importing car from the UK

Guest abbiedog

Guest abbiedog

we are importing our car from the uk and wondered if anyone else has done this? it is bobbing along the higyh seas as I write. We need to get a garage to carry out checks and issue a certificate , or 3 , can anyone recommed a good garage please.

we arrive in adelaide on September 15th from nottingham.

When you take possession of the car can you drive it onto Australian roads? I have only ever seen one car on British plates in the fifteen years I've been here, If you can drive it you'll need a garage close to where you are going to live,if you can't drive it you'll need a garage close to where you pick it up.If its coming to the Port maybe try these. Same as your local Vauxhall dealer, on arrival join or ask the RAA [a must for motorists] to give you the number of a towtruck driver.

Smiths Holden

271 Commercial Rd, Port Adelaide, SA 5015

(08) 8400 7100

Edited by bigal

Guest Guest5035
we are importing our car from the uk and wondered if anyone else has done this? it is bobbing along the higyh seas as I write. We need to get a garage to carry out checks and issue a certificate , or 3 , can anyone recommed a good garage please.

we arrive in adelaide on September 15th from nottingham.

someone will correct me if i'm wrong, but a garage cannot give you a certificate, i believe that you have to take it to the motor rego dept at regency park, where their inspectors basically check out the car and then give you the certificate where you go next door to get your registration and number plates. Sounds easy i know, but they will check to see if it passes Australian standards etc etc. You CANNOT drive it until it passes the inspection. See "New residents" section

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Interstate+and+international+motorists/Motorists+from+overseas/Driving+a+vehicle+registered+overseas

stevo

ps i was from nottingham, west bridgford, whereabouts are you in nottingham

Edited by Guest5035

Guest abbiedog

hi many thanks for the info. knew that I cant drive it on the roads and that it will have to go everywhere on a trailer until i get the paper work sorted. it will get new plates and a new number stamped in to the engine block. my import book said that i would need three certificates but if the guys at the motor rego depatrment can do it all in 1 go that would be better. Do you know the full name of the department and then I can email them and get the info from the horses mouth, so the speak.

we are from South Normanton, I grew up in warsop, taught in kimberley and my hubby id from rise Park area, worked at hucknall Rolls Royce. Kids have ponies at bestwood stables, so we cover a fair bit of ground every week.

looking forward to coming out although its stress at the moment. have got a place at woodside, near mount barker, not to clear on all the other suburbs yet.

Thanks for your help, look forward to hearing from you

Jenny

Guest abbiedog

hi thanks for the reply, cant drive it on the roads until it has been passed asfit to do so. it wont be on english plates as have to get Australian ones fitted asap. Will contact RAA for name of tow truck driver as yes I need to get ot put of the port.

Jenny

Guest Crushfamily

We imported our Passat last year - no trailer required just a permit which you can buy on a daily basis. No stamping of engine block or chassis/body. The most difficult thing about it is making sure you have the mountings for child seats which maybe present if it is a late car. Suggest you have paperwork from the UK which gives it a reasonable value as ther eis no depreciation allowance anymore. Here are a couple of threads I have contributed to

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/transport-shipping/32104-brining-my-mercedes-car-australia-should-i-shouldnt-i.html

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/transport-shipping/28856-shipping-cars.html