Same Sex Couples and Adoption in OZ

Guest Prawnies

Guest Prawnies

Hi all,

My name is Shaun and my partner's name is Blue. I am a social care consultant in the UK and Blue is a medical Dr.

We adopted our son in the UK, last year, he is 2years of age.

We are thinking of emigrating to live in Adelaide. My question to anyone is how are same sex couples received in Adelaide? Are civil partnerships legal? Is same sex adoption legal in Adelaide?

How do you think we will be received as a same sex couple with a son?

Thanks

Shaun

I don't know what the legal situation would be with your son as same sex couples aren't allowed to adopt in South Australia (but can be foster parents). Other states do allow it though - you would need to research this thoroughly with the Australian authorities. You may find it easier in those states (ACT, NSW and WA). One of my daughters friends has 2 mums and they are accepted as just another family at school - no signs of any prejudice.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Prawnies

HI Guys, thank-you so much for the response, I have been in touch with the adoption unit in Adelaide - and they are being really helpful with trying to answer my questions around same-sex couples with adopted children emigrating to Australia.

They tell me that there are a number of 'lesbian' couples with biological children in Adelaide and that while same sex ‘adoption’ is not yet legal, there are circumstances where same sex couples can take on a caring role for children, and become their legal guardians. That SA are moving much more into the ‘permanent care’ arena for same-sex couples - so good news for us!

Shaun

Hi, dont know much but worth checking this page on Facebook - just type on the search function NATIONAL ADOPTION AWARENESS WEEK

http://www.adoptionawarenessweek.com.au

Guest macrad

Hi Shaun,

I am planning on emigrating to Adelaide in the next year, I am in a same sex relationship and we have an 11 mth old son. If you find out any useful info about living in Adelaide as a gay/lesbian family can you post it as we are very interested in finding out all we can.

Good luck

Donna

Hi shaun

firstly i would like to shake you and your partners hand and say good job in adopting a young child and for giving him a new start in life going to australia...but don't know the rules to coming to Adelaide i can't see it being a problem...if it was me i would say yes come on over

Alex

Hi Shaun,

I am planning on emigrating to Adelaide in the next year, I am in a same sex relationship and we have an 11 mth old son. If you find out any useful info about living in Adelaide as a gay/lesbian family can you post it as we are very interested in finding out all we can.

Good luck

Donna

Hi Donna. There was a reply in the post above your own, I've copied and pasted it below.

HI Guys, thank-you so much for the response, I have been in touch with the adoption unit in Adelaide - and they are being really helpful with trying to answer my questions around same-sex couples with adopted children emigrating to Australia.

They tell me that there are a number of 'lesbian' couples with biological children in Adelaide and that while same sex ‘adoption’ is not yet legal, there are circumstances where same sex couples can take on a caring role for children, and become their legal guardians. That SA are moving much more into the ‘permanent care’ arena for same-sex couples - so good news for us!

Shaun

If your child is your own or your partners biological child then the above post indicates this should not be an issue. It would be worth you contacting the organisations people have mentioned in this thread and finding out for yourself with regards to your situation.

I would also suggest both you and Shaun contact a reputable migration agent as they would probably be far more knowledgeable in these sorts of matters and it may be you will require hiring one for your visa application so having a free 10 minute phone consult would be time well spent. Go Matilda, Ian Harrop and Visa Bureau get good feedback generally. There are a few you should avoid so be sure to read plenty of reviews and so on. And ensure they are MARA registered.

This site is helpful for seeing which ones are highly rated. The ones I mentioned are listed with 5 stars. I suggest avoiding the less highly rated ones on this page.

http://migrationagentreviews.com/australia-agent-reviews.html

Shaun and Donna - It may also be worth posting over on our sister site, Poms In Oz as it has a far larger membership and covers all of Australia. You may well find others who have been in your situation or get help from others with more knowledge on the matter. Some of the migration agents post on here but also post there and may well reply with some info as they tend to be more active over on PIO.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/forum.php

But defo contact a decent migration agent Shaun, see where you and your partner stand or if they can put you in touch with an agent who has knowledge in this area.

Guest Prawnies

Hi - thank you all so much for the comments - I am now in touch with a Anne-Marie Hutchinson OBE - from the solicitors firm on this link http://www.dawsoncornwell.com/en/about_amh.html My main query is how an adopted child to a same-sex couple emigrating from the UK to a state in Australia whereby same sex adoption is not legal - will be seen in the eyes of the Australian law - will we be seen as his parents? his guardians? or just two blokes he happens to live with ? - joking aside this may have implications for schooling, life insurances, and leaving our estate to our son. The solicitor has assured me she will find out the definite answer to all off the questions about - I will post this once I hear back.

I will also post on Poms in Oz as you suggest - @Donna - there is a facebook page for 'gay' Adelaide that I have come across - may be useful stuff here. http://www.facebook.com/samesame

Shaun