HELPP!!! moving from toronto to adelaide and scared :s

Guest patriciakowalczyk

Guest patriciakowalczyk

Hey everyone~

im 20 years old and my boyfriend has convinced me to move to adelaide in the next couple of months.. were hoping we will be there by september!

but tell you the truth... I get goosebumps talking about it!! i really want to go.. I've travelled all my life and i am ready to make a move on my own without my parents... but this means starting a new life and i have no idea how to go about making plans for this move!! (oh god i sound like the most clueless, young girl ever!!) my parents are against me going.. with valid reasons... i hardly have any money and i have no plans for a job or anything.. I'm completely winging it!

so my question is.... what is the least amount of money i absolutely NEEED to have when i land? and what should i start planning before i get there??

any suggestions? PLEASE HELP!! so desperate

thanks in advance to anyone who comments!!

Guest Helchops

What visa class will you be on?

Im in the iPhone, so I'll be brief. I can't imagine a more risky strategy than the one you're taking: you need to consider accommodation, the right to work (visa subclass), getting around, medical care, social care, taxation, and hundreds more. At 20, what are your skills?

All that said, you'll also find a lot of people saying, if I was 20, I'd 'go for it'...of course they didn't at the time, but youthful optimism on reflection is quite infectious.

Guest patriciakowalczyk

holiday work visa! and skills... well I've worked customer service and I've worked a few office jobs..

and yeah everyones telling me to go.. and many say the exact same thing you are saying!!

also many of my friends who have done the same (a bit more planned than what i am doing right now) absolutely loved it and said they found many jobs quickly... like working at bars, restaurants, retail.. etc.

The immigration website lists as needing $5000 Aud for a WHV to ensure you have finds to support yourself through your visit. And if you don't have a return ticket then enough of that to cover a flight out of the country.

You'll need a chunk for accommodation, even if it's a hostel, money for a car/bike to get around or good access to public transport so you can work.

I'd not go with less than that amount on a WHV but people do. They lie about their funds and can then get caught short once in Aus if they can't find work erc. You have no recourse to public funds and will most likely need medical and travel cover insurance also.

I think you should at least have funds to see you through the first few months. Lots of people go over on a WHV but some do get caught out thinking they will easily find a job, even casual work can be hard to come by as there are lots of people seeking those types of work. Students, part time workers etc.

Have a think and plan your trip, but ensure you save as much as possible to go with and have funds for a flight home at the end.

Btw for bar work I think you need to attend a course to work in Aus bars etc, get a certificate of some kind iirc, worth learning more in case it's a course you have to pay for yourself....

Also keep jn mind a WHV is just that. A holiday supplemented by casual short term work. It's not intended to be a permanent thing and if you wish to do a second year you need to get your regional work under your belt.

People make the move with all kinds of visas, in all kinds of circumstances, some with tons of research and others with little, and some with quite a bit of money and others very little. Personally, if you were thinking of coming over in a year's time and were now asking these questions I'd think you were doing enough research to help you decide (and save up); if you're only at the point of asking these sort of questions now but expect to be here 'in the next couple of months' then you don't sound prepared enough to me, but then perhaps I'm not a great risk taker.

Good luck, but think it over carefully.

Jim

Guest patriciakowalczyk

@snifter yeah we called them and asked about how much we need in funds.. atm I'm planning on going there with just that! 5000 and enough for my ticket back (and i just got hired at another job today actually and i start tomorrow so 2 jobs for the next couple months should give me a feww extra hopefully 2000 grand)... as well my boyfriend has his own share plus more and we've discussed that if i were to run out of money he would keep us afloat. and as far as working at a bar goes... i will have to look into that for sure!! thanks!! i didn't even think of that! but i don't really have any bar experience.... I've worked at a few office jobs and right now I'm currently working in retail but working at a bar would definitely interest me as a job on the side... thanks for all your suggestions!

@jim thanks for the luck!!

Guest chooklady

I started out on a Working Holiday Visa and managed to get Admin work through temp agencies. Select and Locher were the ones in Adelaide I had most luck with. Also a good way to meet people and get to know the area. I remember getting a call in the morning asking if I could get to Pirie Street in 1 hour to start work! Had no idea where it was...

Good Luck :-)