Whats its like living in Hallett Cove?

capers1

Hi

We are a family of 4 moving out to Adelaide in July. My husband has a job based in Noarlunga, and so we are looking at potential areas to live in . Hallett Cove seems to tick a lot of boxes, in terms of location, house prices and accessibility to the city. What i need is insider information on living in Hallett Cove. Is it a "everyone washes their car on a sunday" type of place?what are the schools like ? Are there certain areas to avoid? Any info would be gladly received Best Wishes Michelle xx:cool:

I've always been a city-side person (about 5kms from city) and all my family and friends live city side but I moved to Hallett Cove when I bought my first home as you get more for your dollar (compared to city). I continued to work in the city and that is one reason I decided to move back to the city-side. When I lived at HC I used to take my car to the train station and then take the express train to the city. It would take approximately 1 - 1.5 hours to get to work in the morning - taking into account the walking part I needed to do from the train station. In the evening in reverse I had to catch a particular train (express) to get back to the train station and if I missed that train then it took longer to get back. Mainly for me it was the public transport that was the issue and wanting to be able to drop in on my friends, family close by without having to "schedule" it in. My "friends/family" also didn't visit very much because it was out of their way also. So I quite missed that aspect. I didn't want to have to ring to see if they were home before I dropped in which is our usual way. That was the only reason I moved back city-side.

The area itself is beautiful. It is a hilly area - I used to ride my bike a lot and found that I had to get off and walk it at times (I'm no athlete!) and I had great seaviews from home and it just felt like I was on holiday on the drive home - and on the weekends - you would turn at a particular corner and you could see the ocean and large paddocks with sheep grazing. I used to take a breath and love it. At night all these twinkling lights. When I was there they didn't have the expanded Hallett Cove shopping centre but they do now and it helps cause it isn't far to drive to. The beach at Hallett Cove isn't really a swimming beach as it has a lot of pebbles and rocks but Brighton beach is quite close by and that is quite popular and is a lovely swimming beach. There are a few walking trails at the Hallett Cove Conservation area and you can see people flying kites nearby.

If you are working nearby at Noarlunga you will love it at Hallett Cove and especially if you make friends nearby (or have family nearby).

We have a few friends that live in Hallet Cove and are very happy.

It seems to be a very family friendly place to live - lots of palms trees in gardens and many many homes have beautiful sea views. The beach isnt sandy, its pebbly-ly - but there is a lovely coastal walk that you can go on that takes you all around the coast.......we have done that many times and theres a nice cafe on the beach too !

Sarahx

Hi

We absolutely love it, our neighbors are fantastic (Australians, New Zealanders, Irish, American, Chinese, Egyptian, South African) & although they call it 'little Britain' we haven't any pom neighbors. We're walking distance from the train station & have gorgeous sea views. My daughter attends the R12 school and settled in very quickly.

Tracey

I've always been a city-side person (about 5kms from city) and all my family and friends live city side but I moved to Hallett Cove when I bought my first home as you get more for your dollar (compared to city). I continued to work in the city and that is one reason I decided to move back to the city-side. When I lived at HC I used to take my car to the train station and then take the express train to the city. It would take approximately 1 - 1.5 hours to get to work in the morning - taking into account the walking part I needed to do from the train station. In the evening in reverse I had to catch a particular train (express) to get back to the train station and if I missed that train then it took longer to get back. Mainly for me it was the public transport that was the issue and wanting to be able to drop in on my friends, family close by without having to "schedule" it in. My "friends/family" also didn't visit very much because it was out of their way also. So I quite missed that aspect. I didn't want to have to ring to see if they were home before I dropped in which is our usual way. That was the only reason I moved back city-side.

The area itself is beautiful. It is a hilly area - I used to ride my bike a lot and found that I had to get off and walk it at times (I'm no athlete!) and I had great seaviews from home and it just felt like I was on holiday on the drive home - and on the weekends - you would turn at a particular corner and you could see the ocean and large paddocks with sheep grazing. I used to take a breath and love it. At night all these twinkling lights. When I was there they didn't have the expanded Hallett Cove shopping centre but they do now and it helps cause it isn't far to drive to. The beach at Hallett Cove isn't really a swimming beach as it has a lot of pebbles and rocks but Brighton beach is quite close by and that is quite popular and is a lovely swimming beach. There are a few walking trails at the Hallett Cove Conservation area and you can see people flying kites nearby.

If you are working nearby at Noarlunga you will love it at Hallett Cove and especially if you make friends nearby (or have family nearby).

Thanks Kris

I currently live in a very hilly area, so steepness appeals to me. I can understand why you chose to move back to the city, but it sounds like you enjoyed your time living in HC. We did travel over to Adelaide in January but you only get a snap shot of places when you are on holiday. I quite liked Christies Beach but have heard mixed views about it, and its further from the city. Best Wishes Michelle

Hi

We absolutely love it, our neighbors are fantastic (Australians, New Zealanders, Irish, American, Chinese, Egyptian, South African) & although they call it 'little Britain' we haven't any pom neighbors. We're walking distance from the train station & have gorgeous sea views. My daughter attends the R12 school and settled in very quickly.

Tracey

Hi Kizzy, great post. Its sounds just what we are looking for and im glad you have dispelled the myth of Hallett Cove been essentially British. We currently live in an area which is home to lots of different cultures and nationality's, so i would love to live in a similar place. Glad to hear your daughter has settled into school, hope mine do too!!:cute:.

I love living in Hallet cove we moved from fulham gardens,it has a much nicer feel here . my kids go to hallet cove south and have settled in really well .

I also dont have any English neighbours and agree that port nourlunga,seaford amd moana is the place where our fellow brits are moving too !

i love the pebbled beach here we go and collect shells,fish and look for dolphines and then have a glass of red in the cafe before heading home .I work in Lockleys which takes me about 1/2 drive which i dont mind .

Guest Guest5035
I also dont have any English neighbours and agree that port nourlunga,seaford amd moana is the place where our fellow brits are moving too !

clueless:biggrin:

\

you were saying smitty....:tongue:

lmao

stevo

what other areas are quite hilly then around s.a? i also like the sound of that for cycling/running/walking activities, its a bit like where I'm from as well. would like to be a bit closer to the city tho for work, maybe within 30 mins or so. any ideas?

cheers

Danny :-)

Guest jlr248

Hi Michelle, We have lived in HC for 6 months now. I spent years googling many of the suburbs in this area but when i first landed in Hallett i was hooked. In my opinion its one of the best coastal suburbs, not too far from the city, beach, hills and marion shopping/leisure centre just minutes away. It has a good train service, a decent local shopping centre for groceries etc . a few schools , a bar, several restaurants and takeaways and it's so beautiful!!!. The beach might not be ideal for swimming but is a lovely place for a peaceful walk and amazing beaches are only 10 minutes drive away in either direction. Yes you will hear many many english accents but plenty of aussies live here too. I love living here. My 15 year old girls think its boring and say there isnt much to do but i think they are still adjusting to live in Oz, though I must admit even in the summer you don't see many kids about, the streets and parks are very quiet, guess they are all at the beach or in their pools! Can't help with primary schools but my girls go to Hallett R-12, its early days and the girls have mixed feelings about it but overall i think most teachers are quite supportive. Hope this helps a bit, I remember how much I got from my constant questions on PIO before we moved here. Good luck with your move and enjoy this wonderful country. By the way I have only washed my car 3 times since we've lived here, theres much better things to do on a sunday afternoon. Jane x

Edited by jlr248
typo

Hi Michelle, We have lived in HC for 6 months now. I spent years googling many of the suburbs in this area but when i first landed in Hallett i was hooked. In my opinion its one of the best coastal suburbs, not too far from the city, beach, hills and marion shopping/leisure centre just minutes away, has a good train service, a decent local shopping centre for groceries etc and a few schools , a bar and several restaurants and takeaways and it's so beautiful!!!. The beach might not be ideal for swimming but is a lovely place for a peaceful walk and amazing beaches are only 10 minutes drive away in either direction. Yes you will hear many many english accents but plenty of aussies live here too. I love living here. My 15 year old girls think its boring and say there isnt much to do but i think they are still adjusting to live in Oz however I must admit even in the summer you don't seem to see many kids about, the streets and parks are very quiet, guess they are all at the beach or in their pools! Hope this helps a bit, I remember how much I got from my constant questions on PIO before we moved here. Good luck with your move and enjoy this wonderful country. By the way I have only washed my car 3 times since we've lived here, theres much better things to do on a sunday afternoon. Jane x

Thanks, it sounds great, we will definitely be checking out Hallett Cove and hopefully be able to secure a rental there. PS Dont 15 year old's find most things boring ?!!

I didn't say it was perfect did...some one asks for an opinion on Hallett Cove....Dont like it.... tough! Not all brits have to like it do they???

Morphettville on the other hand has great transport links to anywhere (my wife works all over Adelaide and has not had a problem getting anywa), great local pub (with free bus to take me home after!), 15 walk to SA's 'premier' tourist spot Glenelg - less than 5 min drive, the race course, its also flat for those that don't want to walk/cycle mountains everyday, close to shops!

Couldn't comment on schools as no kids..... but plenty of them around here so theres obviously one somewhere.

Hope thats ok for you!!

Arrghh... I can't make up my mind... Over this weekend we have viewed two properties that we have really taken to; one in Hallet Cove the other in Glenelg. The Glenelg house has more going for it in terms of it's location; it's $80 cheaper a month, Jetty Road is a 1 mile walk; the beach is a two mile walk away... We will only have one car to begin with so this is quite important in terms of my sanity; however the Hallet Cove house is fabulous, it has sea views & it's two storey, which is handy when you have a baby; so you're not having to tip toe around all on the same level.

Does anyone know; can you walk to the Hallet Cove shopping centre from the HC residential area? There is a bus stop right outside the house that we looked at, but I like the idea of being able to walk to places as well; if not does anyone know how reliable the buses are & how frequently they pass through HC. Also outside the cafe there is a sign that says Beware of the Snakes, now I understand there is a Conservation area but I think I would pass out if I saw a snake; can anyone who lives there tell me how likely bumping into Sid the Snake is whilst enjoying a lesuirely stroll along the beach?

Glenelg v Hallet Cove??