Should we should`nt we ? HELP!!

Guest Spiritgirl

Guest Spiritgirl

Hi all, Am new to the forum but have been a regular visitor for some time. OH and I have now got to the very last stages of Contributory Parent Visa 143 an are seriously considering if we can actually afford to make the move to Adelaide. With the downturn in the British economy, the low exchange rate and the rising costs of living in Australia we are having second thoughts.OH has been a postie all his life an his job is secure here whilst my job in retail will end prob later this year. We will have enough money to get us on our way but it seems unlikley that we would now be able to afford a mortgage or the high cost of rentals. Anybody else in this situation ? Did you play safe or where you brave enough to fly off that cliff and follow your dream ? Any input greatly received !!!

Guest Katangel

We are returning to Adelaide next year after being in the UK since 2010. We sold our house in Adelaide and bought a house here but had to sell it after a year to survive financially as OH.s work wasn't earning us enough. So at the moment we are renting and living off savings which are running out fast. Long term in the UK we realise its not going to work for us hence returning to Adelaide next year once we have finalized things here and the move will pretty much use all our savings so we are going to have to start from the beginning again. Both work our backsides off and save some money and rent til we can save a deposit and get a mortgage. This is our 5 year plan lol we have an advantage in that i.m aussie anyways and OH is a citizen already and he had lived in Adelaide for ten years before coming back to the UK. It is still hard though and i expect to struggle, i just know that long term for us it has to be Adelaide rather than the UK. Good luck :-)

Its getting harder for us older 'immigrants' with the Australian cost of living rising and exchange rate getting worse. I assume as you are on a 143 that you have family here. For us it was always a case of seeing them and our grandchildren more in our retirement as the only other family we have is an unmarried son back in the UK (It will be easier for him to make the journey to see us).

We are lucky that we don't have to work but we sold our house in the UK and used the proceeds to buy here. Our pensions are small but adequate and we can live simply here. I'm pretty good at making ends meet and however tough it gets I still prefer to be poor and happy in this great country (especially in the Summer) than being slightly (but not much) better off and miserable in the UK.

We have followed our dream and have no regrets. We knew it wouldn't be easy but are prepared to go for it.

Guest lebour

As this visa is a PR visa, you need to validate the visa by visting Australia within 12 months from the earliest date of your medicals or Police checks.

Your visa is valid 5 years from the date it is granted - so you have 5 years to move over if not ready straight away. I know the 143 visa is very expensive, but maybe in a few years time you might not be able to get a visa to move over if you change your mind.

Good Luck with whatever decision you make.

Guest Spiritgirl

Hi Katangel, sounds like you are both determined to make it back to Adelaide. I think thats part of our problem, one of us is more cautious than the other. We only have a couple of weeks to make our minds up and I`m aware that this could be our only opportunity to get our visas as every year the cost will go up. At the moment its not looking good .........

Guest Spiritgirl

Hello JTCT, thanks for your help, Yes I have a son living in Adelaide who is now an Aussie Citizen. Also have younger son living 6 miles away who I see a couple of times a week. OH`s concern is that we wont find jobs and will regret the move as we are pretty secure here but I feel that life is for living and a new adventure is just whats needed. Thats not to say that I don`t apprecieate his concerns. Time will tell but we are fast running out of time......

Guest Spiritgirl

Hi Lebour, yes I am aware of the conditions of validating the visa and that we have five years before we need to emigrate, its just the fact that it will cost £50,000 for the visa charge and then if we decide against the move we will be £50,000 worse off ! I have to say tho I think in terms of Immigration Australia has got it right!

Guest lebour
Hi Lebour, yes I am aware of the conditions of validating the visa and that we have five years before we need to emigrate, its just the fact that it will cost £50,000 for the visa charge and then if we decide against the move we will be £50,000 worse off ! I have to say tho I think in terms of Immigration Australia has got it right!

I know its crazy amount of money - maybe put a ticket in for the Euromillions tommorrow!!:wink: 4x rollover!!