Ahhhh Adelaide here we come!!! Singapore Airlines tip enclosed!!!

OKMorris

hi all

I thought it was time I put my own tip on here as I have to say this site has been so helpful to us with various diffrent bits of info and tips that have helped us along the way.

Finally we have our visa and are on our way!! I am a Travel agent in the UK so thought I would share this tip below.

I am new to all this so apologies if it has been said before but just booked our flights to Adelaide with Singapore Airlines and they have advised that if you have an unstamped permanent residency visa for Australia i.e. it is your first time over to take up residency and the visa specifies an indefinite stay they will upgrade your luggage allowance free of charge to 40kg per person!!! good for all the shoes I will be bringing!! This can be as many bags as you like as long as the total weight 40kg

:smile:

Edited by OKMorris
spelling

Guest Watkinsfamily

Does this still apply if you have done your visa activation visit and are now moving to stay for good please?

Many thanks very useful especially as I want to do a couple of days in Singapore when I make the move this time next year.

Good luck X

Does this still apply if you have done your visa activation visit and are now moving to stay for good please?

Many thanks very useful especially as I want to do a couple of days in Singapore when I make the move this time next year.

Good luck X

If you have already validated you will not get your 40kgs - sorry - first trip only

Irishstew

How do you do this? I thought it was automatic! Thanks.

Email SA with your flight info, visa type (number) etc and enquire re the 40kg. They will email you back. Print it off to take with you to airport.

Remember if you've validated a permanent visa the migrant baggage excess no longer applies.

We had an email but they never asked to see it but i would not take the chance and would kick myself if i got a huge excess baggage bill just becouse i did not get an email conformation. Just email them and when they send the standard reply print it of for peace of mind. There will be enough going through your head without worrying about that.

Hi everyone we flew in January to Adelaide for the first time with Singapore airlines. When I booked the tickets I asked about the extra allowance and she said as long as our visa/ passport hadn't been stamped then we would get the extra allowance. I just turned up at the airport with all my bags and they checked them in with all the extra allowance and a little bit more ( a lovely young man) at no charge or fuse x

Ok...we also don't have the passport stamp, do we need this do you think or did they check it electronically for you guys?

All visas are electronic these days, so they can see on screen what visa type you have. The label is an extra now that you can request. Means sending your PP's to Aus house in the UK to get the actual visa labels in your passport.

Guest Helchops

So, confirmation email & print out of visa letter should be ok?

I don't know, you spend your time packing your home up, and forget about these fairly crucial things!!

So, confirmation email & print out of visa letter should be ok?

I don't know, you spend your time packing your home up, and forget about these fairly crucial things!!

Sounds good. It will only take a couple of minutes and as Bacons said, is good for peace of mind at least.

Guest andylynnchriskirst

We arrived last week, and we had the problem that we had already validated our visas, so were only allowed the 20kg (not great when emigrating).

But after asking Singapore Airlines, as a 'good-will gesture' they said they would give us 30kg, which was perfect for us! :biggrin:

Guest Adelaide_bound
We fly in 16 days and haven't emailed Singapore as we thought it was automatic too? Can anyone confirm or deny?

Don't stress - despite having the most miserable cow in the world check us in at Heathrow we had no issues getting our extra baggage allowance, - I did have to point out to her we were entitled to it (but didn't have anything printed out as it had gone walkies), as she was rather stroppy with us anyway, and she didn't put up any fight at all, so if you don't manage to get an email and print it out in time, don't stress :)

Guest matt n mel

Hi there, yes we flew with singapore air, and didn't have any form of email etc, although I was a bit worried about this. I rang my travel agent to ask her, and she said no worries, just turn up and as long as it's a one way ticket and you haven't flown to oz since your visa grant you'll be fine. Despite me being a bit doubtful about her advice I took her at her word, and as i checked in (at airport- didn't do online check in, just in case that threw any difficulties into the mix!) I explained to the guy at the counter that I was validating my visa grant therefore I had been advised I would definitely get the 40 ks and he examined my passport to ensure I hadn't already flown to oz since the grant, checked it was a one way ticket and it was fine. My partner who had a return ticket, wasn't eligible for the 40ks as he was returning. Hope that helps, mel

Don't stress - despite having the most miserable cow in the world check us in at Heathrow we had no issues getting our extra baggage allowance, - I did have to point out to her we were entitled to it (but didn't have anything printed out as it had gone walkies), as she was rather stroppy with us anyway, and she didn't put up any fight at all, so if you don't manage to get an email and print it out in time, don't stress :)

How do you do this? I thought it was automatic! Thanks.

Hi

We sent an e-mail to uk_feedback@singaporeair.com.sg and gave them our flight details (Booking ref etc). We managed to 'cadge' an extra 10kg baggage per person as we had already validated our visas.

If it's your first time and your visa hasn't been validated, you should send them an e-mail with a scanned copy of your visas and they should then send you a covering e-mail and they should also make a note in your booking. We heard back from them in three days, good luck.

Hope this helps?

R & H

Hi OKMorris: Thanks for confirming Singapore Airlines' extra baggage allowance for people travelling to Oz with unstamped Permanent Resident visas in their passprts. However, as my OH and I have recently been granted new Resident Return Visas (after 18 years absence from living in Oz), do you know if this condition applies to us when we return to live in Adelaide next year?

All good wishes to everyone on PIA going through the whole visa application process. It can be a nightmare, but very often it has a dreamy ending!

Hi All

Does anyone know if the 40Kgs applies right throughout the trip (if you take a multi stop trip). For example arrive brisbane and then fly on to Adelaide, all one booking, but will I get stung on the internal flight.

By the way the best price I could get for shipping extra bags independently via air was from a company called excess baggage.

IrishStew