from approx $4000 at rec to $8000 in yr 12.

St Mary's College fees range from approx $3500 to $6500 in yr 12

Pulteney Grammar fees range from approx $12000 at rec to $19000 in yr 12. This school is coed.

Emmaus Christian College in Sth Plympton fees range from approx $3500 in rec to $5500 in yr 12.

Walford Anglican Girls in Unley fees range from $11500 to $20000 in yr 12.

St Dominic's Priory in Nth Adelaide. fees range from approx $4000 - $6000.

These amounts include the extra bits that the schools charge on top of tuition.

Excellent info, very helpful,

many thanks

Chris

Guest thebradleys
from Eastbourne East Sussex

Thats a lovely part of the UK. We came from Eastbourne too. Good Luck with your move to Adelaide :)

Hi Suzie

Thanks for the mail. when did you leave Eastbourne? we lived there for ten years prior to our big move in 09, we cant wait to be living coastal again and we like all those familiar names in Adelaide such as Brighton, Hove, Glynde, Firle etc!

Cheers

Chris