Speeding :(

Guest Hedwig

Guest Hedwig

Hi guys

Had to re-register as forgot our details!!

Can anyone give me any advice? Am very upset and angry with myself as i know it is my fault, but have just been issued with 2 speeding fines on the same day and within 20 mins of each other! I have driven for nearly 20 years in the uk with absolutely no speeding fines whatsoever. Due to my previous history does anyone think that if i wrote a letter to them explaining myself and admitting responsibility but highlighting my previous record, that i could get just a caution? Has anyone tried this? I read on another forum that in Another state they have allowed this.

I am now completely paranoid and constantly watching my speedo rather than the road and hazards. I was doing 69km in a 60 zone and 71km in a 60. This i think works out as 42mph in a 37 zone and 45ish in a 37mph zone. Also will it be 1 demerit point for each offence as they are both under 15kph excess? Fine is $320 each!

Any help or people with similar experiences will be gratefull received!

Hi sad news about the speeding...I've been caught quite a few times at first i just paid the fine but when getting close to the 12 point loss i took my fine to court and won a few times...police see it as if you get caught you will pay the fine but don't won't you to take the police to court for the offence...also did take one offence not long ago to court and won as the police didn't know what the offence was when i arrived at court..the arresting officer had written the fine out in short hand and couldn't read it so got kicked out.

Up to you if you want to challenge it but remember if you lose in court your fine will be doubled and plus court costs

I think its a common occurrence and one that many of us on here have been caught by in our first few months over here. This is going to sound really righteous but we all know the obvious answer - don't speed. The fact you've been driving in the UK for 20 years without a speeding fine doesn't mean you're a good driver - if current facts are right then you've probably been speeding for 20 years but the police were more tolerant or just too busy. Its a cultural thing. View speeding here in the same way as drink driving in the UK. Its completely irrelevant to compare the speeds in MPH and KPH. My wife was caught speeding on the way to the supermarket and then 1/2 hour later driving home! We now have a little yellow sticker by 50 & 110 on the speedo. It took me over a year to get used to driving slowly but now having been here for 2 years its become then norm. Australians may be truly awful drivers (watch what happens when it rains) and their kids are smashing themselves up in fast cars left right and centre but they nearly all drive at the speed limit.

Guest Guest5035
Hi sad news about the speeding...I've been caught quite a few times at first i just paid the fine but when getting close to the 12 point loss i took my fine to court and won a few times.

still not learnt your lesson, you should be ashamed..this is from someone having known a friend who got killed by a bozo going fast in a car

stevo

Lynnsteve sorry for your loss of a good friend but i was only a few k's over each time i get caught which is my fault. and i know that's all it takes but i don't tail gate,stop at all lights,don't drink,don't do drugs,and I'm now back to a clean licence which i need for my job at Adelaide airport.

I've seen the way Adelaide drivers drive they need to be so close to the car in front or 9/10 a P plater is speeding which is normally the cause of most accidents high powered cars with no experience, i ride a motorcycle and i need eyes in the back of my head as most drivers don't see me and those drivers are speeding P platers

Alex

Guest Hedwig

Thanks for all your replies. I completely take responsibility, just a stab in the dark really! Yes i have learnt my lesson and am now completely paranoid, now its the tail gaters who are annoying me as i drive at 55 kph.

It was only a couple of weeks ago that i saw a p plater's passenger sticking her bum out of the window on grand junction road!! I was just gobsmaked:arghh:

It was only a couple of weeks ago that i saw a p plater's passenger sticking her bum out of the window on grand junction road!! I was just gobsmaked:arghh:

There you go then, if you'd had your eyes fixed on your speedometer to make sure you stuck at 60, you'd have been spared that sight!

There is nothing you can really do but try to learn your lesson.

Speeding is though one of those bug bearers here that get on my nerves, the camera's are set up secretly to catch you, fair enough you shouldn't be speeding, but there is a difference between accident prevention from speeding and revenue raising, and we are very heavily tuned with revenue raising.

I too have 1 speeding fine, I got caught at 67 at the top of Port Road where the road is nearly 4 lanes wide, with a huge central strip, but the road is only 60. Sure it's my fault, but it's a lot different to so many hoons you see hurtling round corners at 60 in a built up area with a 40 or 50 zone, but of course why would the police be around the back and side streets to catch these ?

Guest Guest5035
Thanks for all your replies. I completely take responsibility, just a stab in the dark really! Yes i have learnt my lesson and am now completely paranoid, now its the tail gaters who are annoying me as i drive at 55 kph.

There you go then, if you'd had your eyes fixed on your speedometer to make sure you stuck at 60, you'd have been spared that sight!

Was it you Diane, trying to be ingcognito with a P plate:embarressed:

stevo

Speed limits are MAXIMUM speed limits, not COMPULSORY. There's no excuse for breaking them.

If you wish to get anywhere in a reasonable time frame, they are compulsory.

Buy a car with a speed limiter and you will never break the speed limit again.

11km over isn't really much, and would be within tolerances in the UK. I quite often notice I'm doing 80 in a 60 and have to slow down. Should use the speed limiter a bit more often lol.

I do think that they seem to sit in spots where it's likely you'll creep over the limit here (on hills for example). But we all know they're strict so should stick to the limit and not moan if we get caught.

Speed kills. (Along with alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, swarms of bumble bees, angry women and lightning strikes.)

If you wish to get anywhere in a reasonable time frame, they are compulsory.

Buy a car with a speed limiter and you will never break the speed limit again.

11km over isn't really much, and would be within tolerances in the UK. I quite often notice I'm doing 80 in a 60 and have to slow down. Should use the speed limiter a bit more often lol.

I do think that they seem to sit in spots where it's likely you'll creep over the limit here (on hills for example). But we all know they're strict so should stick to the limit and not moan if we get caught.

Speed kills. (Along with alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, swarms of bumble bees, angry women and lightning strikes.)

And we are not in the UK so have to accept the rules are different. And if we go over them and get caught we should accept the fines and not try to wriggle out of it, blame the system, or whine about it. It's for those exact reasons we get called whinging POMs.

Hi there,

I know how you feel I got one sent through 2 weeks ago and had to pay $312 and also gained 1 demerit. I got caught doing 62km in a 50 zone. I was convinced it was my wife but no it was me the one day i take the car to work.

You can also get fined for having your arm hanging out the window while driving

You can also get fined for having your arm hanging out the window while driving

That's acceptable. You're not in full control of the vehicle if you don't have both hands on the steering wheel. Ever tried correcting a power slide with one hand? It's pretty difficult. If you get a chance, pop down the local car park and give it a go. :xmas13:

Why is everyone so suprised when they get a fine for speeding????

Everyone (well lots of poeople) on here moan about cops hiding in bushes with lasers or "not cactching the real crooks"

Surely everyone knows to stick to the speed limit or you WILL get caught and pay an EXPENSIVE fine!!

I maybe wrong or things may have moved on but you weren't even allowed to have your elbow out of the window even if you still had hold of the driving wheel.

Anyway, if we all stuck at the speed limit it would allow the police to move on to other areas of crime. I'm not saying i don't speed by the way but just expressing an opinion.