Hallett Cove Schools advice please

capers1

Hi

We have a 5 and 7 year old ( 6 & 8) at the end of the year. We are moving over in July, and hopefully will be renting in Hallett Cove. As a typical mum i started googling the schools to have a look , and have found 3, Hallett Cove, Hallett Cove South and Hallett Cove East. Just wondering what they are like and what parents and children's experiences are of them?

I know that grades are important but i think that equally children need to be happy and enjoy school. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Does the choice of school depend on the catchment like in the UK? Are all these schools public or some private? religious or have a focus on particular subjects?

You know what its like, i just want them to fit in find friends and enjoy going to school Thanks Michelle

Hi Michelle , my children have been going to Hallett cove south since march and love it . My son hates school but has settled in really well he is 9 and my daughter is 7 . I think the schools are zoned cos when i rang up they wanted to know where we were renting and sent me a map to see if i was in the zone . I think all the schools in hallet cove are public ones but i could be wrong !

carolyn

Guest Thong02

HI Michelle,

We visited Hallet Cove East School, back in April of this year. We were really impressed with the school, had a great tour and the head was very helpful. We liked the facilities, loved the fact they learn a language at primary level, the rooms were all self contained so there wasnt lots of kids milling around the place. We were told that there would be no problem for our son to start school, September of this year. Really impressed.

Good luck

Both my kids went to Hallett Cove East. They started in 2008 son was 10 and daughter was 6.

We were looking to go round all the schools at that time with the kids, so that they could get a feel for them too .... we went to the first one HCEPS (Hallett Cove East Primary School) and looked no further. The kids were happy with it and the head teacher at the time, easily passed around 20 kids at various stages of our visit and he knew every single name of each child. The school had a great atmosphere and it was a big deal for our kids after moving county (like many others), so we had to make sure it was the right decision .... and to date it was.

My son is now at Woodcroft College and my daughter is at Port Noarlunga P.S. as we moved areas.

I can't comment on the other schools within the area but I am more than happy with the one we chose. (daughter had been there for a little over 3 years and son was 2 years).

Hope all the information you get helps, it's a hard decision and only time will tell if it's the right one or not.

Guest Nikkibme12

Hi Michelle,

Both of my children attended the Hallet Cove R-12 school, but from year 8-12. Yes there are 3 schools but the other 2 are only for reception to grade 7. After this time, year 8-12, they normally attend Hallet Cove R-12 or in some circumstances Seaview High School, which I do not personally recommend.

My children started in the "private" education system, yet as value for money, huge class sizes, development, meeting students needs etc, it was not long before I removed them and place them into public schools. They attended Sheidow Park primary till year 7. Here they flourished and I never looked back.

Both my children are now in University. My eldest has just started Honours this year after a 3 year degree and my daughter is doing her Masters in physiotherapy at uni.

In Australia there is a always a lively discussion on whether to send your child to private or to public schools. I could discuss this further, yet the financial implications need to be considered as well as what direction your child wishes to go in life. (My sister sends her children to private schools and yes statistically they perform better scholastically, however in percentages of students who actually complete tertiary studies, that award is won by public school students.)

What I mean by that is tertiary education or trade. Hallet Cove R-12 caters for the needs of both as it is designed to link students with trade based studies on campus and TAFE etc for those who are more inclined in these fields, yet will also meet the demands for those wanting to go into higher tertiary based learning to year 12.

Costs. Uniforms are fairly basic with the school logo and reasonably priced without the need for expensive blazers, hats etc Schools fees are just those for public schools which vary depending on the year level of the student. The last fees I paid was for my daughter; approx $750 for the year and

that is a year 12 student. Much cheaper for your children. I'm guessing at around $500 per child per year. Please don't quote me on that. You do on top of that have school stationary to buy, depending on the year level, but the cost for my daughter was under $100 for the whole year.

There is lots more I can talk about but I will leave you this for the meantime. I hope I have been of some help.

All the best... Nikki:smile:

Both my kids went to Hallett Cove East. They started in 2008 son was 10 and daughter was 6.

We were looking to go round all the schools at that time with the kids, so that they could get a feel for them too .... we went to the first one HCEPS (Hallett Cove East Primary School) and looked no further. The kids were happy with it and the head teacher at the time, easily passed around 20 kids at various stages of our visit and he knew every single name of each child. The school had a great atmosphere and it was a big deal for our kids after moving county (like many others), so we had to make sure it was the right decision .... and to date it was.

My son is now at Woodcroft College and my daughter is at Port Noarlunga P.S. as we moved areas.

I can't comment on the other schools within the area but I am more than happy with the one we chose. (daughter had been there for a little over 3 years and son was 2 years).

Hope all the information you get helps, it's a hard decision and only time will tell if it's the right one or not.

Hi Cormcvcr

Can you let us know what you think about Port Noarlunga P.S?

Thanks