Hello All

obxer7

Just want to introduce myself, my name is Nicola (34). Myself and my OH are hoping to emigrate next year with our young daughter. We were initially looking at Perth but feel that there are better job prospects for myself in SA.

I submitted my EOI today after receiving my positive skills assessment in the post.

Hope everyone is well.

Hi Nicola we are also hoping to do the move next year scary thought! But exciting! I'm Kerry and I'm also 34 doing the move with my husband and 3 children, we were debating weather to go for Perth or Adelaide but have gone for Adelaide ! We have just been accepted and now waiting for our medicals so visa nearly done! It's all beginning to feel a lot more real now, What do u do job wise?

Hi Nicola - we are looking to move this year but as I'm an Aussie it is a little easier. However, having said that if you own a house get it up for sale sooner than you think. The market in the UK is poor - well that is our experience. Some have sold quite quickly on here but I would say in general the housing market is ver slow in the UK.

Anyway, good luck enjoy the forum it has a wealth of knowledge and helpful people.

Mis

Hi Nicola we are also hoping to do the move next year scary thought! But exciting! I'm Kerry and I'm also 34 doing the move with my husband and 3 children, we were debating weather to go for Perth or Adelaide but have gone for Adelaide ! We have just been accepted and now waiting for our medicals so visa nearly done! It's all beginning to feel a lot more real now, What do u do job wise?

Thanks for reply to my post. We are hoping to emigrate next August/September or so. We are getting married in June so sometime after that.

I am a secondary Maths teacher and there appears to be more jobs advertised in SA than WA. We are hoping to either get SS or get invited to apply for a visa through SkillSelect. Just a waiting game really.

What do you do yourself, where in Adelaide area are you looking to move to, we haven't really got that far!!

Hi Nicola - we are looking to move this year but as I'm an Aussie it is a little easier. However, having said that if you own a house get it up for sale sooner than you think. The market in the UK is poor - well that is our experience. Some have sold quite quickly on here but I would say in general the housing market is ver slow in the UK.

Anyway, good luck enjoy the forum it has a wealth of knowledge and helpful people.

Mis

Thanks for your reply. I know what you mean about the UK housing market, it took 9 months to sell my partners house when he moved in with me earlier in the year. We haven't decided what we are going to do with my house yet....we may rent it out.

Hope all is well. x

Hi there were looking into gong around the same kind of time as you prob around July August, I'm a hairdresser and oh a vehicle paint sprayer, we are slowly looking into areas but like u not really looked much,need to start now though! Quite like the sound of port norlunga but I suppose will have to c what jobs etc are around! It's hard to know, how old is your daughter? Keep in touch and hopefully be able to help each other out! Kerry x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jplaysguitar
we are slowly looking into areas but like u not really looked much,need to start now though! Quite like the sound of port norlunga but I suppose will have to c what jobs etc are around!

Maybe this is a bit obsessive compulsive but I created a Google map, accessible only to people who had the URL. I researched rental costs & house prices by area, then put little yellow house icons on all the affordable (but not dodge-city) areas. Then I researched potential employers for me and my OH, put them on the map as blue (for boys) and pink (for girls) pushpins. In doing that, it gave a really clear visual on which affordable suburbs were nearest the most potential employers and, when I changed those to green colour, it helped me settle on the area from Henley Beach to Largs bay and over to Paradise, as a target. It was a bit of a labour of love but would definitely recommend it. Check out this screenshot and no laughing at my OCD please, lol!Map screengrab.jpg

Edited by jplaysguitar
Typo

Guest USA soon just SA

Don't worry about being OCD, as we have a map that looks very similar. Except that ours is about schools (and a real paper map because putting stickers on the computer screen is just stupid isn't it), and we made stickers for each of the top 60 public primary, and private primary schools (with their ranking on each, with both in the same color, but with the private schools having a small "p"), then we added the top 25 high schools for public and private, again in the same color, with "p"'s for the private schools. This allowed us to visually see where the schools were that we were willing to go to, since we wanted to be close enough to walk/bike there. It worked for us, and we found where we are going to live based on the school areas, but the only problem now is that the adelaide map we bought was the only one left on Amazon.com, and now it has 170 stickers on it, and we can't read anyhting about street names or suburbs. If only there were a way to do this kinda thing on a computer.....................Hmmmmm.

I just re-read this, and realized that there are 2 types of people who will read this post, the ones who will go "WTF is he talking about?", and the OCD ones who will go "well, that's a fine way to do it, but it would have been better if..."

See you all in October!

Guest cooksinparadise

Hi Kerry, you will be pleased you chose Adelaide over Perth......Adelaide City has so much more to offer, in fact Adelaide itself has alot more to offer

and is more accessible than Perth. My husband and 3 children moved out here 7 years ago. We had a choice to move to another state but have chosen

to stay in Adelaide for now!!! It is very exciting....Enjoy the ride!!!!

Guest jplaysguitar
the only problem now is that the adelaide map we bought was the only one left on Amazon.com, and now it has 170 stickers on it, and we can't read anyhting about street names or suburbs. If only there were a way to do this kinda thing on a computer.....................Hmmmmm.

Seriously, have a go at google maps. I got the idea from my job, where I use a programme called Autoroute Express to plot locations of customers and plan driving routes. Only trouble was, it covers only Europe, so I turned to Google. I know it'd mean you'd have to re-plot your "stickers" but at least you could get rid of any schools you originally plotted but have now ruled out and you'd be able to access your map from any computer, anywhere in the world! Also, you wouldn't obliterate the street-level info. Happy mapping!

Guest AngPhil

I love the map. I am an OCD person, I will investigate that. I am a secondary maths teacher too, I will be looking for a job for the start of the 2013 year, I will let you know how I get on. We arrive in Adelaide in under two weeks :) can't wait!

Ah 7 years that's good to hear u ar all obviously happy there!! I do feel glad we have choose Adelaide just felt right for some reason! Perth did worry me being a bit isolated! We are all getting very excited now! Just when u think of all that needs doing sorting and research etc it's a bit much,just to do one thing at a time is all we can do I suppose! It's just nice to be over the shall we shan't we not knowing weather to go for it or not,where as now it's we're going!!! Did u find your children settled well and settled ok at school? Kerry x