Adelaide Bound - Feb 2013

Guest weegie

Guest weegie

Hi,

So, after what seemed at the time like a long process but now feels like it went by in a flash, we got our 475 yesterday (3rd July 2012). Like many, the relief and nerves had kicked in yesterday but tonight was time to pop open the champagne and relax.

Planning to get to Adelaide in Feb 2013 - I can't wait, OH suddenly nervous and a bit spaced.

Happy that I could start a thread tonight as I finally give a bit a feedback earlier to a fellow ITer after many weeks of lurking and soaking up advice.

Guest weegie

As for suburbs, that's been my wife's task for the last 6 months - I'll see if I can her to post what we're looking at. From what I remember, we'll be aiming for West/South of the CBD within a 20/30 minute drive.

Guest Katangel
We are flying end of march... Have you thought about suburbs yet? We are wanting semi rural ish and aw looking at the Hills, tea tree gully and beyond.

Very nice area to be looking :-) gumeracha is nice, or the barossa valley for a bit further out :-) i.m very much a north east, hills kind of girl rather than south and beaches, that's more holiday scenery for me, not every day living if that makes sense lol :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest weegie

Ooooooh, flights are booked for 28th Feb 2013 - getting scary now.

Short term rental sorted and counting down the days.

If anyone is interested, it's summer here, rain is bucketing, wind is picking up and people still ask 'why are you moving?'

Weegie

Guest rishyb

Hi Weegie

We're also flying out in February next year. Soooo excited but nervous at the same time. Its been a long time coming.

Can I ask how you found your short term rental?

This is my first post so I hope I've done it right :huh:

Guest weegie

HI there, I spent a long time whilst we were going through the visa process looking up short term rental properties and found they are between $500 to $750 dollars per week which is quite a cost when you're starting out. Many, or most of them are out at Port Noarlunga or Christies Beach, Morphett Vale and Hallett Cove which are all gorgeous but quite a way out from central Adelaide. I don't know how you feel about that, but I wanted to spend my first 6 weeks in or around the area I think we'd be happy living, and found a 2 bed (sleeps 4) apartment right on the prom at Henley Beach, SA 5024, about 20 minutes from CBD for $550 per week, which I was very happy with. This rental company seem to be the most cost effective options and she is Donna Jacobs, at http://www.adelaideaustraliaaccommodation.com.au/.The most helpful site I found for all this research is http://www.adelaidebound.com/shorttermaccommodation.html.

Let us know if you want any info on affordable one way flights and how to get 4-6 weeks of clothing away with you rather than looking at excess baggage (which is exorbitant and awkward trying to take 2 suitcases each!!)

Hope this helps! There isn't much that we haven't researched to death, and we'd be more than happy to share this info so you don't have to!

Guest jewels

Hi all,

I have just returned from a school visiting trip to The Barossa Vallley, All the schools we visited were really good, I feel they offer a better standard of education then Qld were we used to live and much better than the uk, 2nd trip there already this year to do a reckie, the area is absolutely beautiful, the areas I liked are Tanunda which is a lovely small town, I also loved Bethany, Williamstown and heading out to Mount Craven.

We all much prefer the country to the beaches it's simply stunning, we are heading out to live October this year, can't wait for our adventure to begin.

Look forward to hearing from you all, if you need any help send us a message.

Hello all and congrats Weegie! Our visa was granted in March and we are now planning to be out there by March 2013 so just after you, we are also weighing up short term rental options at the moment, so exciting and equally quite scary!

I was wondering about maybe staying on a static caravan park and whether that might cut costs (finding prices to be the same as you and trying to minimise) did you look at any of those?

Ali

Guest weegie

I think I did look into statics/holiday homes thinking like you that they might be more cost effective. I think I discovered that they weren't because they are charging holiday rents and 4-6 weeks of those fees was hideous. But don't quote me on that, I just seem to remember it being on a daily charge and it soon added up. Let's see what anyone else thinks...

Try stayz.com.au for short term furnished lets. I found loads either in or close to the city, and there are loads listed for all over Adelaide. The prices are often by the night but many owners give a discount for longer stays. Contact them through the website with the dates you are interested in and they will let you know if they have availability and what the price would be. The other place to y would be takeabreak.com.au. Lots of properties are on both but there are some that are just on one or the other.

Guest CarlyT

I remember being shocked about the price of short term accommodation!! We ended up booking with Adelaide Dress Circle www.adelaidedresscircle.com.au/ which cost us £665pw - still more than we'd like but it's in north adelaide so nice and central which should make things easier for us to start with. Very good service so far aswell, Jeannette is very helpful!

Each apartment has:

• Fully equipped kitchens, stainless steel appliances, dishwasher, microwave

• Fully equipped laundry facilities, washing machine, dryer, iron

• Air-conditioned

• LCD TV, DVD and stereo

• All linen, bedding and towels

Rates include:

• Weekly clean and linen service

• WiFi Broadband internet connection (fair use policy)

• Telephone line & local calls

• All utilities

• Car parking

• Complimentary goods on arrival

• Welcome packs containing maps and general information about Adelaide

• Personalised meet and greet service on arrival at apartment

I too thought about a caravan site but they didn't work out much cheaper - and were a bit too far out for us.

Weegie....what are your tips about clothes?! We've just sent a load with the container....and are missing them already!!! Think we may have some excess baggage charges still though - seems we still have heaps here!

Guest conor222

We're march 2013 arrival and I'm now definately on the adelaide forum!(scary) - love to meet some folk - no family out there so its us and our boys so hi to all